Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2011, 12:21 PM   #85

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The majority of cell phone and texting laws specifically exclude police officers. You may not like it but they are not breaking the law.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2011, 01:46 PM   #86

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivinMyHome View Post
The problem with this thinking is that there has been quite a societal change since 1991. People just will NOT stop for people on the side of the road anymore. In the late '80s and early '90s my parents (yeah, I'm a bit young) would stop to help people with us kids in the car. They even picked up hitchhikers a few times that I remember. Fast forward to nowadays, you hear on the news about good samaritans getting robbed or worse for trying to help. I'm not sure if it is more prevalent today or if it is the news over-reporting sensational stories, but I know that I always think twice before stopping (though I have done it before, usually if I am driving WITH the wife but WITHOUT the kids).

BTW - I have a cell phone, but won't touch it if I'm driving. I would like to be able to call the wife or my work or AAA if I have a problem on the road, so I think it a bit much to stop cell phones from being usable on the freeway or other roads. A much better angle would be to more consistently enforce the distracted driver laws already on the books. (How about, if your passenger takes video of someone texting or talking on their phone and sends it to the cops in real-time so the nearest cruiser could stop them with proof of their crime... There should be an App for that!!).
Because, unless we line the sides of the interstates with police for every mile, it won't change anything. Unfortunately, as you described with the fact that people don't stop, people won't change their behavior unless they are physically forced.

Since enforcement for these laws is like enforcement of speed laws (too few police to make an appreciable behavior change) the only way to effect change on the masses is to take a more draconian approach, which in this case is removing the ability to use of the phone at all.

'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:52 PM   #87

UFO, locally only for emergency communications.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:41 PM   #88

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCooke View Post
UFO, locally only for emergency communications.

Actually, that just gave me an idea of an alternative to no cell coverage. Set up the towers so only 911 and tow companies who pay to be part of it's numbers go through, no Data mode at all, no text capability, just 911 and a list of tow companies that paid to be a part of it on an Operator Dial out.

Would be just as effective and easier to implement than cellular dead zones.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:26 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckExpress View Post
Actually, that just gave me an idea of an alternative to no cell coverage. Set up the towers so only 911 and tow companies who pay to be part of it's numbers go through, no Data mode at all, no text capability, just 911 and a list of tow companies that paid to be a part of it on an Operator Dial out.

While I agree that texting, phoning, eating, talking, changing cds, drinking coffee and any number of other activities are dangerous while driving does it bother anyone else that the consensus in this discussion seems to be that there should be some government agency, law, regulatory group, or whatever that should be given the power to make them illegal or impossible? How about electronic governors to force you to drive within the speed limit. How about sensors that limit radio volume or making it illegal to sell food or coffee unless in a container that cannot be opened while driving? Don't know about you but I am way too old for a nanny. JMHO
Old 12-12-2011, 04:32 PM   #90

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzick View Post
While I agree that texting, phoning, eating, talking, changing cds, drinking coffee and any number of other activities are dangerous while driving does it bother anyone else that the consensus in this discussion seems to be that there should be some government agency, law, regulatory group, or whatever that should be given the power to make them illegal or impossible? How about electronic governors to force you to drive within the speed limit. How about sensors that limit radio volume or making it illegal to sell food or coffee unless in a container that cannot be opened while driving? Don't know about you but I am way too old for a nanny. JMHO
So, what's your solution then? One that will be 99%-100% effective, please? Cause, so far, the only thing that would end the cellphone issue entirely is what I have proposed, draconian as it is.

I'd also love to see Studded tires completely outlawed as well, but that's another subject.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:45 PM   #91

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
R.E: Companies and employees depend on rapid and constant communication. If I need to, I pull over.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:41 PM   #92

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
So, what's your solution then? One that will be 99%-100% effective, please? Cause, so far, the only thing that would end the cellphone issue entirely is what I have proposed, draconian as it is.

I'd also love to see Studded tires completely outlawed as well, but that's another subject.
You completely missed his point. Punishing the ones who obey the laws for the actions of those who do not isn't the answer. And a bad "solution" in place of none also isn't the answer.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:00 PM   #93

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
You completely missed his point. Punishing the ones who obey the laws for the actions of those who do not isn't the answer. And a bad "solution" in place of none also isn't the answer.
There are always situations where those that played by the rules still get shanked in the end because they are usually in the minority, in the case of cellphones, those that are responsible are in the 0.01% to those that are not, which is why we get big rule changes of a similar fashion.

Speed limits/Red Light cameras, for example, are used now more for nailing people for breaking those laws than actual officers because those that obeyed the laws were in the minority compared to those that were in the majority breaking the law.

Now, those of us that might let our vehicle coast over the speed limit and could in the past discuss our way out of a ticket will now automatically get one and at our own expense, go to court to try and reverse it.

This is how it is, now, personal responsibility is gone. If it feels good, do it, its only illegal if you get caught, is the norm now.

And as such, one must respond in kind to effect real changes in behavior.

Since the majority scoff at existing distracted driver/no cellphone/texting laws, then the real only course of solution is to remove the privilege from all, even at the cost of those that are obeying the laws.

I'm always game for a better solution that will be 98% effective in forcing people to change dangerous behavior, more unenforcable No Texting/No Cellphone laws on the books is not going to make a difference.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:23 PM   #94

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:

And if that tower serves those not on the Interstate, how are they supposed to communicate? Laws banning something always hurt law abiding citizens. Criminals will break the law because guess what, they are criminals.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:50 PM   #95

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
And if that tower serves those not on the Interstate, how are they supposed to communicate? Laws banning something always hurt law abiding citizens. Criminals will break the law because guess what, they are criminals.
Two words, Land, Line. Same way we made phone calls before we were gifted with the joy of cellular technology.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:04 PM   #96

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't have a land line. Ban GPS's, ban drive thru fast food. remove radios from all vehicles, no children or passengers allowed, no pets in the car and on and on and on.

Old 12-13-2011, 06:06 AM   #97

Can we while we are at it ban billboards, whose job it is is to distract you and get you to read them versus watching the road... how about those annoying lights from those cars that make everyone else follow the rules that they break... I have no idea how many accidents (sorry they are collisions now) I have seen because on happened and everyone else was not paying attention.
....... let's see....... better thought, ban lawyers and make everyone responsible for the things that THEY do instead of blaming everyone and everything except themselves.
Ok I am done and feel better now.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:03 AM   #98

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCooke View Post
...ban lawyers and make everyone responsible for the things that THEY do instead of blaming everyone and everything except themselves...
Now that one has possibilities!