Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2011, 07:53 PM   #113

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I'm sure that you will accept any law that is passed.

Talking while driving, hands free, is distracting. Having a very detailed conversation with a passenger is distracting.

One day, many moons ago I was sitting behind two people who just happened to be women. You could see that they were engaged in a verbal communications. They were sitting in a left hand turn lane waiting to go into a parking lot. Traffic passed and they sat there and continued to chat. Traffic passed, and the sat there and continued to chat. Traffic passed a third time and they continued to sit there and chat. So I went beep beep, short ones, on my car horn. I immediately received the one finger wave, but they did move into the parking lot.

As I drove by when they were getting out of their car, I extended all 10 fingers and said, "Here are ten more just like it." There was an "Oh, I never....etc.," Now that part was comical, but the conversation they had prior to pulling into that parking lot was distracting them.

Follow anyone talking on a cell phone. It appears that people talking on cell phones do not know that they can use cruise control, but then that could be dangerous also. In any case they are typically doing 10 mph slower than the rest of the traffic at the speed limit. And they are always, well almost always, in the left hand lane. Sheeessh!

p.s., I have an amateur radio license. The same thing can be said about them. Distracting to the user.

There are many other distractions that I guess no one can do anything about. Reaching for the piece of candy on the passenger seat. Reaching for a CD. Changing the station on a radio. Adjusting the thermostat on the aC. And on and on. I still think banning all cell phone use is a good idea.
God, I wish they all drove slower than the rest of traffic.... Most of the ones I've encountered were doing 20-30 OVER the limit, while weaving bobbing, drifting, and so on.

'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2011, 08:21 PM   #114

OK, here I go. The only problem with laws to prevent driver inattention, cell phones, games, laptops, whatever, is that for the worst offenders, they will not be enforced, and in most cases, will be thrown out of courts. The ones that will be affected are the commercial drivers who are required already to use only hands-free equipment to communicate with their dispatchers and companies. Most OTR trucks have digital communications installed that they are prohibited from using while the truck is moving. If civilian drivers were bound by the same rules that commercial drivers are, and those rules were enforced, 90% of the drivers would be off the road. Notice how many accidents are caused by drivers that have already had their licenses suspended, or never had one.

Noelj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:38 PM   #115

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Quote:
I'm sure that you will accept any law that is passed.

Talking while driving, hands free, is distracting. Having a very detailed conversation with a passenger is distracting.

One day, many moons ago I was sitting behind two people who just happened to be women. You could see that they were engaged in a verbal communications. They were sitting in a left hand turn lane waiting to go into a parking lot. Traffic passed and they sat there and continued to chat. Traffic passed, and the sat there and continued to chat. Traffic passed a third time and they continued to sit there and chat. So I went beep beep, short ones, on my car horn. I immediately received the one finger wave, but they did move into the parking lot.

As I drove by when they were getting out of their car, I extended all 10 fingers and said, "Here are ten more just like it." There was an "Oh, I never....etc.," Now that part was comical, but the conversation they had prior to pulling into that parking lot was distracting them.

Follow anyone talking on a cell phone. It appears that people talking on cell phones do not know that they can use cruise control, but then that could be dangerous also. In any case they are typically doing 10 mph slower than the rest of the traffic at the speed limit. And they are always, well almost always, in the left hand lane. Sheeessh!

p.s., I have an amateur radio license. The same thing can be said about them. Distracting to the user.

There are many other distractions that I guess no one can do anything about. Reaching for the piece of candy on the passenger seat. Reaching for a CD. Changing the station on a radio. Adjusting the thermostat on the aC. And on and on. I still think banning all cell phone use is a good idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckExpress View Post
God, I wish they all drove slower than the rest of traffic.... Most of the ones I've encountered were doing 20-30 OVER the limit, while weaving bobbing, drifting, and so on.
Around here they seem to be in slow motion, driving slower and weaving back and forth
Old 12-13-2011, 09:49 PM   #116

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've seen plenty of OTR drivers on cell phones. For them, it should be an automatic license revocation and a hefty 5-digit fine.
And probably the same for everyone else as well.
But this is never going to happen, it's unenforceable.
Somehow the public has to be trained to view mobile device use while driving as unacceptable. It was done with seat belts; nowadays anyone with any brains at all would not drive without their seat belt fastened. There was a time when I drove without a seat belt, in the 70's, until a guy I worked with had a head-on collision with a teenage girl who was killed. She was driving the other car and wasn't wearing a seat belt and they peeled her off the passenger side floor.
Unfortunately I think it will take 2-3 generations before mobile cell/texting use is universally viewed as a really stupid thing to do.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:27 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckExpress View Post
Here's the actual article relating to the NTSB:

Ban on Cell-Phone Use, Texting While Driving Sought by NTSB

Let's see.............................

If congress has to pass the law, it may get done just in time for the 2024 elections.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:42 PM   #118
Moderator Emeritus

Ok folks, this is a very important discussion with a variety of viewpoints. Unfortunately, I have had to delete several posts because they had become far too personal and even unacceptably political. Several were deleted, not because of their individual content, but because they quoted others which were deleted for problematic content.

Remember, we can challenge ideas by presenting alternatives but please don't resort to "killing the messenger".

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:46 PM   #119

TOO much of the world worries about their cell phone. It is not a right, it is a luxury! Life can exist without them....it did for how many years before a cell phone became a common household term?
BAN them all from ALL vehicles...most people can't drive well enough without any distractions, much less having a cell stuck to their ears.

Want to talk on the phone..then do that....just park to do it!
Old 12-13-2011, 10:52 PM   #120

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Congress is actually thinking about legislation that would ban all cell phone use while driving, even hands free units. Doubt it would have a chance, but it sure is going to bring the issue into more people's minds.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:05 AM   #121

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Ok folks, this is a very important discussion with a variety of viewpoints. Unfortunately, I have had to delete several posts because they had become far too personal and even unacceptably political. Several were deleted, not because of their individual content, but because they quoted others which were deleted for problematic content.

Remember, we can challenge ideas by presenting alternatives but please don't resort to "killing the messenger".

Rick
Rick, this topic really has run its course and a point of closure has been reached with the NTSB announcement. It's time to bring it to a close.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:00 AM   #122

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
I'm sure that you will accept any law that is passed...
Bad wording on my part. How about, I would willingly accept...?
Old 12-15-2011, 08:57 AM   #123

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
If I were writing legislation to deal with cell phone use while driving, first draft would go something like this:

A. All cellular providers would be required to push out a programming update to all active cell phones that caused the phone to suspend the user interface (buttons, displays, ringers, notifications, etc.) if the phone was traveling faster than 10mph. (Since all modern cell phones have GPS capability as part of the e911 service, this should be a simple programming change.)

B. Make it a Class A Misdemeanor to possess a phone that does not include this functionality, and a Class C Felony to sell or program phones to circumvent requirement A.

C. Make cellular activity reports available to accident investigators for all parties involved, and require that they be checked as a standard part of accident investigations. (Not transcripts, just activity. Times, dates sent/received, if a call was in progress, etc.) If found to be a contributing factor, prosecute under B provision if applicable, and also suspend driving privileges. 90 days first offense, 1 year second offense, permanent third offense.

D. Fund a voucher program to replace phones incompatible with A, similar to the digital converter box program for HDTV. (FCC requires at least 95% of all cell phones include GPS capability, so 5% buy back.)

E. Monitor distracted driving accident rates to see if the law is having the desired effect, repeal if not.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:51 AM   #124

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Text Messaging and Driving - Texting Can Wait | AT&T

Here is a very powerful video on the AT&T site. It should be enough to convince anyone not to text and drive. Make you kids and grandkids sit and watch it for their own safety.

Ken

Ken
Thanks for the link, powerful message. Just sent the link to my secretary who loves to multi task at 60 mph and my niece. My niece swears she doesn't do it but I want her to see the young man who was a passenger in the car while the driver was texting. His life is now changed forever. In my younger days dad cautioned me about the dangers of drinking and driving once or twice but was relentless in talking to me about not getting in the car with friends who had been drinking.

RAther than more laws that can't or wont be enforced, its been proven you can't legislate responsibility, morality, ethics, etc..., flood the airways with more videos similar to the AT&T video posted by TXiceman.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:11 AM   #125

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
A. All cellular providers would be required to push out a programming update to all active cell phones that caused the phone to suspend the user interface (buttons, displays, ringers, notifications, etc.) if the phone was traveling faster than 10mph. (Since all modern cell phones have GPS capability as part of the e911 service, this should be a simple programming change.)
Amend A to always allow 911 calls.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:35 AM   #126

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I would never attempt to text while driving but the other day while driving I found myself using the features of my GPS to find a service center that sold metered propane. I bet I drove close to a mile while punching buttons. I'd punch one then drive a few seconds punch the next and drive a few more seconds and so on. Never again. The irony is I'm the guy who turns on voice navigation so I don't have to look at the GPS.

My point is texting is only part of the problem. How about the guy with coffee in one hand, cigarette in the other steering with his knee.

As many have said it's an issue of personal responsibility.

Years ago I lived in PA and they had a law that if you were convicted of DUI/DWI you got different color license plates so everyone knew you were a bad character, to make it worse so did the rest of cars at your residence. Worked like a scarlet A. Imagine telling your spouse that he or she would be publicly humiliated for the next year because of your selfish actions. It would interesting to see if that law had any impact on drunk driving in PA.

sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote