Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2008, 04:39 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Ya! I agree how many of you on a retirement don't have oil stock somewhere. And lets see how many of the companies you all work/worked for get by on a 10% profit not many. Plus the cost of fuel is more related to the cost of crude, and don't think for a minute the we the good old USA control the price of oil. Now keep buying the Chinese products so they can bid up the price of crude and pat on the back our friendly Arab and South America buddies selling oil. Buy more American not foreign and it will give the other countries less buying power but buy the foreign as it's a little cheaper and pay at the gas pump. Look at it another way. Is gas really that costly?? How much were you making when gas was $0.29 a gallon and how much are you making today, 10 times as much or 20 times as much? I know now in retirement I'm really pay less for the gaas than I did when it was $0.29. And yes I wish it was back at a $1.00 a gallon too but putting it in perspective and not trying to blame our political agents for OUR OWN GREED makes more sense. JMO

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2008, 06:38 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Look at it another way. Is gas really that costly?? How much were you making when gas was $0.29 a gallon and how much are you making today, 10 times as much or 20 times as much? I know now in retirement I'm really pay less for the gaas than I did when it was $0.29. And yes I wish it was back at a $1.00 a gallon too but putting it in perspective and not trying to blame our political agents for OUR OWN GREED makes more sense. JMO </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I look at it slightly different, about 3 years ago it was around 1.12(bad enough), now its over 3.00 and during the last 3 years my take home pay has actually went down about 10%. AND, that doesn't take into account the fact that everything you use on a daily basis has went up close to 100% as well as your increased costs for medical, and on and on. I don't share the outlook that some have since I see my spendable income going away at a rapid rate at the time I need to see it going the other way. JMHO.

Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 02:06 PM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I can only say it seems a number of folks posting on this thread would benefit greatly from a few courses in economics and business.

If you look at the Exxon cost of doing business and investment you would see they make less ROI than many businesses you would otherwise LOVE.

Exxon/Mobile make money on all oil and the profits are derived as a percentage of sales. They are a huge company but the percentage profit is, IIRC, less than most other businesses.

Bottom line (no pun intended), They sell a lot and they make a lot.

BTW don't forget, E/M makes about $0.06/gallon. The US government makes $0.40/gallon without lifting a finger. Just who should you be concerned about??????

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 02:09 PM   #18
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 08:21 PM   #19
jfb

At least we have the fuel to run our economy, heat our houses and operate our toys. Luckily, any tax on the oil industry will only be passed on to us and hopefully won't affect the overall supply. However, we might have the tax and controls, then things will really go down the tubes....
Old 02-04-2008, 06:05 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Sometimes the best messages have few (if any) words.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:41 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hamguy:
If you look at the Exxon cost of doing business and investment you would see they make less ROI than many businesses you would otherwise LOVE. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Walmart's (our home away from home ) ROI is greater than Exxons.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 11:26 AM   #22
paz

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
Walmart's (our home away from home ) ROI is greater than Exxons.

-Tom </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Aw, geez. Now you're going to get someone started in on Wal-Mart.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 03:00 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 06:19 PM   #24

[/QUOTE]
No, aside from dividends, much of it gets plowed back into exploration, production, transportation, refining and distribution facilities - unfortunately, due to our environmental laws and NIMBY (not in MY back yard!!), the new refineries are overseas.

For example, BP's Thunder Horse platform shown below cost over $1 billion and was damaged in 2005 by a Gulf of Mexico hurricane before it produced its first barrel of oil.

My point exactly! (I was being faceious in my original quote)
Hillbilly2
Old 02-11-2008, 09:07 AM   #25

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hillbilly2:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No, aside from dividends, much of it gets plowed back into exploration, production, transportation, refining and distribution facilities - unfortunately, due to our environmental laws and NIMBY (not in MY back yard!!), the new refineries are overseas.

For example, BP's Thunder Horse platform shown below cost over $1 billion and was damaged in 2005 by a Gulf of Mexico hurricane before it produced its first barrel of oil.

My point exactly! (I was being faceious in my original quote)
Hillbilly2[/QUOTE]
knowing all of that it still cost too much to fill my tank with fuel when diesel cost more than gasoline.
John
Old 02-16-2008, 07:45 PM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Why does diesel cost more than gasoline. When I was a kid, couple of days ago, diesel was always less than regular gas. Who let the cat out of the bag that I was going to buy something with a diesel engine in it?
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 04:40 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
1. Diesel (and the crude oil fractions from which it is refined) are in more demand than gasoline.

A. - as heating oil in North America

B. - due to the industrialization of China, India and other developing nations

C. - as kerosene for jet engine fuels

2. - Ultra low sulfur diesel costs more to refine than low sulfur diesel and its predecessors

3. - Diesel fuel is more heavily taxed than gasoline based on the premise that the heavy vehicles that typically consume it use the roads more and cause more deterioration than gasoline-powered vehicles.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 03:51 PM   #28

I really detest people who try to rationalize the high cost of gas and diesel by saying "adjusted for inflation, etc" the cost is less than it was "whenever". That is only encouraging more greed by the oil companies.