Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-08-2011, 05:37 PM   #15
In your country and mine Ramblin, I agree 100% with your underatanding. I have a small business and getting workers is next to impossible.

98 Beaver Monterey, 3126 Cat
2010 Toyota Matrix on dolly
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2011, 05:47 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Think as parents we need to convey to our kids, the time to learn a skill any skill even if you're going to college, is when you are young and can afford to work for 8 or 10 bucks an hour. then the boss will need you and want to keep you. At age 25 -30 you need 25 - 30 an hour to stay afloat. No skill no Dice.

Old 10-08-2011, 05:52 PM   #17
I'm assuming most of you responding are near my age, OLD! We were able, with hard work, to acquire assets. The problem today is that most of the country has a minus sign in front of their net worth no matter how hard they work! I've heard that was because of single moms buying houses! Then of course you can always blame our problems on illegals! However, if you follow the money it will lead you directly to the door of Goldman Sacs. Pointing to Steve Jobs and saying the American dream is still alive is misleading at best. He is our age! If you just happen to be the guy who comes up with the next Facebook or Google life is grand. However, 99.9% will never see that opportunity. Life maybe great for us. However, we've squandered the American Dream for our kids and grand kids. We are all living a dream traveling all over the world enjoying life. The next generation will will never see that dream. They will be trapped in a hamster wheel working till they die! Maybe that is the reason some of our politicians see no need for Social security or Medicare?
Old 10-08-2011, 05:56 PM   #18
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I have always lived by the rule " live within your means " period. If you only have a household income of 30k a year, how do you own or lease a 40k SUV???? Why do you always have the latest cell phone, why & how did you get a mortgage with $0 down? I can go on and on. Thank the Lord I work for top local that for the most part is recession proof ( wholesale food warehousing ) fact their hiring at $13.50 to start. 16+ by your 3rd year.
Jim, Diane & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Old 10-08-2011, 06:00 PM   #19
No no no, I already have enough warnings. Dont post fool, you will just get more. Okay ok I aint gonna say nothing.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:03 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Again, if we are defining the American Dream as the promise that it is possible to pull oneself up by one's bootstraps and excel... Then it is still here, alive and well.

It's just that most don't make it to that level.

If we're defining it as the right to a certain standard of living, then IMHO that is simply crap.

A good friend is a union electrician. He's been more or less unemployed for the past 3 years. Whenever his unemployment runs out, the union gives him a call long enough to qualify again. He's so far amanged to hold onto his 3500 sf house in the suburbs, just bought a new car, still has his twenty five thousand dollar Harley.. He's in debt up to his ears, but still hanging on.
And he positively will not look for or accept any job other than as a union electrician (commercial, foreman.)

Someone above made a remark suggesting I was from the "monied class" and that why I "look down on people who work for a living?"
That one I really should take private, cause I find it WAY offensive. But I'm sure Rick will tidy things up if required

My father was a garbage man. My mother a disabled prescription drug addict. They divorced when I was 11. I dropped out of high school at 16 and joined Uncle Sam's Navy.
I left the Navy knowing no limits, and eventually started my own business and became what most would call successful.

And anyone who thinks owning and running a small business is not work, well you just come over here and take the weight off my shoulders for a while.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:10 PM   #21
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This is actually a bi-product of modern day society. A division of the classes so to speak. A factory worker train's his mind to think he can only get factory jobs. Farm workers think they can only do harvesting and maintenance work. College graduates think they can only be employed in high paying careers, etc. People like Steve Jobs are the exception. More like a square peg in a round hole, he formed society's views instead of allowing society to form him.
There are many successful creative people that did not comply to the traditional ideas of society the way most people do. Mark Zuckerberg, Bill Gates, Ted Turner, Tom Hanks and John Glen (to name a few) were all college drop outs. These were all free thinkers that were not afraid to think outside the box.
IMHO it is going to take a lot more creative thinking from us as a nation to tackle the problem of unemployment and civil unrest before it gets out of control. If the politics of "business as usual" continues in Washington, all I can say is, God bless us all!
'98 Gulf Stream Sunsport 325, 7.5L Banks Power Pack, Koni FSD's, Air Bags, ReadyBrute Elite,
2000 Honda Accord

Old 10-08-2011, 06:40 PM   #22
Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Let me explain myself. When I got out of High School in 65 the economy was pretty good,plenty of jobs to go around. My first job was a professional boxer(boxed hats at Stetson Hat Co. in Philly) My next job was stuffing seat cushions by blowing felt into them(quit at noon the first day) Next it was Sears filing the daily charge reciepts before computers. (I was the only male there 20 teenage girls the boss told us we weren't allowed to talk as we worked, lasted 5 days before I went over the table and chased him into his office. After all we have the freedom of speech. Then AAmco Transmissions as the receiving clerk, try unloading trailer loads of trans clutches and 55 gallon drums of fluid. I stuck that out and on the 89 th day, right before the raise they told me I wasn't working out. Took a deep breath and came up with a plan. Started taking apprenticeship tests Navy Yard , mailman, carpenter and plumber.Passed them all got offered 4 jobs in 3 days. My uncle was a carpenter so thats where I went. My plan was to be a foreman by 25, I was a Superintendent by 23, on the biggest concrete job in the city, the Federal Reserve Bank. I was working for a little Jamaican as black as coal Kemel Dawkins. He had faith in me. he let me a 23 year old bearded long haired hippie run his job. When it was over he got a letter of commendation from Turner Construction (one of the largest in the world) for the quality of the job. For the next 35 years I supervised jobs within 100 miles of Philly. I'm a proud Union Carpenter and in my day I'd challenge anyone to out work me, but that wasn't why I was successful. God graced me with a 145 IQ a mechanical aptitude in the 99 percentile. Without these gifts from god, hard work wouldn't have mattered. Think of the phrase there but the grace of God go I. I think of it everyday when I walk pass those not granted my gifts, I didn't earn these innate abilities they were granted at birth. Think about this the next time you look down on someone and just wish they were gone, "there but for the grace of God go I"
Old 10-08-2011, 07:03 PM   #23
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The American Dream is not what you possess.........But the freedom to do so...........Dream.........It is but what we make it.....
May the wind be at your back,The sun in your face
And your love by your side!!
USMC 68/74 RVN 69/70. Semper-Fi!
Old 10-09-2011, 09:34 AM   #24
Originally Posted by hondo122 View Post
Tell me, I'm sure we all could learn something
If you can "honestly" believe that I had open heart surgery with no anestehetists; I'll pass along a little more. If this sounds to far fetched, I'll not post any more. Truth sometimes is stranger than fiction..
I was declared dead nearly fourty years ago.
I retired at age 53; 29 years ago. A whole lot happened in my life time.
No rich parents involved.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:10 AM   #25
Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
If you read my medical history you'll know I'll believe anything a Doctor can screw up. Bring it on, when you're done I'll tell tail of doctors, nurses and hospitals. But I'm still here and so are you so there are some folks medicine can't kill
Old 10-09-2011, 10:39 AM   #26
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to MegaRoadie
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Yep, very well said.

As for the American work ethic still being as alive and well as it ever was... I'm sure hearing a lot of news reports about crops rotting in the field in Alabama in spite of an unemployment rate of >10%.

The crops rot in the field cause the unions wont let the "american worker" work in those awful, dangerous, unsafe conditions... were it NOT for the illegal aliens everyone bashes at the drop of a hat we would all starve or be paying 25.00/pound for tomatoes so that the unions could extract their blood money insurance and medical payments from the growers !
05 Itasca Suncruiser, Stock w/ScanGuage II,
2012 Honda Accord TOAD,Home Based in Spring Hill, Florida...Retired Navy Officer
Old 10-09-2011, 12:33 PM   #27
Steve Jobs along with many others were successful because they had vision and weren't afraid to "roll the dice" and starve for what they believed in. You usually don't start a business and become an over night success. You work hard and sacrifice for years before you even start to make money.

When I started my last business 28 years ago I had to sell everything I owned to get it going and there were many days my DW and I didn't eat. We were evicted from more than a few dumpy apartments and slept in our truck. All this after being successful in the corporate world and enjoying the good life. It took us 4 years to see any real money and everyone around us said we were foolish to think our idea would work but we never gave up hope and it all worked out.

Too many people want instant rewards and guaranteed results. They won't give up what they have to roll the dice and make it better.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:52 PM   #28
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by MegaRoadie View Post
The crops rot in the field cause the unions wont let the "american worker" work in those awful, dangerous, unsafe conditions... were it NOT for the illegal aliens everyone bashes at the drop of a hat we would all starve or be paying 25.00/pound for tomatoes so that the unions could extract their blood money insurance and medical payments from the growers !
Sorry, but Alabama is a right to work state so the unions have nothing to say about working in the fields. The problem is that it is easier to sit back and collect welfare.

Jon & Sue Francis (Retired U.S.A.F.)
Lil Girl-Rescued, Abby Rescued, Peaches Rescued
06 Allegro 35TSA Workhorse Chassis
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
Closed Thread