Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2011, 09:12 PM   #71

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Automobilist View Post
Employees have to understand they must produce more than they cost. You whine about having to stay late to finish a job so the machine can get back to work? Doesn't fly with me. If that means a piece of equipment won't be producing because you found it inconvenient, guess who's on our list of non-team players?
My replacement came in and was on time. the company did NOT have the part(s) to fix it.That machine quit proudcing because it was not maintaned. All they did was move the operator 100 feet down the shop to same type of machine that is 60 years older and 75% as fast as the new one.
The company finds it inconveint to replace the people who quit so now we really are not the maintance department, we are more correctly the band aid emergency fix it now department.
And tell me this would it make sense for a plant that runs 24/7 to have 76% of its "maintance" employees on day shift and 12% on evening ??

(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2011, 02:30 AM   #72

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
And tell me this would it make sense for a plant that runs 24/7 to have 76% of its "maintance" employees on day shift and 12% on evening ??
Last place I worked, I was the maintenance manager, the whole maintenance team for that matter, and only worked days.. 3 shift, 24/7. What you describe is the norm..

Old 10-11-2011, 03:28 PM   #73

Funny, I thought that someone who OWNS the company always had the right to make the decisions , especially over those he PAYS. But Ive been wrong before.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:37 PM   #74
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
It probably would if the great majority of scheduled maintenance was performed on the day shift.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
Old 10-11-2011, 05:42 PM   #75

"It probably would if the great majority of scheduled maintenance was performed on the day shift."

So the owner doesnt get to make that decision?
Old 10-11-2011, 08:38 PM   #76

WHEN someone 30 years old or younger drops in here with THEIR success story - based upon hard work and imagination - THEN, we can talk about the "American Dream" being alive TODAY - but MOST of the stories *I* see here, are OLDER folks who had ALREADY made it BEFORE what has happened in this country in the last 3 decades or so...
Old 10-11-2011, 08:47 PM   #77

I think you will find that those of us "that made it " started in or before our 30s. If you put an age on sucess , you ARE looking for failure.

If you are afraid to fail, you will NEVER make it in America.

Facebook, Twitter, Apple, and the list goes on, they weren't 60 plus u know.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:57 PM   #78

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post
WHEN someone 30 years old or younger drops in here with THEIR success story - based upon hard work and imagination - THEN, we can talk about the "American Dream" being alive TODAY - but MOST of the stories *I* see here, are OLDER folks who had ALREADY made it BEFORE what has happened in this country in the last 3 decades or so...
I'm 47. Dropped out of high school when I was 16. Spent the next 10 years floundering in menial jobs, trying to make it in the music biz. Became a computer geek, self taught. Took a couple of certification courses, got a entry-level job in I.T. in 1991 at a company that invested in my ongoing training and development. Today, after 20 years in the computer biz, I'm the director of IT for a mid sized company, doing very well. For me, the dream is alive and well.

I'm not under 30, but I made it all happen in 20 years, against all odds.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:00 PM   #79
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
"It probably would if the great majority of scheduled maintenance was performed on the day shift."

So the owner doesnt get to make that decision?
I think you're missing something here. If the owner put 76% of the staff on the day shift and that's where the scheduled maintenance is performed, that's certainly his call and, as I said, it probably makes sense. I don't think I said anything that questioned the owner's right to run his business any way he wants.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
Old 10-11-2011, 09:10 PM   #80

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:

Funny, I thought that someone who OWNS the company always had the right to make the decisions , especially over those he PAYS. But Ive been wrong before.
I've spent the last 20 years working in 24/7 manufacturing companies, and ALL of them had the vast majority of maintenance folks working 1st shift. They keep only a skeleton crew on the off-shifts to handle whatever crops up.

The owner of the company has the RIGHT to make the decisions, but the SMART owner delegates those decisions to someone he has hired to be the subject matter expert in the area in question.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:58 AM   #81

I don't think that anyone disputes that it is possible to still achieve the American dream of getting ahead and ending at a good-high life. But what I think is that it is far far more difficult to do that today as opposed to say 1971 when I started working full time. IMHO the odds are much longer today.

One obvious signal is that in 1968 there were protests in the streets about the war in Vietnam. Today there are protests in the streets about Wall Street ripping us off. I wish it was only Wall Street.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:13 AM   #82

Corporations have sold the middle class down the road in search of cheaper labor. We don't make electronics, clothing, steel. Don't blame the victim. The Death of American Manufacturing | Economy | theTrumpet.com by the Philadelphia Church of God.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:39 AM   #83

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Quote:

Just as in economics numbers don't lie, I see 88% of the maintenance crew accounted f,or when did the other 12% work? I don't like to assume but I would guess the graveyard shift midnight to 8am. What hasn't they been factored into this discussion. I've done maintenance at refineries where the bulk of the work was done then to keep lines running during the peak hours. Just a thought.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:20 PM   #84

If people were not looking for cheap products, there would not be any. Curtis Mathis, RCA, Magnavox, Zenith, etc, etc, etc, would still be in business and people would still be making good money working for them.

When you offer a cheaper product, (not as good, but cheaper) people are the blame for the failure of our mfg companies.

Toasters at WM for 7.00 that last 6 months. TVs for 100.00 that last a year. ETc,. etc, etc.

Blame the American people for the loss, not the corp. They just fill what the customers demand.