Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-08-2011, 12:59 AM   #1
Registered User
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cherry Creek, BC Canada
Posts: 7,650
The American Dream is Far From Dead

I think the attachment exemplifies the fact that the American Dream is alive and well if we work at it hard enough.
Attached Images
 
__________________

__________________
Possum is offline  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2011, 07:20 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
I think the attachment exemplifies the fact that the American Dream is alive and well if we work at it hard enough.

The key wording there is "if we work at it hard enough". That seems to be something a lot of folks forget in this I want all and I want it now mind set.
I hear people on the news demanding a $20. an hour minimum wage and a guaranteed "living wage" whether you are working or not...
I have to wonder where they think all this wealth is going to come from and what happened to the work ethic in our country. I hope I'm wrong, but I believe people like Steve Jobs are few and far between now day.
__________________

__________________
92' Holiday Rambler 1000
The wife, me and two furry kids
If you have it, a truck brought it.
blackf3504dr is offline  
Old 10-08-2011, 10:47 AM   #3
Registered User
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Posts: 1,485
The work ethic is alive and well in America, the problem is the work is in China, India, Mexico and on and on and on. This stuff about jobs that Americans are unwilling to do is a lie! Americans will do anything paid a fair wage, just ask the guy who pumps out your septic tank or the plumber that has to open a line filled with sewage. The problem is we've been sold this cheap Chinese junk and told that's what you need. What we need are good honest employers that don't skim all the fat of the gravy.
__________________
hondo122 is offline  
Old 10-08-2011, 11:24 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Gary - K7GLD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,696
Problem isn't the DREAM, it's the ability in present times to make those dreams a reality - shucks, just keeping the family fed, housed and clothed properly is an "American Dream" for many in our society today - it sure is NOT like it was 50 years or so ago when Jobs got HIS start!
__________________
John Day....|'88 Winnebago Super Chief 27ft. Class A
Eastern .....|'88 KIT model 240 24 ft. 5er
Oregon ......|'02 Dodge/Cummins 2500 Quad Cab
Gary - K7GLD is offline  
Old 10-08-2011, 03:36 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,358
I'd tell my story but no one would believe me.
__________________
melvonnar is offline  
Old 10-08-2011, 04:03 PM   #6
Registered User


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,198
Ugh.... here we go getting political again.

The problem with the American Dream is the notion of the last couple decades that everyone deserved the payoff no matter what.
The unions and the "working class" priced our products right out of the market with this belief that everyone who screws widgets together on an assembly line deserves a 3000 SF house in the suburbs, 2 NEW cars, and 6 TV's with cable...

The "American Dream" is about the possibility of reaching for the stars.
NEVER about a guaranteed level of wealth.

Steve wasn't screwing widgits together. He changed the world.
__________________
JimM68 is offline  
Old 10-08-2011, 04:53 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Tallyrver's Avatar


 
Heartland RV Club
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
Ugh.... here we go getting political again.

The problem with the American Dream is the notion of the last couple decades that everyone deserved the payoff no matter what.
The unions and the "working class" priced our products right out of the market with this belief that everyone who screws widgets together on an assembly line deserves a 3000 SF house in the suburbs, 2 NEW cars, and 6 TV's with cable...

The "American Dream" is about the possibility of reaching for the stars.
NEVER about a guaranteed level of wealth.

Steve wasn't screwing widgits together. He changed the world.
Well said..

A person should be able to make what he is worth ,make a great product ,do great work ...make great pay. Do lousy or run of the mill work ,then get what you deserve. How can someone expect to be paid the same as another person who is putting in extra effort to advance themselves while just doing enough to get by?

Wayne
__________________
Wayne and Debbie
2014 Gateway 3650BH
2008 F350 dually diesel .
www.mudflapscampingclub.com
Tallyrver is offline  
Old 10-08-2011, 05:21 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
 
RickO's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Litchfield Park, Arizona
Posts: 10,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
Ugh.... here we go getting political again.

The problem with the American Dream is the notion of the last couple decades that everyone deserved the payoff no matter what.
The unions and the "working class" priced our products right out of the market with this belief that everyone who screws widgets together on an assembly line deserves a 3000 SF house in the suburbs, 2 NEW cars, and 6 TV's with cable...

The "American Dream" is about the possibility of reaching for the stars.
NEVER about a guaranteed level of wealth.

Steve wasn't screwing widgits together. He changed the world.
Yep, very well said.

As for the American work ethic still being as alive and well as it ever was... I'm sure hearing a lot of news reports about crops rotting in the field in Alabama in spite of an unemployment rate of >10%.

Rick
__________________
Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline  
Old 10-08-2011, 05:26 PM   #9
Registered User
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Posts: 1,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
Ugh.... here we go getting political again.

The problem with the American Dream is the notion of the last couple decades that everyone deserved the payoff no matter what.
The unions and the "working class" priced our products right out of the market with this belief that everyone who screws widgets together on an assembly line deserves a 3000 SF house in the suburbs, 2 NEW cars, and 6 TV's with cable...

The "American Dream" is about the possibility of reaching for the stars.
NEVER about a guaranteed level of wealth.

Steve wasn't screwing widgits together. He changed the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallyrver View Post
Well said..

A person should be able to make what he is worth ,make a great product ,do great work ...make great pay. Do lousy or run of the mill work ,then get what you deserve. How can someone expect to be paid the same as another person who is putting in extra effort to advance themselves while just doing enough to get by?

Wayne
From the disdain evident for the "working class" (your quote not mine) I can only assume that you are of the monied class, either self made or inherited, but not from the sweat of your brow. I suppose we could go back to the serf system that seemed to have worked nicely in the middle ages. No one believes that everyone should be paid the same, that is communism, rather that those that labor be allowed to make a living wage for said labor. I don't expect a garbage man to be paid as well as a hedge fund manager, although the garbage man probably does a job much more valuable for society. This discussion will go no where because folks have become too self centered to care about the common good.Oh well thats for another post.
__________________
hondo122 is offline  
Old 10-08-2011, 05:30 PM   #10
Registered User
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Posts: 1,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Yep, very well said.

As for the American work ethic still being as alive and well as it ever was... I'm sure hearing a lot of news reports about crops rotting in the field in Alabama in spite of an unemployment rate of >10%.

Rick
RickO you're forgetting the living wage thing, maybe that's why they passed the illegal alien bill so the kids wouldn't go to school and pick those beans, just a thought.
__________________
hondo122 is offline  
Old 10-08-2011, 05:33 PM   #11
Registered User
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Posts: 1,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by melvonnar View Post
I'd tell my story but no one would believe me.
Tell me, I'm sure we all could learn something
__________________
hondo122 is offline  
Old 10-08-2011, 05:37 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
 
RustyJC's Avatar


 
Texas Boomers Club
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Cypress, Texas USA
Posts: 8,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo122 View Post
The work ethic is alive and well in America, the problem is the work is in China, India, Mexico and on and on and on. This stuff about jobs that Americans are unwilling to do is a lie! Americans will do anything paid a fair wage, just ask the guy who pumps out your septic tank or the plumber that has to open a line filled with sewage. The problem is we've been sold this cheap Chinese junk and told that's what you need. What we need are good honest employers that don't skim all the fat of the gravy.
There's a story on page A10 of today's Houston Chronicle regarding a Colorado farmer who tried to hire locals to harvest his corn and onions. He was paying $10.50/hour. As the headline states, however, "The jobless say working in the fields is too difficult."

Rusty
__________________
2016 Ram Longhorn 3500 Dually 4x4 CCLB, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline  
Old 10-08-2011, 05:46 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
 
RickO's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Litchfield Park, Arizona
Posts: 10,530
I know I've already posted in this thread but I'm going to put my Admin hat on for a moment and ask everyone to focus on the topic and NOT allow comments to become personal.

Thanks

Rick
__________________
Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline  
Old 10-08-2011, 06:22 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Ramblin's Avatar
 
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
There's a story on page A10 of today's Houston Chronicle regarding a Colorado farmer who tried to hire locals to harvest his corn and onions. He was paying $10.50/hour. As the headline states, however, "The jobless say working in the fields is too difficult."

Rusty
There is apparently not enough pain associated with being jobless, these days. During the depression, if a farmer advertised that sort of (inflation adjusted) wage, he'd have been overrun with people from all over the country to pick his corn and onions. Hardship is a great motivator. Those people could not depend upon government to provide them with food and shelter. They would have been mortified to hear someone say "I'd rather be jobless than pick onions". In fact, being jobless wasn't an option. If a job came along, you took it.

In my day (and I'm not that old), there was no work that was beneath me. I was not embarrased to flip hamburgers, pick tobacco, wash dishes in a restaurant, clean bathrooms in a church, mow lawns (I did all those). On the contrary, I would have been embarrased to have been unemployed, living on someone elses dime. There seems to be a disturbing trend towards shameless entitlement these days.
__________________

__________________
Ramblin is offline  
Closed Thread



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Differences: American Eagle vs American Dream H.Huester Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum 3 11-28-2011 05:14 PM
1999 American Dream Dano52 Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum 17 07-13-2011 04:24 PM
Contemplating a 2000 American Dream, any advice on known problems I should look for Auzzi Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum 9 01-13-2011 07:40 AM
Monaco Diplomat vs American Dream jladmalone Class A Motorhome Discussions 10 01-07-2011 12:55 PM
Koni or Bilstein Shocks for a 1998 Fleetwood American Dream lmiller664 Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum 6 05-23-2010 10:18 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.