Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2017, 11:34 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Another Terro fan here, we seem to battle the darned things a time or two each year. First the tiny ones, then the big ones.

Because we have 8 cats I'm a fan of diatomaceous earth, and of boric acid powder. They are cheap and I put them around the hoses, bases on the jacks...the ants (and other insects) hate them both.
On the Road with 13 Rescued Cats
LynnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2017, 04:46 AM   #16

I was told that a line of 20 mule team borax around the tires would keep bugs out. I do this when putting it in STORAGE, not on trips. If you are full timing in one place I would try that.
Ernie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 01:19 PM   #17

was my joke in post 8 just overlooked or just not funny i know i have a strange sense of humor at times.
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 5.7 HD cooling
Durango Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 01:24 PM   #18

My bug guy recommended Terro, and it works. Home Depot and Lowe's have it.

Old 08-13-2017, 03:20 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dave View Post
was my joke in post 8 just overlooked or just not funny i know i have a strange sense of humor at times.
All-

For those who may have missed the joke, here is a reprise:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter
My wife swears by white vinegar.

Well i put a bottle of vinegar in the middle of the floor, stood next to it, and swore like a sailor. They are still here lmao...
DD-

I appreciate the sly humor, but missed it in the blizzard of other advice.

The English language is strange; two men can watch a building burning, one remarking "It's burning down" and the other "It's burning up," and they both are correct.

When you swore, did you do it "at" the vinegar, in which case you were not "swearing by," which explains why "TechWriter's" advice did not work, or were you near to the vinegar, in which case you were swearing "by" it (in one sense), and thus the inefficacy of "TechWriter's" advice cannot be explained?

There, I got that out of my system.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:25 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dave View Post
I never comment on what anyone says about their wife. Mamma didn't raise any fools.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 11:10 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I never comment on what anyone says about their wife. Mamma didn't raise any fools.
Sorry i certainly didnt see it that way or mean it that way at all...

Anyway so reporting back on the ants, they are gone!!! I am a true terro believer for sure. Walmart did nto have any boric acid powder, they sold out of it but lowes had the terro with spikes and two free bait traps. Someone stole one of the bait traps out of the box but i didnt need it anyway. Terro kicked their butt..

Then i found the boric acid powder at dollar general, so i put that outside and also inside in some of the (non food) cabinets, and also down by the heater and under the counter and back in the corner under the stove, along the wall by the door and also along the back wall they got access too somehow. Its been three days and they are gone gone gone!!! I found a ton of dead bodies yesterday so i totally cleaned everything in the RV top to bottom and then mopped and vaccumed. I left the power there to keep them away.

I have also moved my cookie jar and sealed it tight. I found only one ant wondering around this afternoon but thats all.

Then i went out side and put some powder on all of their dunes by the road, oh they loved that lol.. But they got me back, i was painting and they attacked my ankle again, but this time i doctored it up right away by washing it and puting anti itch stuff and tripple antibiotic on it and its ok. Then i went out and attacked that bunch by giving them a dose of both bug spray and powder

It looks llke its gonna be a problem with the neighbors on the north of me as they are letting their grass get really tall. I mow 2ft outside of my fence on their side but i feel when snake season gets here ill have to put down some snake powder or spray as well around my fence zone, because im sure they will be in their grass somewhere.
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 5.7 HD cooling
Durango Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 12:21 AM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Anything with an exoskeleton-ants, cockroaches, etc. is vulnerable to boric acid. It is not poisonous or harmful to pets unless it's eaten by the spoonful, the powder gets into insects exoskeleton or they eat it, and kills them.
Yup, Borax works great and is non-toxic. Find were they're trail is and spread dry Borax powder along that trail. They take it back to colony and if the winds are right they queen gets it...

Also, have had great success with all manner of bugs using Ortho Home Defense. My grandma hated ants and once we started using this at her house they pretty much stopped even coming in...
Old 08-18-2017, 01:15 AM   #23

We have used Bug Stop by Spectracide with great success. Easy to use with its sprayer. Much easier than sprinkling powder around the tires. It kills ants on contact and keeps killing them if they try to cross the treated area. You can also use it indoors and we haven't stained anything, as advertised. I have no idea about use around pets.
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote