Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-26-2012, 04:02 PM   #1
The cost of reckless driving

Friday, we had a highway man hit by a semi. This was in a construction zone. A semi drove around the right side of the crash truck that was sitting in the driving lane. The semi driver did not want to merge to the left and tried to pass the workers on the shoulder. He did not hit his brakes for over 200 feet after he hit this guy. This driver now faces 12 years in prison and a $10,000 fine. The man killed was 50. This is enough loss and cost by itself but there is more. When we go out to blacktop patch the roads, we now have to have a driver in the blacktop truck, two people at the back of the truck doing the work, two trucks with crash devices on them and behind them, a truck with an arrow board on it. The job that used to be done by two people, now takes six. When doing jobs on the Interstate, we have to have signs set up for a mile behind us and if the job is overnight, we have to have signs set up for three miles behind us. This is all do to lawsuits by drivers that do not pay attention and sue. this extra man power costs us all. The bad thing is, it is getting worse not better. Be careful out there.

95 Winnebago Brave Sport. 27'
94 33' Fleetwood Wilderness
CharlieTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2012, 06:36 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Just set up a truck with a crash barrier and a Gatling gun or some such. Idiots drive and need culling!

My son is a recovery wrecker driver and he is in harms way as idiots like the above road by on the highway.

Denise and Dennis Dalla-Vicenza Co-pilot Mizzie
Gracie a Winnebago 29 RQ +
George a Suzuki Toad
(Co-pilots emeritus Furb, Izzy & Mikkael)
Cherry Creek British Columbia
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:08 PM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
I worked for a few months on an overpass job on Hwy.1 out of Vancouver. Traffic control had traffic slowed to 80kph and 60kph. We would be dumping gravel close to the fast lane and some of those idiots would come by you a foot away doing well over a 100 kph. The wind blast is bad when a semi goes by you when your in a M/H, but try it in a truck with your box in the air. They finally had to shut down one lane and back up traffic for miles just for those idiots.
Dennis & Marcie & Hook The Jack Russell, 2001 HR Imperial 38wds 350 Cummins, 07 Chevy Trailblazer/Blue Ox/Ready Brake, 04 Dodge 3500 Cummins,
slickest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:05 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It is amazing at the number of drivers that show no sense of respect...for that matter ..NO SENSE at all, when the approach any construction. You get to noticing the ones that never even slow down for an emergency vehicle on the shoulder. Most state have a law now which is referred to as "give - way". This means you slow down to 20 MPH under the posted speed limit or scoot over a lane away from the vehicle.

Please pay attention to your driving as well as the ones that do not know how...which seems to be an ever increasing number.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:38 PM   #5
I worked as a flagger for part of a summer, it was hours of sheer boredom punctuated by moments of absolute terror. After I had to bail over a barrier to keep from being run over we had a police cruiser sit at the site.
Years later I reported a driver who pulled a stunt similar to what you describe. The RCMP asked if I was willing to go to court if necessary, I certainly was, but the moron at least had the sense to own up and take his lumps.
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:02 AM   #6
what galls me the worst about construction is the jackwagons that drive down the right-of-way (on the grass) past all the normal, law-abiding, polite citizens who are patiently (more or less) WAITING THEIR PROPER TURN to be allowed past the zone.... and then cut in front of them/us.
who said you could do that? what special permission was granted to YOU that you feel so gifted as to disregard the rights of others simply because you don't feel like waiting?
this is why i love camera phones. grab a plate picture and report them.
just as i do when i catch jackwagons parked in the fire lane anywhere.
raccoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:45 AM   #7
Send a message via Skype™ to brandypup
thanks for posting. Honestly I never kneew why there were 2+ miles of roads blocked for a corner of road work.

People are idoits and behind a wheel they are dangerous idiots.

Prayers for the guys family.
brandypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:11 PM   #8
Newmar Owners Club
One thing you can't do: you can't fix stupid. I was taught many years ago to slow down and put the flashers on, and still do. I did 15 years with a volunteer Fire company and had my fair share of close calls at accident scenes. Stupid folks will always be stupid, so no sense concerning yourself with what they do.
1999 NEWMAR American Star * Newmar Kountry Kklub # 19708 * THOUSAND TRAILS * 2006 Chevy 3500 Dually Dmax/Ally * Curt Q20 * Prodigy P2 *US ARMY 1965-1967 * Vietnam Veteran 1966-1967 * Life Member VFW *
99-Am.Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:30 PM   #9
i'm astounded by these people. is it some kind of elitist bullcrap that they're spoonfed from birth? i simply do NOT understand the rationality of behaving that way... is it because they feel some sort of anonymity when inside their vehicle? no-one will ever know it was ME, right? except for the fact that you have state-issued LICENSE plates..... and i have a CAMERA capable of catching those fleeting numbers.....

i have a solution for bad drivers: police ought to carry a simple hole punch with them, and punch a hole in the license of every cretin scofflaw that so far hasn't warranted an actual ticket.... every time the cretin has to hand over his license, the officer will know that he's dealing with a habitual offender... and punch the license again. get enough holes, and the license is useless.... get into a serious accident, and the investigating officer (AND the Court) will realize that the cretin was most likely to blame. sort of like a Subway punch card, with little to no reward....
raccoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:40 PM   #10
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It gets worse.. I have seen cases (Dispatched troopers to them in fact) where a road was closed,, Ramps and lanes barricaded, A driver drove up on the grass to get around the barricade and high-balled (NOTE: this is a rail road term, but in this case it applies in the other sense as well) down the freeway,, Being a bit drunk he took a header into the un-occupied dump truck, NO workers injured. (In this case).

In others we get everything from minor injury to dead. I'm not so upset when it's dead idiot. but Well here are two stories, both true. I was the dispatcher and spoke with some of the people involved on one level or another (NOT the drivers) ...

Story 1: The Flasher (Flasher = The big arrow that flashes to tell you to get out of the lane, not the guy with the raincoat)

Due to the fact that this area of freeway is not either elevated or a ditch, this one had to be battery operated, so 2x a day crews went out and re-positioned the thing (People keep hitting it) and repalce the batteries with fresh charged.. The crew has just finished loading the discharged ones on the truck, One of the 2 man crew crosses the median to check on a stranded motorist (Can we call for help?) and the other is just getting back in the cab, Now remember nice FRESH batteries, Full brillance.. WHAM.. Driver slams into the flasher at about 80 mph in the 55 zone.

One Worker drenched in acid as busted batteries flew overhead (New cloths and a shower fixed him up) Some damage to the county truck from flying debris, And of course the flasher was totaled.

Story 2: The boyfriend.

Borrowed his girl's brand new Denali class pick up,, Wound up running from cops, Blew through a barraicade out onto half way bridge (Line from a cartoon show) That's the bridge that is only... Half built.. Slid out on the rails (They had not yet layed down the pavement, ONly the frame rails, Hit a worker (injured not dead) totalled the brand new truck.. Had to use a crain to lift if off the rails before it could be towed to the impound. After that I retired from the cops and went to work for the very impound lot.

Then the good news came.. When girlfriend spoke with her insurance agent the agent explained (once again) The meaning of the phrase "Named Excluded Driver".. Yup,, Her boyfriend was a named excluded driver. NO INSURANCE FOR YOU!!!!.

BF is doing his 15 years, plus fines, plus GF still has to pay the bank, Plus no car, Plus no insurance, Sucks to be them.

Lots and lots of stories like that... I had 25 years of police dispatching to collect them.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote