Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2012, 01:16 PM   #1

the diesels orginal design

www.dieselenginemotor.com history of the diesle motor. when rudolph diesel developed the diesel engine, he wanted a green energy engine and it was designed to run on peanut oil.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2012, 03:34 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
While the Diesel was originally designed to run on peanut oil, being "green" was not a priority in those times. But the engine is very efficient...just look at the current VW TDI engines!

Willie Nelson and others are supporting bio-Diesel fuels, and the only trade-off is the fuel vs. food arguement.

Knowledge is power and if consumers demand more Diesel options and bio-Diesel fuels, producers will met the demand...thats basic economics.

BTW, you can make fuel for your Diesel at home (search bio-Diesel or Waste Vegi Oil). I am quite sure that will be part of our energy future (homemade or not).

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:43 PM   #3

But do modifications need to be made to my 2003 7.3 Ford diesel?
Old 10-14-2012, 05:39 PM   #4

scarab0088 did you by chance read the web site on mister diesel. his original design was coal dust then peanut oil, he wanted a reneuable fuel source. and that's a good question my brother has run his first generation ford pickup diesel (nonturbo) on vegetable on from the grocery store to see how it would work (engine ran good, don't know about fuel milage and no changes to the engine at that point of time) . before he started working on making biofuel from restrauant oil. when that oil became hard to get he switched to hydrogen on gas engines.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:35 PM   #5

Biofuel is OK if you can get used cooking oil. That's the problem now everybodys into it so it's gettig harder to get fry oil from the fast food places.

As far as I know you den't need to make any changes to the engine. I believe the poil itsef neds to be preheated to work efficiently. Other than that all you have to do is make sure the oil is clean and has no contaminates like french fries in it.

FB: Adventures of Ranger and Jin
desertranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:44 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I did my own research years ago when trying to improve my '91 F350 w/ 7.3L Navistar Diesel.

Using any renewable fuel source like vegi oil only made sense at the time that Dr. Diesel invented his engine, but the discovery of cheap patrolium oil made the world turn a corner leading us to fiasco we are in today.

Unlike ethanol for gas engines, vegi oil Diesels have almost similar performance numbers to patrolium Diesel fuel. And there is a very good chance that we will be able to extract oil from alge, so the fuel vs. Food argument will not be valid.

For the question about mods to use WVO and bio-Diesel...any car will need mods to use WVO...but properly made bio-Diesel should work in any Diesel engine.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:10 PM   #7

on the recycled cooking oil. everything i read is you have to heat up the oil to get it to work. staight vegetable oil you don't have to. my line of thinking. the problem with used oil might be coming from the meat fats and that's why they need to heat it. a centrifugal filter in the processing stage might take care of the fats. leave it to the big boys. from what i've heard they are buying up the used oils and sending them to europe.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:21 PM   #8

i ordered the alcohol to fuel book to expand my knowledge. but my (point of view now) question is from plants you can get their oils, so why go all the extra steps to get alcohol and not go after the oil for diesels. ( i know for the gas engines, but my mh is a diesel)
Old 10-15-2012, 03:13 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
it would run on coal dust, yes coal dust. ooops i missed the previous post

very fine

even henry ford was driving to use peanut oil for fuel back when the boy was just a corporal

its amazing to see how far we come and then go and then come back
Biodiesel Fact Sheets - Biodiesel.org
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:37 PM   #10

Where does the hydrogen fuel cell stand in all of this. I see city buses and vehicles powered by them. There are also CNG vehicles. How does that work for cross country work?

FB: Adventures of Ranger and Jin
desertranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:43 AM   #11

deseartranger there's another post- alcohol as a fuel. here in so. california some of the city busses run on lpg. brazil and some scandinavian countries are working on alcohol for their diesels and getting off oil. in the book an interesting idea is IF we could change over to alcohol from oil. farmers would have more crops to grow. jobs would be created in the processing and distrubting, etc brazil is expermenting with scania on 95% alcohol/5% diesel. it's nice to dream that we might even be able to create jobs here.