Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2015, 11:42 PM   #15
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
A dear friend of mine sees so many sad stories every single day. In particular, one little elderly woman who took particular care in dressing every Sunday, telling everyone "my son is coming today."

Needless to say, her son never came.

So, she began sending small gifts and occasional flowers to the little lady, signing the absent son's name to each enclosed card.

The little lady died last year. Her son never came.
Nice story Sarah. It's too bad that many old people are forgotten in these care facilities. Too often they are like a dumping ground for some families to deposit their unwanted relatives. Very sad. Big Kudo's to your friend!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2015, 04:28 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Hey Les, I guess no one else is feeling good. I'm sure there must be some good stories out there.

Old 07-25-2015, 05:26 PM   #17

We were camping near Big Sky, MT and had gone to "town" to check it out. Gary went one way and I went another and was sucked into an art gallery. WOW... some beautiful paintings that I struggled with but left empty handed. When I did leave, I saw an SUV sitting with the driver's door open and blocking the drive. There were 2 labs in the vehicle which of course got my attention, then I saw a lady helping an elderly lady into a door.

The lady was yelling at the dogs to "STAY" so I asked if I could help. She tossed me her keys and asked if I'd move her SUV and get the paper bag with the hamburgers out of the floor board. I'm thinking "Even labs aren't going to appreciate a complete stranger getting in the vehicle and taking their hamburgers" but thank heavens, all they did was slobbered on me as I moved the SUV and rescued the burgers! I learned the elderly lady was the mom who was suffering from extreme altitude sickness and she was going to a doc when I returned the keys. I've often wondered if she recovered and was able to enjoy the week she was supposed to stay with the daughter.
traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 09:39 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
I was in the middle of full time jobs and had agreed to remodel one of my wife's elderly friends kitchens in Virginia. It was in Nov/December and I got there during some pretty bad weather. We had gotten ~10" of snow and cold weather. Late one afternoon I had to run to the nearest hardware stores ~30 miles away. Growing up in northern Wisconsin I knew how to drive in weather so it didn't stop me from venturing out.

As I was driving back in the dark, while I was high on a ridge, I could see a set of headlights in the valley in the general direction I was going but they weren't moving. Because of the icy roads I had to take the long way around which would take me down into the valley past this location.

As I came around a corner there was a fairly young women standing in the middle of the road waving me down, her car was in the ditch. I stopped and asked she was OK, she was basically hysterical, crying that her baby was in the car and she was stuck. I looked over the situation and told her I thought I could get her SUV out. I got in, the baby was screaming and with it being dark it was a little hard to see but I basically put it in reverse and by holding my foot on the brake I was able to get all 4 wheels to turn and get traction and was able to back the SUV out. I turned it around a drove it up to the top of the hill back onto the flat portion of the road in the direction I had come from.

When I got out of the SUV the young woman was crying even harder thanking me while she gave me a big hug. She asked how I had done that. I told her how I was able to move the SUV.

I will say I did feel good and still remember the incident.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 10:26 PM   #19
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Nice Jim!
If you hadn't come along when you did, the outcome could have been a whole lot different.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:53 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Jim,

That reminds me when I was coming home one night during a bad winter storm. I had only had my cell phone for maybe a few months and didn't use it often. Going own a pretty deserted country road I noticed a car stalled on the side of the road and the windows were fogged over. I stopped to see if anyone was inside.

There was a young Mother with two small kids. She was scared to death and they were frozen. I put them in my car with the heater running and we called her Dad. He answered in a panic. His daughter had left her abusive husband and he was well known to stop her from doing it before.

She should have arrived at her parents house around 7 PM. It was 12:30 AM. Dad and Mom were frantic thinking he had found her and the kids. I stayed with them there with the heat running and the kids finishing my lunch and pop. They had nothing and the car was crap.

Dad arrived and jumped out of his car and grabbed ahold of his daughter and wouldn't let her go. He was so relieved to have her safe. We put the kids in his truck, and Dad said they would get the car tomorrow. He wanted them all home safe. They drove off and I went home.

I was very glad to have that cell phone that night. They needed it more than I did. Never been without one since. Always prayed she got out of her marriage and stayed safe.

Lynne
beamisl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:28 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Back in the early 70s I was driving to my parents home in NC from Calif. as my then husband had been shipped overseas and I was going to stay with them. During my trip I had passed plenty of hitchhikers on the entrance ramps of I-10 but always passed them by. Seeing I was a woman traveling alone I knew it wasn't a smart idea to be picking up a stranger. On the third day I was leaving El Paso, TX, I had spent the night at a hotel and got gas and getting back on the interstate. Again hitchhikers along the ramp but once I was on I-10 about a mile or 2 down the road I saw a guy in the distance standing in the shoulder, another hitcher. I had passed him both previous days long my route. He had on the same shirt, jeans and bag as the other days when I drove past him. As I went by at speed I looked at him again and for some reason I still can't explain to this day something told me to pull over. He looked like a decent guy down on his luck and needing help. When I stopped I was a bit of a distance from him and he started running toward my Van.

When he got to the passenger side he looked in with a surprised expression. He opened the door and asked did I stop for him or was I having car trouble. Told him to get in. He got in and said being a woman I shouldn't have stopped and scolded me for picking him up. I agreed but told him I had seen him the last 2 days and decided to stop. His name was Tom (thats all I remember now) and he was on his way to IL for a job. We talked and I found he had a wife and son back in CA staying with her parents and as soon as he got enough money saved they would join him. A asked if he had ha something to eat. Said hadn't in a couple days so in the back of my van was an icebox and told him to fix a sandwich and soda. (he had 3 and kept asking if it was okay if he had another even fixed me a couple) I stopped in eastern Dallas for the night and let him off at the exit. Told him if he hadn't gotten a ride by morning I'd take him as far as I55 which was where he said he was heading north. I made him take $40. He then asked for my parents address said he promised to send it back to me when he could. Told him it wasn't necessary. Made it to NC and went on with my life. Roughly 8 months later got a letter from Tom thanking me for the help telling me his family was with him and things were good for them, he also sent the $40. There was just something about him that made me believe he was an okay guy.

I hadn't even thought about that cross country trip in a couple decades but have really enjoyed reading this "feel good" thread and thought I would share. Haven't picked up another stranger since and don't regret for one minute doing it back then but the early 70s was forty yrs. ago and a different time.

cyn
chiavet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 10:11 PM   #22
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiavet View Post
Roughly 8 months later got a letter from Tom thanking me for the help telling me his family was with him and things were good for them, he also sent the $40. There was just something about him that made me believe he was an okay guy.
Nice story Cyn!

Someone was likely looking out for you and knew it was okay to reach out to Tom.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:05 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Good thread, a few of the stories brought tears to my eyes. There are some very big hearts on this forum.

We have done little things, bought a gift card for a gal that was behind us in line at the grocery store one day, we had noticed that she was putting back items that she really wanted to buy. Bought baby formula and diapers for a family that needed help due to a lay off, left them on a doorstep. A few years ago I sent boxes of Christmas gifts to a gal who had run from an abusive husband and had no $$ for gifts for her children.

Nothing particularly life changing, just wanted a few folks to know that someone cared.
On the Road with 8 cats and a lovebird!
LynnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:41 PM   #24
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Big or small act, it's the thoughtfulness that counts!

The fact that we take the time to make someone else's day is what makes the difference.

Little do the recipients know, that although they may somehow benefit from a random act of kindness, I believe the giver equally benefits from the joy it brings.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:36 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LynnD,

I think these gifts that appear small to the giver often are life changing.

Years ago my Mother worked as a cook at a local small college. She was checking the food line and overheard a young woman saying she got a shutoff notice for her heat. Mom went and got her check, signed it, and gave it to that woman so her kids would not be cold.

Dad picked Mom up and started going to the bank and she told him what she did and he just smiled, held her hand, and drove her home.

20 years later Mom falls and needs a housekeeper (because I was going to college and working fulltime and I offered to pay for it since I could not do it myself) (besides, God had a plan) and she calls a company to clean for her.

This woman comes out and she cleans really well and Mom is thinking this is going to cost way too much. She wipes down the walls, moves the furniture, and dusts the light fixtures. My Mom loved a clean house.

At the end of the process Mom pulls out the money I left and offers it to the woman. She says to Mom, "You don't owe me anything." Mom is surprised and the woman asks if Mom remembers her. Mom did not. This is the young woman Mom gave her check to. That check allowed her to pay her heating bill, feed her children, and get past a rough spot.

She said it changed her life, gave her hope, and a will to continue. She asked God that day to give her an opportunity to repay Mom. When the invoice came across her desk (she owned the cleaning company) she recognized Mom's name and she spent the next 12 weeks cleaning house for Mom and having lunch with her. She refused to take any pay. Mom and I planned out lunches for them as our way of saying thank you back.

These small acts of kindness do make a difference in people's life and often change them.

Lynne
beamisl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 07:51 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Good Intentions ... But No Takers

We used to live at the top of a long, steep hill about 25 miles westbound out of Denver. At or near the summit, during the summer months especailly, it would not be unusual for me to see a motorhome pulled off to the side on my way home from work. Most of the time they had stopped to let it cool down, but sometimes there were obviously problems bigger than over-heating.

I would stop to offer my driveway for the night (actually more of a gravel road), which was about 2 downhill miles at the next exit. I never had any takers.

In retrospect, I guess it sounds a lot like the plot to one of those wacko psychological thrillers you hear about these days, huh? "...Strange man says it is OK to bring your family and your motorhome back into the dark and mountainy woods for the night...."

Oh well ... Good intentions, but no takers.

\ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:06 AM   #27
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamisl View Post
LynnD,
I think these gifts that appear small to the giver often are life changing.

This is the young woman Mom gave her check to. That check allowed her to pay her heating bill, feed her children, and get past a rough spot.
She said it changed her life, gave her hope, and a will to continue. She asked God that day to give her an opportunity to repay Mom.

These small acts of kindness do make a difference in people's life and often change them.

Lynne
What a great story Lynne! Thanks.
A prime example of what goes around comes around!
You just never know when it will.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:15 AM   #28
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumps View Post
I would stop to offer my driveway for the night (actually more of a gravel road), which was about 2 downhill miles at the next exit. I never had any takers.

Oh well ... Good intentions, but no takers.

\ken
Ken,

The mere fact that your heart makes you think the way you do is what makes the difference. I'm sure because of it, many other acts of kindness have happened, but you haven't paid any mind to them. Many of us are just programmed that way.