Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2015, 02:50 PM   #57

Sorry. Didn't mean to turn it sad. Just a lot of opportunity out camping to help others. As Dennis mentioned earlier, something as small as taking time to listen does wonders for people's souls. We've met two war veterans our last two trips who were moved to tears to just talk about their experiences.
Wanabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2015, 03:16 PM   #58

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Denise and I had a short layover on a trip a few years ago and we were awaiting finding a much needed part for our Class "C" and were sitting in a Walmart pondering our next move when Denise noticed an older gentleman sitting by the main entrance with a couple of Boston Terriers and a sign asking for money for food for his dogs or just food for his dogs.

We went over with our little girl "Mizzie" for a visit and a chat. Turns out he was homeless by choice because the vet facility he could use would not allow his dogs so he preferred to stay with them in his car than abandon them to a shelter.

Needless we gave him money for food, and also food that "little miss picky" wouldn't eat and spent a good time chatting with him about his war experiences. After we left to get the part we needed we found that there were no close by RV campgrounds with vacancies so we decided to Wallydock for the night and do repairs in the morning.

About 1:30am a very noisy engine close by us started up and ran for about 20 minutes and then shut down again. At about 2:30 same thing. Denise asked me to investigate and we noticed the little old guy had parked up beside us and he and his dogs were attempting to stay warm in the cold night air. Needless to say that about 20 minutes later he had two -5 sleeping bags we no longer needed and him and his pups could snuggle up warm and cozy.

A couple months later we stopped at the same Walmart to check on them but they were no longer in evidence anywhere that we could see. I hope everything turned out well for him in the end. We empathized with the dude because neither of us would abandon our pups for creature comforts they couldn't partake in.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 03:25 PM   #59

The GOOD SAMARITAN and GOOD LUCK:

Stopped for gas in Loa Utah. Jeep no start, no turn, battery dead?

Got a jump from a guy with a pickup and corroded jumper cables and corroded battery terminals: no go! Only a click.

I ponder for about 5 minutes and scratch my head and another young man with a pickup approaches, "Got jumper cables"?

Nope.

"Me neither, but I need some anyways so I'll go buy some and be right back".

It started, and I offered to pay for the cables as a reward. They are 20 feet long in 2GA, over 60 bucks!

"They are yours. I dont need any and you do!" And he tipped his hat and left. WOW! A GOOD Samaritan, that gave me no choice and would not give his name! 👍👏

HOWEVER, after going about a mile toward camp, all of the dash lights flickered. U-turn!

As LUCK would have it, there is a NAPA store right next to the gas station. The battery gets tested, fails, and is promptly replaced.

Mom always said I was a lucky fella!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 05:38 PM   #60
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabes View Post
Sorry. Didn't mean to turn it sad. Just a lot of opportunity out camping to help others. As Dennis mentioned earlier, something as small as taking time to listen does wonders for people's souls. We've met two war veterans our last two trips who were moved to tears to just talk about their experiences.
Trust me, you didn't turn it sad. What's sad is the stories of the people we reach out to. The glory is in the giving.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 05:46 PM   #61
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
Denise noticed an older gentleman sitting by the main entrance with a couple of Boston Terriers and a sign asking for money for food for his dogs or just food for his dogs.

We went over with our little girl "Mizzie" for a visit and a chat. Turns out he was homeless by choice because the vet facility he could use would not allow his dogs so he preferred to stay with them in his car than abandon them to a shelter.

Needless we gave him money for food, and also food that "little miss picky" wouldn't eat and spent a good time chatting with him about his war experiences.

Needless to say that about 20 minutes later he had two -5 sleeping bags we no longer needed and him and his pups could snuggle up warm and cozy.

I hope everything turned out well for him in the end. We empathized with the dude because neither of us would abandon our pups for creature comforts they couldn't partake in.
Hats off to you and Denise. Knowing you both as I do, I can see it all! Nice!
Old 08-28-2015, 05:48 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpatch View Post
Hats off to you and Denise. Knowing you both as I do, I can see it all! Nice!

Yep! Bravo
Old 08-28-2015, 05:48 PM   #63
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
The GOOD SAMARITAN and GOOD LUCK:

Mom always said I was a lucky fella!
You are! Nice to be a recipient of a Good Samaritan!
Old 08-28-2015, 05:50 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpatch View Post
You are! Nice to be a recipient of a Good Samaritan!

I wasn't trying to look needy! Honestly.
Just a 20-something good guy, me thinks.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:28 PM   #65

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There are a lot of good people out there, their stories often are not told. Love a thread like this that allows us to tote them.
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 06:52 AM   #66

Well we blew our transmission in our jeep and these amazing people in our rv group got together and got us the transmission we needed. The best group of people I have ever known. They are the rv muntans. Thank you guys you are truly great people.

RVM481968 eagle 475hp Detroit 8v92
Dwayne & Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 08:14 AM   #67
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne & Shara View Post
Well we blew our transmission in our jeep and these amazing people in our rv group got together and got us the transmission we needed. The best group of people I have ever known. They are the rv muntans. Thank you guys you are truly great people.
I had heard about your helping so many in the group.

Sometimes a few good turns deserve one Dwayne!
Old 08-29-2015, 08:28 AM   #68

That may be still brought me to tears

RVM481968 eagle 475hp Detroit 8v92
Dwayne & Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 10:31 PM   #69

Hello all. About 5 or 6 years ago we were leaving the Palm Springs area and stopped to fuel up the MH. I pulled into the closest island by the road. While I was filling up I noticed a guy in an old beat up Toyota pickup packed to its limit. Then I noticed the guy going to the other people getting gas asking for money for gas, no one helped him. He finally gets to me as he did with the others asking for a little cash. I asked him about his situation. He explained he was from Phoenix on his way to L. A. where he had a job lined up. He went on to explain he had a run of bad luck in the last few years. He was breaking my heart.

I told him to drive his truck to the other side of the island and that I'd fill his tank. I can still see the look on his face. He just stood there frozen. Then he started to cry. I told him to go bring his truck before he gets me crying. I'm getting emotional just typing this message.

So I fill up his truck and he's just standing there saying nothing. I'll never forget the moment as I was going to ask him if anyone's ever done anything nice for him before. I stopped myself because I didn't want offend him or make him feel worse because of his situation in life.

I finish gassing him up and go to shake his hand and wish him well, he extends his hand and draws me in for a heart felt hug. Yup, he starts to cry again. How can I ever repay you he asks? Very simple, pay it forward, when you're able.

I think of him from time-to-time and that chance meeting wondering what ever happened to him. Of course I'll never know but I can at least hold onto hope that he is well.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
So Cal Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 10:44 PM   #70

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Thanks for giving him the opportunity to do well.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote