Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2015, 12:30 AM   #71
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by So Cal Roo View Post
I'll never forget the moment as I was going to ask him if anyone's ever done anything nice for him before. I stopped myself because I didn't want offend him or make him feel worse because of his situation in life.

I finish gassing him up and go to shake his hand and wish him well, he extends his hand and draws me in for a heart felt hug. Yup, he starts to cry again. How can I ever repay you he asks? Very simple, pay it forward, when you're able.

I think of him from time-to-time and that chance meeting wondering what ever happened to him. Of course I'll never know but I can at least hold onto hope that he is well.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
A very kind deed So Cal Roo!

Many are humbled by another's kindness and aren't sure how to react. However, I'm definitely sure the appreciation is there!
AND we do make a difference.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2015, 01:07 AM   #72
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpatch View Post
I had heard about your helping so many in the group.

Sometimes a few good turns deserve one Dwayne!
What Les said!!

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 02:02 AM   #73

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Helping someone or even just giving a kind word makes you feel good.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:10 AM   #74

Ford Super Duty Owner
I reported one of our feel good experiences earlier. As I was reading more of them I was reminded of another time but it was no a feel good but feel bad experience.

I'm not sure if we handled it correctly and I still don't know how else to deal with it?

We observed two young decent looking girls begging for gas at the pumps. They were dressed reasonably well but in a suggestive sort of way and they had a dump of a van. Things just didn't feel right. We were not getting fuel but parked near with the truck and TT at the time.

We kind of ignored them, observed then headed for the store. One of the girls had been walking towards the same store and we watched as she came up to a small group of others gathered around the side of the entrance, smoking, sporting their expensive tats and just having a good time.

Don't know how destitute they were but it was obvious that they had made financial choices in their lives that were not to good and I was not about to add to their continued demise. Tats are not cheap and of course neither are the smokes.

At our church we have many, many beggers waiting outside after Mass. Our Priest says to not give them any money but tell them when the food pantry is open. They've stopped showing up.

I feel the same way with individuals at the intersections holding up the signs. I just don't feel comfortable trusting any of them. I have the empathy for their situation (perhaps) but just not the trust. I guess it's giving a hand UP and not a hand OUT.

TeJay
Old 08-31-2015, 08:50 AM   #75
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Thanks Tim.

There will always be those that try to get something from us by preying on our good nature and willingness to give.

My hope is that we don't start muddying the water by introducing that debate into this thread. This thread is about "Feeling Good" in helping people and the story surrounding it.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:32 AM   #76
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Many many years ago, in the late 80's, we were on our way home from Louisiana on I-10 and about 20-30 miles from downtown Houston we stopped for gas. There was a young couple parked off to the side with a small child. The woman stayed by the parked car and the gentleman approached and asked if I could spare any money so they could buy some food for the child. As many others i was leery of the request but I was in a compassionate mood that day. A conversation ensued and I found out that they were stranded there until some money from family arrived but unfortunately they were low on gas and the money was going to their final stop in San Antonio. If they could get some gas they could continue on to San Antonio where he had a job he was starting. He stated that at the moment it was more important to get some food for their little girl. I figured that if the child was hungry, the parents were also. I pulled out my wallet and gave him some money and said, "Feed the family." He thanked me, walked back to where his wife and child were, then the walked into the station and came back out while I was pumping gas. They had a bag of food with them. I figured the money went for a good cause.

Not the end of the story. I wasn't as well off at the time as later in life but I walked over to the car and told him to pull up to the gas pump. I filled their tank and told them to have a good trip to San Antonio.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 11:42 AM   #77

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Wayne, makes a guy proud to call you a friend.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:28 PM   #78
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
Wayne, makes a guy proud to call you a friend.
X 2!!
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 12:45 PM   #79

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Back in the 70s
I gave a girl a ride in my wagon
She crawled in and took control
She was tired 'cause her mind was a-draggin'
I said, get some sleep and dream of rock androll

'Cause like a princess she was layin' there
Moonlight dancin' off her hair
She woke up and took me by the hand
She's gonna love me in my Chevy van
And that's all right with me
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 01:05 PM   #80

when my grandsons where 6-8 used to take them to the store to give granma a break ,we saw a man as we exited the parking lot with a sign ( homeless) please give or will work for food ,boys saw that and said come on pops he can clean the yard and help you ,needless to say told him to get in and would pay him when done for doing yard work ,,,he said naa just give me the money man GOOD lesson for the boys , ohh and i agree about the tats, not cheap
Old 08-31-2015, 04:33 PM   #81
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
As many others i was leery of the request but I was in a compassionate mood that day. If they could get some gas they could continue on to San Antonio where he had a job he was starting. He stated that at the moment it was more important to get some food for their little girl. I figured that if the child was hungry, the parents were also. I pulled out my wallet and gave him some money and said, "Feed the family." I figured the money went for a good cause.

Not the end of the story. I walked over to the car and told him to pull up to the gas pump. I filled their tank and told them to have a good trip to San Antonio.
Great story Wayne! Right time for the right family in need. You just never know when you're going to stumble across someone in that situation.
Nice that you were there to them!
Old 08-31-2015, 05:39 PM   #82

Vintage RV Owners Club
Last fall I spied a fella standing by the overpass needing work or money. I happened to have a business card from where I work and wrote my cell # on the back and gave it to him with a Ziploc bag I carry in the glove box for this reason ziplock had juice box, raisins, almonds, and a granola bar in it.(We keep a small food Pantry at my workplace for clients in need) I gave him a little cash also. He called the next week wanting to know if I had some work. I happened to need my leaves mowed into a tight circle, loaded into the trailer and distributed on my garden. A days work for someone not too fit...driving the mower was the easiest but longest part. So I live about 30 miles out of town, and when he called, I arranged to go get him, brought him home for the work, fed him lunch, he worked a couple more hours, and I took him home. He made enough that day to pay for his wife's insulin she needed. I got my leaves taken care of. It was a win win deal.
MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 06:51 PM   #83
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySQ View Post
Last fall I spied a fella standing by the overpass needing work or money. I carry in the glove box for this reason ziplock had juice box, raisins, almonds, and a granola bar in it.(We keep a small food Pantry at my workplace for clients in need) I gave him a little cash also. He called the next week wanting to know if I had some work. I happened to need my leaves mowed into a tight circle, loaded into the trailer and distributed on my garden. I arranged to go get him, brought him home for the work, fed him lunch, he worked a couple more hours, and I took him home. He made enough that day to pay for his wife's insulin she needed. I got my leaves taken care of. It was a win win deal.
Great story Marty! That's another side of doing a good deed. When you see someone who's willing to work to help his family situation and not just looking for a handout.
Nice that you were able to go the extra mile to help him do that.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:39 AM   #84

Fleetwood Owners Club
I was driving home on the freeway one afternoon. It was a typical AZ summer day, hotter than Hades. I passed a car on the side of the road with a flat. It was a large family with numerous children. The man was looking at his lug wrench like it was an alien being! I actually turned around and went back to see if I could help. Turns out the alien lug wrench didn't fit his car at all nor did mine! To complicate matters, he only spoke Spanish.

As a woman traveling alone, I don't normally make jughead moves that might endanger me, but I felt safe enough with this guy and figured I could get him to the next truck stop where we could see if we could locate a wrench for his car.

So with my pidgin Spanish off we went about 20 miles to the truck stop that I frequent on my trips between Tucson and Phoenix. When we got there I told him to stay in the truck (little Mazda pick up) and I would go see what I could find thinking I was going to get farther speaking English than he would with his Spanish. Well, he didn't listen to me and, after I walked away, got out of the truck locking it up very nicely WITH THE KEYS INSIDE! So now we had to unlock the truck somehow AND find a wrench.

Fortunately, this all turned out very well and probably took less time to rectify it all than it has taken me to type this. I laughed on my way home, just tickled my funny bone for some reason! And a mechanic took him back to his car so I didn't have to go back. I really do like helping people!