Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2015, 03:26 PM   #99

Newmar Owners Club
I think that his need for personal independence led him into some of his problems. The fact that he had a dog may have even compounded that. I, as a Veteran, feel for any homeless Veteran, but many have made it their choice. I wish that they (Veterans) would contact local VFW's, American Legion's, local Govt. Agencies and outreach centers, as well as the VA for a hand UP. Most do not want a hand OUT. A most Solemn Hand Salute to that Veteran, and may he be resting in Peace.

1999 NEWMAR American Star (for sale) SOLD !!![* Newmar Kountry Kklub # 19708 * THOUSAND TRAILS * 2006 Chevy 3500 Dually Dmax/Ally SOLD* Curt Q20 (For Sale)* Prodigy P2 *US ARMY 1965-1967 * Disabled Vietnam Veteran 1966-1967 * Life Member VFW *
99-Am.Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2015, 09:32 PM   #100
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam-3 View Post
Turns he was a disabled veteran/homeless. He went from park to park because of the two week limit. His dog jumped on the good bed end and made it collapse. He was trying to lift the trailer and it looked horrible for his back. DH brought over his bottle jack and righted the trailer. We fixed supper and I brought him over a plate of food. Sad part of story, that winter I read in the paper where he was trying to use his popup in a closed business. It is freezing cold in Rochester,NY. He had a heater accident and burned to death. I think of him from time to time and wonder how this could happen in the USA.
Thanks sam-3.

Truly a sad situation with a sad ending.
In most of these sad situations that people find themselves in, all that we can do (without becoming fully involved) is give them a lift-up or temporary relief from an already difficult life.

Old 09-12-2015, 12:50 AM   #101

Lots of good stories here from good folks. Glad we have these people to look after those in great needs.
Old 09-26-2015, 07:43 PM   #102

Monaco Owners Club
The thread seems to be slowing down, how about some more stories to try and keep it going. Heres one that came to mind after seeing some posts on my wife's Facebook. It's a feel good funny type of story.

Back in the early 90's we had would go camping in our Suburban and were invited to join some friends going to the Grandfather Mountain Highland Games normally held in the early part of July. For those unfamiliar with the gathering, there are 2 areas for camping, the "family" oriented side and the "party all night" side. We were in the later.

We spent the first day viewing the games and having a generally good time. My wife had made arrangements (hint, forced me to go) to the traditional concert held in the nearby town that night. I believe it was called a "Cieli" (?). It was actually pretty entertaining. After the concert we drove back to our campsite and sat around the campfire enjoying the night, listening to the sounds of everyone have a good time, and never ending parade of men in Kilts and traditionally garbed women walk by.

After a couple hours a van came pulling into the camping area. Campsites were few and far between by that time and the road had pretty much turned to mud. The van stopped and the driver talked to some people who pointed up a small hill behind us so off the van starts to go but almost immediately starts to spin it's tires, back end fishtailing, mud flying and making very little progress as they try to climb this hill. He attempted this maybe a half dozen times with a fairly large crowd gathered on both sides cheering him on.

Needless to say at some point my wife, her friends, and I get up and walk that way. After watching this spectacle for a couple minutes I decided to see if I could help. I walked up to the van after it had back down the hill and low and behold, it was the elderly gentleman who had been playing in the concert along with most of his band.

I told him that if he promised not to back up over the top of me I would try and push him up the hill. Picture this though, I was wearing shorts, a T shirt, flip flops, and carrying a beer in one hand. I got behind the van and told him to start driving forward slowly as I started pushing (still holding the beer in 1 hand) and slowly we climbed up the hill with the crowd of people cheering us on. He started to spin but we kept making progress so we kept going, slowly but surely. He got up to the spot that he wanted to pull into and stopped, got out of his van and came back and thanked me with about as much enthusiasm you could expect.

I was pretty proud of myself and to make things even better a group of about 4 very large men in kilts walked up to me and asked me if I was interested in being on their Tug of War team the next day. I asked I I'd have to wear a kilt and they said yes. I politely declined but my ego was about as big as you could imagine.

We went back to our campsite but soon afterwards heard music starting to play so we walked down there to find the same elderly man playing music. Stayed up until Weee hours of the morning listing to music and had just a great time.

I know also that I would have been pretty much useless in the tug of war contest the next day so I guess I helped out 2 groups that weekend
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 06:22 PM   #103

Tiffin Owners Club
When I was much younger, there was a woman on the side of the road with a flat tire. We had just returned from two weeks of canoe camping on the Rio Grande and all I had done was taken a shower. I stopped and proceded to change her tire. When I had put the flat in her trunk she immediately jumped in the car and cracked the window. When she ask me how much she owed me as she was getting her purse, I told her she couldn't afford me and her husband would have to pay by changing a flat for a lady on the road.

Jump 11 years into the future. Stephanie ran over a piece of angle iron and blew a tire. This woman always wore nothing but dresses and skirts and there she stands with the lug wrench in her hand trying to figure out how to gracefully change this tire. A guy stops and changes the tire. Long story short, when she tried to pay he said "I would like for your husband to change a tire for a lady in distress as my pay". What goes around comes around.

TEFFY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 06:53 PM   #104

Tiffin Owners Club
ANOTHER ONE AND THEN I'LL GIVE SOME ELSE A CHANCE

We were at a mutant rally in Ar. several years ago and I had never opened the awning because of my ignorance and worried that I'd get it open and then not know how to close it up. Dwayne, of Dwayne and Shara found out about it and decided that I needed to know how to do it. What started out as a little bit of teaching with just Dwayne and I ended up as a group project with about 6-8 guys. We had a blast when we loaded into two cars to go get some parts that were either broken or rusted beyond use.

That was in April, and in June, I started as a park host at Martin Dies Jr. State Park (Tx) for the summer. Over the summer I must have helped 15 campers learn how to put out their awnings and get them back in.

Dwayne - see how you helped a lot of people get more enjoyment out of their campers.

TEFFY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 07:05 PM   #105
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Great stories one and all.

The feeling you get when you can help someone is worth every bit of the effort expended and more. That's your pay! And it's mighty huge!
Old 10-04-2015, 08:36 PM   #106
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Just a few days ago we stepped out of the MH and there was another MH that had just entered the park. We were only two spaces down in the park and they had stopped. I will not go into some funny details but the gist is they were lost in the park. I asked for the park map and it showed the spot they were in. I walked in front of the MH leading the way just a short distance. The gentleman pulled in to close to the trees on the right so i asked if I could come aboard and guide him. He agreed, we circled the park and I got him into his spot. His DW said this may be their last trip since they were 88 years young.

Glad to have been of help.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 11:18 PM   #107

This is what the Pope was talking about. Small gifts can give you such rewards.

Heck, it makes me feel good just to give someone a shopping cart at Aldi's without taking 25 cents for it.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:46 AM   #108

I was at a family restaurant a while back when I saw a young family come in and get seated. I overheard the wife say "everything is so expensive here" and the husband got his wallet out and counted his money. I just couldn't stand it especially with all the blessings I have had in life, so I quietly go up and found the manager. I explained I would pay the bill for the family if she could find a way to provide them good meals and not embarrass the father or mother in the process. She said "just leave it to me" and left. I don't know what she said to them, but soon I saw food coming to the table and even ice cream for the kids afterwards.

I went to pay the bill and the manager said "I called the owner and told him what you wanted to do and he told me to comp your complete bill and to tell me to "pay it forward"". I left two $10 bills on the counter for the tips and left with a smile on my face and a warm feeling in my heart.
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:32 AM   #109
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I asked if I could come aboard and guide him. He agreed, we circled the park and I got him into his spot. His DW said this may be their last trip since they were 88 years young.

Glad to have been of help.
Nice you were there to guide them Wayne!
At 88 I'd probably get lost trying to find the bathroom in my own house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
I went to pay the bill and the manager said "I called the owner and told him what you wanted to do and he told me to comp your complete bill and to tell me to "pay it forward"". I left two $10 bills on the counter for the tips and left with a smile on my face and a warm feeling in my heart.
Pete, that was a great story and a testament of how the wish to help someone in need can be contagious!

This was the reason I started this thread and my hope was that those that read it will be bitten by the bug to see an opportunity and act on it! In a small way, it changes all people involved!
Old 10-05-2015, 06:58 PM   #110
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I remember many years ago eating in a local restaurant in our town. A gentleman was sitting by a window and he "appeared" to be homeless. I knew the manager and I asked him and he confirmed it. I stated I would like to pay for his meal. The manager stated that it was taken care of already.

We we got up to leave I approached and asked, "Where are you having breakfast?" He replied with a local fast food place because they had some cheap breakfasts. I asked what it woud cost him for breakfast and he told me. I pulled out the wallet, gave him some money and said, "Breakfast is on me." He thanked me, twice.

That was a long time ago.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 01:45 PM   #111

A few years ago, a few weeks my wife, grandkids and I stopped at a Hamburger place in our hometown. My wife over heard a young waitress ( not Our waitress) say she did not know what she was going to do for Christmas because she did not have the money to pay her bills. My wife asked me how much cash I had in my wallet. I told her around $100 and she says may I have it to give to the young lady. My wife called her to our table and gave her the money, and she cried. Our grandkids (now teens) always mention the gift each year near Christmas. Our belief is it is better to give than to receive.
Old 10-06-2015, 03:59 PM   #112

Newmar Owners Club
I just recalled a trip my wife and I went on, to take mom and dad to visit with my aunt, my mom's sister. It was quite a distance for us, about a six hour drive. We stayed there for 5 days and on returning home I asked my mom if they would like to stop in Washington DC to see "The Wall". She has always contributed to it's building and upkeep. So on the way into Washington we stopped at a Chain restaurant for lunch. We waited 45 minutes for a table and I asked why so long. The person on the desk said "I called you twice and you didn't respond". All four of us said we did not hear our name being called. When she said the name it had been butchered so bad
that when we herd it we knew she wasn't calling us. Any way we got a table in a few minutes, and when the manager came around and asked how things were, I told him what had happened and he left to ask about it. When the server came back to take the plates away I asked him for the bill. We had been talking to him during the meal and found he was working his way through collage. So he told me the meal was on the house per the manager. The wife and I decided that we would figure out what the lunch should have cost and gave that amount and the normal tip to him as his tip. I thought we were going to have to pick him up off the floor when he looked at the $55 we gave him. Got a great thank you and we were off with my mother smiling one of those proud mother smiles. Mom is still with us and dad passed 3 years ago. I just hope he has a great job now and will remember the Vietnam vet that made his day, and makes someone else's day.

1999 NEWMAR American Star (for sale) SOLD !!![* Newmar Kountry Kklub # 19708 * THOUSAND TRAILS * 2006 Chevy 3500 Dually Dmax/Ally SOLD* Curt Q20 (For Sale)* Prodigy P2 *US ARMY 1965-1967 * Disabled Vietnam Veteran 1966-1967 * Life Member VFW *
99-Am.Star is offline   Reply With Quote