Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2015, 08:45 PM   #113
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cudntherd View Post
Our belief is it is better to give than to receive.
And what a great belief to live by! Thanks for being that way Pat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99-Am.Star View Post
The wife and I decided that we would figure out what the lunch should have cost and gave that amount and the normal tip to him as his tip. Got a great thank you and we were off with my mother smiling one of those proud mother smiles. I just hope he has a great job now and will remember the Vietnam vet that made his day, and makes someone else's day.
I'm sure it stuck in his memory for a long time. You made my day reading your story!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2015, 01:14 PM   #114

Three years ago we spent the Christmas holidays with our daughter and her family in Eureka, Ca. If you've ever been there most likely you've gone to the Samoa Cookhouse, yum!! For the uninitiated it was built for the loggers. All meals are served family style. The menu goes like this: if it's Friday it's pot roast, with soup, salad, etc. think u get the idea.

So on the Sunday before Christmas we decide to go there for dinner. Daughter graduated from Humbolt State and had many friends who decided to stay in the area, as my daughter did. Hence many don't have family in the area. Feeling the spirit of the season I tell my daughter to ask a few of her friends to join us. Dinner was on me. When we arrive at the Cookhouse about 5 pm there ends being about twelve of us. The place was packed and the only long table available had one elderly lady, she's about 80, sitting by herself at the very end seat.

I end up sitting next to her. Like a gentleman, my mama tried to raise, I say hi and introduce myself, she does likewise. We share some small talk. I go on to explain what this large group is about. She was very glad for us being able to get together. She was impressed that we prayed before dinner, she was very touched by that. She actually stopped eating while I lead the prayer.

Not wanting to be nosy, but, I couldn't resist. I asked her what her plans were for Christmas. Let me see if I can get through this....she says her daughter lives back east and her son in the mid-west somewhere and that she had no family in the area. No one was coming home, that said she'd be alone.

A few minutes later I asked for everyone's attention. I introduced her, and everyone to her. I told her, "today you have family." Everyone welcomed her to the family, even if it was for a short time.

After about an hour, all feeling over-stuffed, time for the check. I had made sure to let our waiter know to give me her check. She said her goodbyes and thanked me for the company and generosity. Remember the part about mama trying to raise a gentleman? As she gets up I get up and wish her well. Others at the table do the same. She was overwhelmed by that gesture. I ask if I can walk her to her car, which I did. We get to the car she initiates a hug, that's when the tears start to flow for both of us. She hugged me for a very long time without saying a word.

Where I messed up is not giving her my daughters number. She's a nurse and a very caring person. I know she would have stayed in contact with her. My second mess up is not asking her to my daughters house of Christmas day.

I know it was a little long, and, sappy story but to me it's about the "Golden Rule."

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

Old 10-07-2015, 04:01 PM   #115

Newmar Owners Club
So Cal Roo, It seems like many times you will do a little something foe some one and later on you think of more you could/should have done. I think they were very grateful for what you did do.
It was, by the way, a nice story of caring.
1999 NEWMAR American Star (for sale) SOLD !!![* Newmar Kountry Kklub # 19708 * THOUSAND TRAILS * 2006 Chevy 3500 Dually Dmax/Ally SOLD* Curt Q20 (For Sale)* Prodigy P2 *US ARMY 1965-1967 * Disabled Vietnam Veteran 1966-1967 * Life Member VFW *
99-Am.Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 04:25 PM   #116
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
So Cal Roo, I read your story at work and I had a bit of a blubber over it. Thankfully my back faces my door to my office.

Very touching and very thoughtful though!

I'm sure we could always do more than we do, but sometimes that would mean becoming more involved in the peoples lives we touch.
I think we can all live with what we give and is more than those who choose not to take the opportunity.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:49 PM   #117

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My wife and I have for quite a few years visited a local K-mart and done the Secret Santa thing. We ask at the layaway counter if they know of any particular case that's really deserving. We insist on just kids stuff,toys clothes etc, no big screen TV's and the like. We give them a figure that we're comfortable with and between us select one or 2. We pay it off knowing that after we've left a deserving family will get a phone call telling them their layaway has been paid.
Hopefully it makes a difference and take a little pressure off.
Our daughters watched us do this over the years and now they're adults on their own continue our little Christmas tradition.

Barry and Pat, RVM114
Old 10-07-2015, 09:04 PM   #118
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Way to go Barry & Pat, way to go.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 09:11 PM   #119
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGA2016 View Post
My wife and I have for quite a few years visited a local K-mart and done the Secret Santa thing. We ask at the layaway counter if they know of any particular case that's really deserving. We insist on just kids stuff,toys clothes etc, no big screen TV's and the like. We give them a figure that we're comfortable with and between us select one or 2. We pay it off knowing that after we've left a deserving family will get a phone call telling them their layaway has been paid.
Our daughters watched us do this over the years and now they're adults on their own continue our little Christmas tradition.

Barry and Pat, RVM114
What a great thing to do and how wonderful the idea is taken up by your daughters.

Hats off to you and your family!
Old 10-08-2015, 09:17 AM   #120

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGA2016 View Post

Barry and Pat, RVM114

I think this is a good idea and Stephanie and I are going to do it this year. Sometimes when we go out to dinner we will buy someone else's ticket.

Many years ago we were in San Antonio Tx one Thanksgiving weekend and saw two service people that were just mooning over each other. You could tell how they felt, so I tore a $20.00 bill in half and gave each one of them half with instructions that it had to be spent on something that they both wanted.

TEFFY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:34 PM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEFFY View Post
ANOTHER ONE AND THEN I'LL GIVE SOME ELSE A CHANCE

We were at a mutant rally in Ar. several years ago and I had never opened the awning because of my ignorance and worried that I'd get it open and then not know how to close it up. Dwayne, of Dwayne and Shara found out about it and decided that I needed to know how to do it. What started out as a little bit of teaching with just Dwayne and I ended up as a group project with about 6-8 guys. We had a blast when we loaded into two cars to go get some parts that were either broken or rusted beyond use.

That was in April, and in June, I started as a park host at Martin Dies Jr. State Park (Tx) for the summer. Over the summer I must have helped 15 campers learn how to put out their awnings and get them back in.

Dwayne - see how you helped a lot of people get more enjoyment out of their campers.

Teffy how have you been. Been a while. I'll help any way I can. Any time I can. We have brought out about 10 people on off road adventures this month and I can't help but feeling like I should do more.

RVM481968 eagle 475hp Detroit 8v92
Dwayne & Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 04:04 PM   #122

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hello,

A few years ago our church joined or sponsored a "Christmas Santa" program. Teachers recommended children from poor families because the 2 weeks prior to Christmas the kids struggled studying because they were afraid Santa wouldn't bring them gifts because He didn't have enough money.

When it was presented (by Pat a teacher), she told about 2 boys whose Dad had died in May. He had been sick a while and the Mom was struggling to support them. These boys wore pajama bottoms to school because they didn't have money to buy new clothes. You know how boys grow.

So, I adopted these 2 brothers. A card had been made out with their clothing sizes and needs and the toys they "wished for". My daughter and I went shopping. It was the 1st of October. We bought underwear, socks, T-shirts, sweats, jeans, shirts, pajamas, coats, shoes, and hats and gloves. It was a blast!

Jenna took them back to church that night so Pat could get them to the kids right away so they could wear clothes to school other than pajamas. The Mother was shocked and the boys were overjoyed. The Mother sent a card thanking us and Pat said she could now concentrate on Christmas. I told her we weren't done yet.

I love "Spiderman" and these boys did to. I started looking for Spiderman toys and it was so much fun choosing them. It was like Christmas for me. I also found Spiderman sweatshirts and T-shirts.

When the time came, these items were delivered to the Mom along with a bag that the boys were to open up without her in the room. It had pajamas for her, hand cream, bubble bath, and other items along with paper and tape for them to wrap it up for her to have under the tree.

We then arranged for a turkey, ham, potatoes, and all the fixings for dinner or a couple.

This was one of the best Christmas I have had. It was so much fun shopping for them and knowing those boys wore regular clothes to school. I loved it and have found a family almost every year since then.

It doesn't take much to make someone's life easier or better and often is a great joy to you. Find someone this Christmas and give them a blessing.

I look forward to the holidays. Lynne
beamisl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:04 AM   #123
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne & Shara View Post
We have brought out about 10 people on off road adventures this month and I can't help but feeling like I should do more.
Dwayne, I saw your vid on taking vets out 4 wheeling. Nice that you give them an opportunity to do something they would not likely ever experience!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamisl View Post
A few years ago our church joined or sponsored a "Christmas Santa" program.

This was one of the best Christmas I have had. It was so much fun shopping for them and knowing those boys wore regular clothes to school. I loved it and have found a family almost every year since then.

It doesn't take much to make someone's life easier or better and often is a great joy to you. Find someone this Christmas and give them a blessing.

Lynne
Lynne, good for you.
I have always been a proponent of the "Santa's Annonymous" program. I've done it before and am looking at introducing it into our company. It's definitely good for the soul! And, a good charitable way to give.
Old 10-25-2015, 07:08 AM   #124

Well we were in walmart and there was a older women and her card would not work. Not sure why. Don't care. I swiped my card and said I got it. She started to cry and asked if she could hug me. I said sure. She asked why I sad because you needed help. She said yes but you don't know me. I said I don't need to know you just to help you. Have a blessed day. She said are you from Florida? I said no mam I'm from Texas. Now why she asked that I have no idea. But then she started crying and said thank you so much. And walked away. Now what I paid for was food. If it was a tv or a video game then no I wouldn't do that. But people need to eat. And our elderly need help sometimes. They helped us so it's time to help them.

RVM481968 eagle 475hp Detroit 8v92
Dwayne & Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 07:57 AM   #125
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Very nice Dwayne and Shara! Good on ya.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:01 PM   #126

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
With Les' indulgence and just to jump the season I had to post this little event from a small Ontario town. It really is A FEEL GOOD STORY.

Apologies for the ad inclusion.

Ontario town holds Christmas parade for terminally-ill 7-year-old | CTV News