Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2015, 10:22 AM   #1
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
The "FEEL GOOD" Thread

I thought I would start this thread to have a place for those of you who have come to someone's aid, done a good deed or have an act of heroism without expectation of pay or return, to post and how it made you "Feel Good".

The power of this type of act is something I'm sure many of you have experienced either as the doer or recipient and I'm sure would be good reading.

Personally, I'd like to hear your story as I'm sure others would.
Who knows....it may incite others to do the same.

My own recent story:

I was traveling down the highway and came across some commotion on the side of the road. As I slowly drove by, I saw a group of cyclists sitting on the road with a group of people huddling around them. I passed and doubled-back and asked if they needed First Aid (I'm trained as a Level 1 First Aid but not my job), to which they retorted "Yes Please"!
Apparently, the woman was crossing some rail road tracks and got her front cycle tire in the rail crossing, did an end over end and landed on her shoulder, elbow and hip. Her skin was gashed open on her elbow down to the bone.

I took out my first aid kit and administered first aid. Someone suggested calling an ambulance, however we were about 15 miles from the city and likely it would take 25 minutes for the ambulance just to arrive.
I could see she was going into shock and offered to drive her and her husband to the hospital right away. They agreed and I helped her into my truck, put their bikes in the back and drove them to the Emergency ward.
I waited for her husband to take her in and then I drove him and the bikes home to get his own vehicle.

He couldn't thank me enough times and offered me money for my troubles.
I refused and said "Maybe one day I'll be on the side of the road and in need of help and I truly believe someone will also stop for me".
I gave him my card and said "Just send me an email and let me know how your wife is doing".

He welled up in tears, shook my hand and said "Thank you so much again" and commended me on my Good Samaritan act.

I left with a full heart!
It made my day and I know it was a good thing to do!
I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

Let's hear your story!
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2015, 10:37 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Hey Dogpatch! Your story made me "Feel Good" just reading it! Good on you for stepping in there to assist. Safe travels, sir!
Good man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 03:24 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
A while back I saw a car stuck in the snow by an off ramp. I turned around and went to check for anyone who might have been in the car. It was snowing very heavily at the time, and as I got out of my jeep an older gentleman got out of the car. I asked if he was ok, he said he was, but his wife was getting cold as he was turning the car off and on to conserve his fuel as he didn't know when someone would be there to help. I told him to get back in his car and get his wife warmed up while I hooked a chain up. That done I went to his door and told him I would pull and he should just put his car in reverse and steer. I pulled him out and as I walked back to tell him to have a great night, I noticed a WWII sign on his bumper. He tried to pat me as I was leaving, I told him I was a Veteran myself, and I would not leave him behind.
I felt so good that night. There are many others I have helped in the 15 years of fire fighting and emergency service, but he and his wife stand out the most to me.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:05 PM   #4
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Good one 99-AM.Star!
Your story of the snow bank save reminds of another one.

A number of years ago, we had a huge snow storm where I lived. Overnight we got about 2-1/2 feet of it. So much snow it brought the city to a grinding halt. Most places were closed and services were taxed to the max.
I had a 4x4 at the time and managed to get through the snow and got to work. En-route, I couldn't help but notice how many people were stuck after trying to get mobile.
We were dead at work so I left and went to Home Depot and bought a tow strap and proceeded to drive around and tow people out of snow drifts.
People were offering me money after I pulled them out and I just said "No thanks, please make a donation to your favourite charity or somehow find a way to pay it forward". People were flabbergasted, but I was just having a good time doing it!
About 30 cars and 5-1/2 hours later, I finally went home and told my pregnant wife what I had been doing all day. She just smiled. I was beaming from my antics.

About 1/2 hour later, there was knock at my door. It was the local news station. They said they had received numerous calls about this guy who was just driving around and helping people who were stuck. (How they found me I still don't know). They asked me why I chose to go out and do this selfless act for so many.
I simply said "It just made me feel good to help" and to this day that $75 tow strap was the best money I ever spent for the return I got in joy!

Keep those stories coming if you've got one!
Old 07-22-2015, 04:45 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Feeling Good and Amused!!

When I was about 24yo I was running a load up to Boston with my Peterbilt and saw a middleaged woman stuck with a flat on I-95 in Connecticut. I stopped to help and she looked terrified seeing me jump out of my truck, I told her I just wanted to help but i guess she was scared seeing me jump out with my full red afro type hair and full beard!!! I finally convinced her to let me put her spare on, got it buttoned up and as I lowered it the tire hit the ground and she took off leaving me her flat tire and her jack on the side of the road! I was nervous that she would say I did something wrong so I left her stuff on the side of the road and delivered my load. Hope she made it home. Another time my other half and I were coming up from Florida with another load, a big Buick station wagon from NY was upside down in the median on I-95 , there were like 5 kids and 4 adults all in different stages of injuries, some serious. We got the blankets out of the sleeper and my cooler with ice, the exit was about 1/2 mile to a fire station. Troopers pulled up and started yelling at us to not touch the people as we didn't have gloves on and you don't know what those foriegners from NY might have. I told him if he wasn't going to help then find someone that would! He looked over at my rig and made some silly comment after seeing the NY tags on it about oh now it makes sense. We left after the FD EMS came but we often wondered how those people made out? They were foreigners in that SC troopers eyes because they were from NY and were Polish, didn't speak a word of english and were just trying to get those kids to Disneyland! Bobby
FastGlassMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 04:53 PM   #6
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Nice Bobby!
Thankfully the feeling one gets from helping someone in need surpasses all the added bull that can come from people who just don't get it.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:01 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Great stories Les. I never seem to be in those types of situations, but I do appear to be Mr. Direction man whenever I am riding my bicycle. Always get stopped by people trying to find some road or another. It has dwindled in recent years due to phone GPS, but it still happens.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:13 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
This happened back in about 1979-80. We were traveling back from Boston having just attended my DW Sisters wedding. As we were leaving the Boston area I got a call from a trucker that noticed my MI plates. He said he had a young man going to Detroit and would I stop and pick him up. So I did.

He was a nice young man hitching his way back to Detroit. We were traveling in our 1977 Tioga 23' Class C MH. It had two bunks in the back for the kids and the queen sized bed for us up top.

At that time we were still working and driving 10-12-14 hours a day so we could do as much as we could. We drove until about 2-AM. I crashed and the kid slept on the floor. We got up had breakfast and continued along towards Detroit. We talked a lot because I was driving to get home. I asked him how long he had been hitching his way around the country and did he ever have any problems with somebody trying to beat him up and take his stuff? He said he'd been out for several years but never had any issues. I did what I could to caution him about the bad ones. We finally reached Detroit, dropped him off and went on home.

About 6 months later I got a letter at the school. I didn't tell him where I lived but mentioned the name of the school. He called the school and verified that I worked there. He told me that he did in fact get rolled some weeks later. He lost everything he had. He thanked us for the trip, meals, food and all the talks we had while driving.

It kind of gives you a great feeling that you touched somebody in even a small way. Lets see that was over 30 years ago. He's probably telling his kids about his trip from Boston to Detroit and his ride in a MH.

TeJay
Old 07-22-2015, 06:47 PM   #9
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
All things of the heart make a difference in the world Tejay.

We are all changed by it in some small way no matter what people say.

Even the hardest of hearts is softened by kindness.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:07 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
I overheard a coworker on the phone with her husband talking in hushed tones. They were talking about how they were going to cover the back to school expenses and what the kids would have to do without. I got a money order and had a friend send it from out of state. Attached a note to just pay it forward and not necessarily with money but helping or showing kindness. She came in to the office talking about her secret angel. My heart felt a little lighter that day. I know she did pay it forward by helping another family.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:06 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Good thread idea Les!! Good on you for your help to those folks. These days alot of people would just drive by.
Over the years on the road I have assisted a few accidents and helped a few souls in need.
It is not related really but the one that got me the most was when my Dad was in the hospital one time there was a man in the next bed to him that was very elderly. I always said hello to him when I walked in and it seemed to make his day. One day when the nurses were working with my Dad I sat down with this old fellow(Jack was his name) and struck up a conversation. The next thing I knew he was crying. I asked if I had said something to upset him and he said Oh no, it is just so nice that someone would take the time to talk to me. I visited him every time I went in there. I have never forgotten that to this day and always take the time for the older folks. Some of them are just plain lonely, and it takes so little to make their day.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:43 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Dennis, I have a similar story. Not about me, but a dear friend of mine who is a nurse in a nursing home in Austin. She sees so many sad stories every single day. In particular, one little elderly woman who took particular care in dressing every Sunday, telling everyone "my son is coming today."

Needless to say, her son never came. Every Sunday, the same thing. The little lady all dressed up and sitting expectantly in the public area... waiting. My friend's heart would break each Sunday.

So, she began sending small gifts and occasional flowers to the little lady, signing the absent son's name to each enclosed card.

The little lady died last year. Her son never came.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:03 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Wow Sarah, that is sad indeed. It is a very common thing in nursing homes it seems. Your friend is a wonderful Lady!!
Old 07-23-2015, 10:34 PM   #14
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BethLL View Post
She came in to the office talking about her secret angel. My heart felt a little lighter that day. I know she did pay it forward by helping another family.
Anonymous! What a great way to see the fruits of your thoughtfulness. Very nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
I have never forgotten that to this day and always take the time for the older folks. Some of them are just plain lonely, and it takes so little to make their day.
Good on you Dennis for taking the time to make the old guy feel special!