Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2007, 04:51 AM   #1
CD

Last week all the news media was talking about the Fema trailers poisoning people because of glues etc. used in the construction that contained formaldehyde. We as Rvers have been dealing with this for about 50yrs. I can now see some of these people sueing Fema and we as tax payers getting the bill. I feel it should be the Rv industry that should be responsible. I don't know if all RV manufacturers are guilty but some are and they should step up to the plate and correct the problem. I am not taking sides with Fema but I can't see where they were negligent

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2007, 04:51 AM   #2
CD

Last week all the news media was talking about the Fema trailers poisoning people because of glues etc. used in the construction that contained formaldehyde. We as Rvers have been dealing with this for about 50yrs. I can now see some of these people sueing Fema and we as tax payers getting the bill. I feel it should be the Rv industry that should be responsible. I don't know if all RV manufacturers are guilty but some are and they should step up to the plate and correct the problem. I am not taking sides with Fema but I can't see where they were negligent

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
Old 07-25-2007, 06:44 AM   #3

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In a way I can see such trailers or RV's in general having this problem. I do not know if all RV's are made using materials containing the formaldehyde compound, but I believe keeping an RV closed for long periods of time without ventilation will cause problems. So maybe they need to open the windows in those FEMA trailers and ventilate them
Old 07-25-2007, 09:59 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
***cough***cough***cough

Okay - now may I have my big settlement from Uncle Sam?

Old 07-26-2007, 07:44 PM   #5

Now I know where to tell a guy on another RV forum where to go to obtain this nasty stuff he wants to place in his trailer while in Florida storage, to prevent mold while he is away.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 07-27-2007, 03:45 AM   #6
paz

Formaldehyde-containing adhesives are used in many construction materials including particle board (commonly used in sub-flooring and furniture), plywood (commonly used in sub-flooring, paneling, laminate counter tops, and furniture), oriented strand board (commonly used for roof decking), and medium density fiberboard (commonly used in furniture). Many of these products are (and have been for years) used in RV manufacture as well as home building. The fumes are irritating to some people including those living in houses, not just RVs. Because of the smaller quarters and higher use of composite wood materials, however, RVs may be more of a problem. The situation was undoubtedly made worse because the trailers were new and the formaldehyde didn't have time to dissipate. Also, many of the trailers sat closed up in storage for long periods.

If the RV manufacturers followed their normal building process and met FEMA specifications for the trailers, IMO they can't be considered to be at fault. If FEMA specs had limits on formaldehyde levels which the RV manufacturers exceeded, then that's a different story. My guess is nobody thought of formaldehyde until some of the trailer recipients had problems.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:03 AM   #7

Appalachian Campers
These materials are used everyday in the manufacture of mobile homes and double wides. It's nothing new. I bought a new mobile home about 15 years ago, and when the brought it and set it up, they opened all the windows, and told us to stay out of it for 2 days. After that, you could still smell it a little bit, but for the most part it was gone. Then after a few weeks of living in it with kids, pets and cooking, it was gone. Sounds like someone that got a handout, wants another handout to me. I don't think FEMA actually "had these built to spec". I believe they just bought up as many as they could as fast as they could from wherever they could.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:50 AM   #8
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Many of the folks that got these trailers didn't know that all RV's and manufactured housing have formaldehyde odors to some degree.

Of course the press didn't have a clue, and it made great headlines to sensationalize the issue.

The press claims they don't make the news, but they sure do decide what makes the news.

Old 07-27-2007, 06:40 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Every trailer that I bought had a declaration sticker in an obvious place that said that the vehicle was constructed using materials that include formaldehyde. The resolution of the odor and gas problem is to allow the vehicle to vent and shortly thereafter the odor and hazard will dissipate.

The "sensationalistic press" is making more out of this that is needed. No one deserves a settlement or any other type of monetary compensation for being given a home in which to reside in the event of an emergency.

If people are going to be allowed to sue for these type on construction materials what are we all going to live in?
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
Old 07-27-2007, 07:11 AM   #10

When we bought our current camper it was a year old but only used once or twice at most. It had been closed up the rest of the time. The smell was so strong, my eyes watered. ds16 even complained about it and he is not a complainer. I simply opened up the vents and windows and turned on the fan on the a/c. After a few days camping in it, it was gone. No long term affects on anyone.

Why are they just now bringing this up after so long. When I was at my mom's in New Orleans just after 4th of July they ran a story and had a guy standing outside of his trailer at a FEMA park talking about how bad it was. I find it hard to believe it would still be causing probs unless they never opened any windows or doors. This is ridiculous.

My mom lived in a FEMA trailer for months afterwards and never once complained. My sister still has a FEMA trailer and has yet to mention it to me and she is sensitive to stuff like that.

I agree that it is someone looking for a handout.

Old 07-27-2007, 07:37 AM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Unfortunately, too many individuals and/or their attorneys are looking to hit the next big "litigation lottery", and this smells like it could be it (pun intended)!

Rusty
Old 07-28-2007, 12:04 AM   #12

I walked into a new Motorhome on LazyDays lot before it was ventilated/prepped for display and my eyes watered.

Oh boy! I can retire now!

Still people out there looking for the next million dollar cup of coffee.

Why do you think they feel it neccesary to put a warning in the manual for your steam iron telling you that your not supposed to use it on the clothes that you are currently wearing.

Prices are going to jump up again to pay for more attourneys to think up better warning labels and disclaimers. While they are at it they may as well raise taxes too.

In the end we all pay the price for these frivolas law suites many times over.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:45 AM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
I think it might be a good example of how for no business to deal with fema in the future without having them sign off for any future litigations.

Stuff like this just irritates the **** out of me, and drives me to the thought that, "Well, ****, we try to help your dumb selves and this is what we get, next time, yer on your own."
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
Old 07-28-2007, 10:18 AM   #14

Well I have seen some of those FEMA trailers on E-bay and a little off gassing is the least of the problem They are quite beat up Open up the windows and air it out a little it will disapate in time

2006 30 ft Cherokee TT
Closed Thread