Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2011, 10:53 PM   #1

The fine print

This is the fine print that came with a very good Phishing attempt from what looks to be a good BOA web site. I don't have a BOA account and never did, nor will I ever.

Beware if you see something like this. It is not legitimate.

"Your account might be placed on restricted status. Restricted accounts continue to receive payments, but they are limited in their ability to send or withdraw funds. To lift this restriction, you need to login into your account (with your username or SSN and your password), then you have to complete our verification process. You must confirm your credit card details and your billing information as well. All restricted accounts have their billing information unconfirmed, meaning that you may no longer send money from your account until you have reactivated your billing information on file."

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2011, 11:36 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks Dunner.

historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:43 AM   #3

Suckers born every minute from these type letters. I've had a lot of banks do this to me and all are false of course. Yet, some folks fall for this and get ripped but good.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:48 AM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I get several of them weekly, even some from The Bank Of Nigeria. All are phony and I turn them is a phishing scams.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 03:16 AM   #5

I get them almost weekly too, but you should have seen this full cover one. It was good.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:48 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you contact yor bank/credit card co. they should have a weeb site you can foward these e-mailes to and they investigate them. The phoney ones look more like the real then the real. The catch is the real will never ask for that info over the internet. If you are not sure don't open but call your bank/credit card co. and ask.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:08 AM   #7
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Some sound so fishy (or is it phishy) I just delete them without a second thought.

I have received some official emails from businesses I deal with and I am suspicious of them so I don't click on the provided link, but click on my bookmark to be sure I'm on the official web site.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:16 AM   #8
paz

NEVER contact your bank or credit card company through a link to a web site or phone number sent to you in an email! Use the phone number on the back of your credit card, the phone number on your bank statement, or the phone number you may already have programmed into your phone. To log onto your account on the internet, do as as Route 66 says and use your own bookmark, and look for https:// in the address line BEFORE you enter your password or any sensitive information.

We got a call a few weeks ago about suspected fraudulent activity on our credit card. We told them we would look up some receipts on our end and call them back. Then we called back using the Customer Service phone number on the back of the credit card instead of the number they gave us. Turned out in this case the call was legit - there was someone trying to use our credit card number, but we avoided any potential problem by calling back using a known, good phone number.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:22 AM   #9

If BOA was my bank, I might report it, but with BOA's predatory practices, I'm not going to do anything remotely beneficial for them. They're always the first in the news when it come to screwing over their customers and the last to correct a bad decision. As always, YMMV.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikron View Post
If you contact yor bank/credit card co. they should have a weeb site you can foward these e-mailes to and they investigate them. The phoney ones look more like the real then the real. The catch is the real will never ask for that info over the internet. If you are not sure don't open but call your bank/credit card co. and ask.
The problem is most of these come from overseas and the U.S. can do nothing about it...No they cant shut them down overseas..
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:05 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Never (ever) click any link in an email. Never. You will avoid 99.9% of all phishing attempts by following this simple advice. Never. There is never any reason to click a link in an email. Email is a very simple technology and is easily spoofed and forged. Links can be made to look like they are legitimate, when they actually got to someplace totally different. Never click links in emails. (never, ever)
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:06 AM   #12

About 6 months ago, I set up a scammer by creating a phony email address and Craigslist account. I gave him my password and he totally trashed my add with bogus HTML code. I kept him going and got his info, then reported him to the Cox spam police. Last I heard, they were pursuing him and thanked me for my effort to put these maggots behind bars. Would I do it again? Naw... not worth the time and trouble, but I did give him reason to doubt his heritage and the medical history of his mother.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:08 AM   #13

I don't know if it is still true, but I heard the Nigerian gov't was going after these guys.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:51 AM   #14

Is there anything wrong with the email address of the low-life phisher?
I added the spaces so it wouldn't appear as an email.

onlinebaning @ ealerts . bankofamerica . com