Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-27-2016, 10:51 AM   #1
The Ford Willow Run B-24 bomber

Willow Run B-24s -

The long hanger at Willow Run, Michigan has a 90 degree turn in it so Henry Ford would not have to pay taxes in the next county. That short end is being saved and restored today as a museum. The big hanger doors are still operational after all these years.

This is one of the best and most informative clips about a great American accomplishment, thanks to the Ford Motor Company during WWII.

A Ford Airplane! AMAZING!

Production began here 6 months BEFORE Pearl Harbor! Henry Ford was determined that he could mass produce bombers just as he had with cars, so he built the Willow Run assembly plant and proved it. This was the world's largest building under one roof at the time. This film will absolutely blow you away -- one B-24 every 55 minutes! -- and Ford had its own pilots to test them. And no recalls!

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2016, 11:39 AM   #2
The Ford Willow Run B-24 bomber plant

I used to live 12 miles from Willow Run. In the 60's, this was also the main Detroit airport before moving to the current location. My wife tells about flying out of Willow Run in a Lockheed Constellation to see Michigan play in a rose bowl game. I guess the plan to demolish everything didn't happen. I was at Concours d'Elegance in Plymouth Michigan a few years back, and saw some people walking around with signs to "Save the bomber plant".

A great book describing how Edsel Ford built the plant: "The Arsenal of Democracy" Available as hardcover or Kindle from Amazon: Robot Check

BTW, there was an earlier Ford airplane, the Ford Tri-motor FordTriMotor.org

George Schweikle Lexington, KY
1999 Safari TREK 2830, FMCA 190830, Safari International chapter
1995 Safari TREK 2630, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 12:56 PM   #3
I read a book named "World War II in the air" in the book it stated that by the later part of the war the U.S. had a single factory that was producing more aircraft that the entire Axis powers. I done remember the name of the factory but it could have been the Willow Run you mentioned.
Paul, Kathy, and Tux a 4 month Mini Schnauzer
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42 LH, 2013 Honda CRV
"When the time comes to look back, make sure you'll like what you see"
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 01:14 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Six years ago it was still open. Watched the Blue Angels perform at the air show there.
Neal and Deb + Mya and Gizmo, the pup's
2003 Winnebago Sightseer 30B

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 02:13 PM   #5
A great video of an amazing accomplishment by Ford.

We visited his original shop at Greenfield Village, MI.

There is a tri-motor that flies at Oshkosh during the EAA event there. Years ago we took our then 11 year old grandson from OR to WV with us stopping at many NPs, the AF Museum, Smithsonian Air&Space, and EAA Oshkosh. I tried to get him a ride in the tri-motor with Chuck Yeager flying it, but during the only time that fit our schedule it was flying with a group of handicapped kids. A disappointment for the grandson, but what a great experience for those kids. We couldn't wait longer because I had to get back to OR for work.

Thanks for posting the video and information about the tri-motor.

dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 03:50 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for posting Ray, very interesting. Something I never new. Just amazing stuff Ford did.
Bruce & Nancy
FMCA F280542
2004 Bounder 35E
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 06:42 PM   #7
I think I was there too. I love the sound of the jets overhead. Did they have an F4 flying then too? We came on a Sunday and missed the main attraction on Saturday - I forget what that was.
2016 Forest River Grey Wolf - 26DBH
Dr-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 08:44 AM   #8
Freightliner Owners Club
Good timing Ray-- There have been a group of WW2 aircraft here in Pensacola the last few days. "Wings of Freedom". A B-17 Flying Fortress, B-24 Liberator and a P-51 Fighter. They are giving rides to the public. The bomber seats go for $450 and the single (2nd) seat in P-51 is $2200 for the short ride and $3200 for a full hour
Hooligan, Pensacola, Fl -U.S. Coast Guard 1956-1985
2016 Thor Siesta Sprinter 24ST diesel
Our Pug "Lily" & "George" the Newfoundland
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 08:58 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Ray! I had no idea that Henry Ford built airplanes!

Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote