Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2008, 07:49 PM   #1

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
When I was 16 five of us guys use to give a friend on Saturday night a quarter a piece for a dollar worth of gas and a quart of oil for his 1950 Ford. We would ride around until midnight. Most of the time he would cut off the motor and coast down the hills.
Tom

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2008, 07:49 PM   #2

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
When I was 16 five of us guys use to give a friend on Saturday night a quarter a piece for a dollar worth of gas and a quart of oil for his 1950 Ford. We would ride around until midnight. Most of the time he would cut off the motor and coast down the hills.
Tom

Old 06-06-2008, 02:37 AM   #3

remember paying 18.9 per gal in the late 60's sure is fun to dream and remember! yesterday on a ride home passed acouple of stations at 4.99 for diesel. jim
beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 04:07 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yep, we paid 19.9 cents a gallon (up to 21.9 cents)for gas when we got married in 1969. Of course I was also making less than 8% of what I make per year now. If you just adjust the numbers, we are paying more for the gas in adjusted dollars.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:27 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
In 10 years 2008 will be the "good old days".

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 04:45 AM   #6
paz

I remember paying as low as 25.9 cents a gallon (the rest of you must be a lot older ), but I was only making 75 cents an hour back then. Several of us guys used to pull our resources and chip in for gas. Bought a dollars worth and told the gas station attendant (remember those?) to "drain the hose."
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 04:47 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had a mentor friend several years ago that said this after I used the term Good Old Days.

"Don, the gold old days are right now. They are not going to get any better than today. Take today enjoy it and make the most of it."
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 07:07 AM   #8

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
When I was 16 I made a $1.00 a hour working in tobacco. My first real job in 1964 I made $79.00 a week. It was a union job out of Chicago, installing central office telephone equiptment. I had to travel southeastern United States. In a 1963 Chevy II, no air, no power windows or door locks, no automatic transmission, no power sterring or brakes.
Tom
Old 06-06-2008, 07:33 AM   #9

When I joined the Navy in 1962 I got $72 a month and they "strongly suggested" that you take out a $10 US Savings Bond from that. Ended up with $32 on the 15th and 31st. Of course sea stores cigarettes were 10 cents a pack and beer was 25 cents for a 16 oz frosty mug.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:56 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Glad some remember how the gas prices were a while back. My kids think I'm having a senior moment when I tell them I could buy 5 gal for a buck, not 1 gal for 5 bucks. Aw, the old days, I remember when they had a gas war and the prices went down. Of course you could get a pretty good clunker for 50 bucks, and it actually ran. My dad had two service stations and his profit per gallon ran 1-2 cents. The money was in tires, lube & oil, and tune ups. And yes I do remember a few folks asking me to be sure to drain the hose. For a bucks worth of gas you got the windshield cleaned, oil, water and tires checked and you never had to leave the car. I grew up in San Francisco and also remember Mels Drive In. And all the good times around the Haight Ashberry area.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 03:22 PM   #11

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
I remember filling the tank on my 1964 Ford Fairlane for about what a gallon of gas costs today.
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 05:57 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 09:26 AM   #13

Yep, worked in a gas station while in High School, as said everything was full service even $1 of gas. Check oil, battery, water, air pressure and clean windshield. The really pretty girls got theirs cleaned extra special good and if we weren't real busy we'd offer to vacuum the floors. $.75 hr. The summer between my Jr&Sr year,1959, got a job on an oil drilling rig. $1.96 hr. Worked 8hrs, 7days a week. Every 2wks you would be off 8hrs then come back to a different shift, called a hurry back. Then every 6wks when going from 3to11 to 11to7 you would get a whopping 32hrs. off. They paid every 2wks. and I had gone to work on a Tuesday of the second week. Well we got paid and my check was $66, wow then 2wks later got a full check, $203. There wasn't that much money in the world. 17yr. old kid in 59 with that much money. Anyway, I saved $1000 that summer. Dad and I made a deal that if I spent that on a "New" Volkswagen he would pay the notes thru the school year and I would pay him back next summer. $1634 was the cost of a brand new 60 VW. Even had 2 options, whitewalls and a radio. 36hp. it would do 78 with just me and a near empty tank and maybe a little taiwind. No gas gauge, just a foot lever for when you ran out of gas it would switch to the reserve tank which was 1.5 gal.or another 50mi. 9 total gals in the tank. Life sure was simple then.
Dave
MCDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 02:41 AM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MCDDY:
Yep, worked in a gas station while in High School, as said everything was full service even $1 of gas. Check oil, battery, water, air pressure and clean windshield. The really pretty girls got theirs cleaned extra special good and if we weren't real busy we'd offer to vacuum the floors. $.75 hr. The summer between my Jr&Sr year,1959, got a job on an oil drilling rig. $1.96 hr. Worked 8hrs, 7days a week. Every 2wks you would be off 8hrs then come back to a different shift, called a hurry back. Then every 6wks when going from 3to11 to 11to7 you would get a whopping 32hrs. off. They paid every 2wks. and I had gone to work on a Tuesday of the second week. Well we got paid and my check was $66, wow then 2wks later got a full check, $203. There wasn't that much money in the world. 17yr. old kid in 59 with that much money. Anyway, I saved $1000 that summer. Dad and I made a deal that if I spent that on a "New" Volkswagen he would pay the notes thru the school year and I would pay him back next summer. $1634 was the cost of a brand new 60 VW. Even had 2 options, whitewalls and a radio. 36hp. it would do 78 with just me and a near empty tank and maybe a little taiwind. No gas gauge, just a foot lever for when you ran out of gas it would switch to the reserve tank which was 1.5 gal.or another 50mi. 9 total gals in the tank. Life sure was simple then.
Dave </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ten years later gas was around 25 cents a gallon and a new Power Wagon was about $3000 for the top end Camper Special model with AC, Tinted Glass and Body Side Moldings. You could get even a new full sized Oldmobile starting at $2500.

Gas was 18 cents a gallon during the Depression (1930) and 40 years later it had only gone up about 7 cents.

Parents would remind their children to wipe their feet before entering a building and most people would appologize if they slipped and swore in public.

Evening walks with the family to say hi to the neighbors sitting out on their front porches, little old ladies baking cookies for the neighborhood children and elderly couples walking in the park sharing their bags of candy with any child who was well behaved and wanted some.

The only people who said "Nothing personal it's just business." were criminals with the Mob or actors in a Mobster Movie.

Not much has changed since then....