Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2013, 10:12 AM   #1

The Ice Storm

Were having a big spring ice/snow storm around here. My power went off last night. I have been running the (made in 1978) Winco electric generator with the (made in 1983) Aillis Chalmers 6080 tractor for 12 hours now. Going to run out of fuel sometime today. I do have the (made in 1995) Case IH 7220 tractor backed up to the door so if I have to I can roll the generator over to it and use that to run it. But, the 7220 is a fuel hog. My brother may try to bring me a barrel of fuel by driving it over in the bucket of the Case IH 125 later today. We are being told not to expect the power to be back on for 3 days.

This storm has also been bad for the trees and the branches are still falling. So far the only damage I got is to the fence I built at the end of the driveway just last year. I have 2 small out buildings about 4 feet apart and a branch fell off the tree right between them without damaging either one. I hope my luck holds out but, you never know.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2013, 10:16 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Cold hurts, that is why I go south for the winter.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:47 AM   #3

I am sorry to hear you are having an ice storm. I wish I could send some of this hot weather we are having to melt your ice. We had an ice storm about 10 years ago that left us without power for about a week. My youngest son was about 1 , got lucky at Lowes about day 2 and arrived at the store just as they were getting a load of gens. We were staying at a very nasty motel, won't give details. Anyway I hope they get your power back on very soon.
volvosweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:49 AM   #4

My generator wouldn't start so went to plan b ran chords from machine shed to house off motorhome genny got things moved to motorhome planning on days without power. Finially got all situated about 8 pm last night. Power came on at 10 pm. So don't give out hope. Did I mention did all this during rain sleet and snow 10 inches last night. Oh I can't wait to retire south. Good luck. All u lucky people enjoying a well deserved retirement just smile.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:12 PM   #5

I have livestock here and have to keep the generator running so that the fans will keep running in the hog barn. If they go off the pigs stink themselves to death. If not for them I could just curl up in the RV and ride out the storm in there.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:20 PM   #6

44 hours so far with no electricity. The old tractor and generator are still working. We had to shut the tractor down for a few minutes to had hydraulic fluid. It has a leak. But, other wise it's all still running keep your fingers crossed for me.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:30 PM   #7

I have my fingers crossed for you... Been through 3 1/2 days here in Arkansas no power 3 years ago,,, we had to stay here, because of the "kids" (dogs).. No power to the well, but we had a small genny (before the motor home) to run a couple lights, and the propane furnace... Just this week we got caught in this late storm,, on our way back from AZ... Camped just west of Oklahoma City at a real nice KOA,, woke up to 1/4" of ice on everything... Power went out about 8 am Wed,, we were waiting for I40 to get moving again.. Our first Real trial of our rv,, genny worked great, kept us warm till we pulled out about 10am... Had to break ice off the genny air intake, and everything else... Good luck to you !!! I'd sure help you if we were a bit closer...
Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:46 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Your ice/snow got us on Tuesday and town has been out of power since then. Thank God for generator in the coach so we can run our heaters. If I could get the ice off the slides I would head South. But I do not want to leave this mess. That ice storm made the town look like a tornado went thru. Lots of firewood or mulch.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:50 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Power came back on yesterday afternoon about 4:00 PM. Rural areas still without power, lot of power poles broken. Might be week to ten days before some get power.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:20 PM   #10

Hang in there CaveMan...
We live in a hurricane area, Eastern NC.. even if they don't come ashore we still get alot of wind and rain.
The last storm we got was Hurricane Irene, (Sandy didn't cause us to loose power)
Irene cost us 6 days. During the storm, a large pecan tree branch took out the 14kw Generac. Unit started and ran, but the charging electronics were messed up. So we survived with the 2 freezers on 1 3500 generator, and the a chinese 3kw clone running the 5th wheel AC, that was the necessity!
rollondown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:10 PM   #11

Angry nice weather

Caveman: we are getting the same type of weather here 4 to 5 inches of snow and rain mix. AAAAHHH! when will we go camping?
Old 04-14-2013, 08:16 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denlor View Post
Caveman: we are getting the same type of weather here 4 to 5 inches of snow and rain mix. AAAAHHH! when will we go camping?
I feel like there will be no camping this year. Of course I'm just feeling down. But, I did get power back after 83 hours!!! Thank you Winco Generators and Aills Chalmers 6080 tractor for keeping the back up power going for that long.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:28 AM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Good to hear you have power, looks like more weather make be inbound..
Take care...
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:38 PM   #14

Glad we missed out on that one. Some places in the area was without hydro for a day, but not here.