Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2013, 08:59 PM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspradley View Post
Any tire manufacturer is capable of making a bad tire. The real question is what does that manufacturer do when a tire fails. OP's complaint is about Goodyears but others reference that their problem tires were covered by the manufacturer. That would not have happened if the tires had been made by Firestone. Their corporate policy is the customer is always wrong. Remember the Firestone 500 in the seventies and the Ford Explorer? In both cases Firestone made defective tires and in both cases Firestone said it was not their fault. YMMV.

ronspradley

Yup. I had a set of Firestone Firehawks on my '83 Camaro Z28 back at the turn of the century that Firestone recalled. I waited until the very last minute to have them replaced under the recall, and they took 'em and gave me a brand new set. They drilled 1" holes in the sidewalls and threw them on the tire pile.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2013, 09:52 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspradley View Post
Any tire manufacturer is capable of making a bad tire. The real question is what does that manufacturer do when a tire fails. OP's complaint is about Goodyears but others reference that their problem tires were covered by the manufacturer. That would not have happened if the tires had been made by Firestone. Their corporate policy is the customer is always wrong. Remember the Firestone 500 in the seventies and the Ford Explorer? In both cases Firestone made defective tires and in both cases Firestone said it was not their fault. YMMV.

ronspradley

Hey Ron,

Back in the day my dad had a set of Firestones on a Ford Country Squire station wagon, and 3 out of the 4 tires all blew out the sidewalls of the tire, Firestone claimed that it had to be the way my father drove, (yeah right) Firestone finally replaced the 3 but as soon as they did, my dad took the car down and had them all swapped out for Uniroyals, and they lasted until it was time to replace them with no issues at all. But I have never owned a set of Firestones simply because of what happened with my dad.

Cheers !!!
PTJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:26 AM   #17

The former owner of my motorhome owned a trucking co.When I bought it the tires were Michelins.Seven years later with no problems I replaced them with the same.
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:00 PM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Toyos for me. The original Michelin XRVs had to be replaced at 4 years on the fronts, and 5 years on the rears, due to severe sidewall cracking. I resided, and the motorhome was kept, in California. I used tire covers when not in use. The Toyos are 4 1/2 years old now and have been trouble free with no sidewall cracking evident.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:06 AM   #19

I had two Goodyear G 670 fail on a past coach as well. Just put Bridgestone on existing coach.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:29 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
In over 40 years of owning RV's the only 2 blow outs I had.

Were with Michelin XRV 22.5" tires. 4 Years 8 months & 6 years 1 month
Never will have another Michelin on any vehicle I own.

Running Good Year G670's now that are 8 years 4 months old.
If they will go to 10 years without a blow out. Then they will be replaced with same.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:55 AM   #21

Call me lucky. I am amazed that people have so many problems with tires. In almost 50 years of driving everything from motorcycles to 40' trucks, I have never experienced a blowout. Plenty of flats, yes. And consider that in my younger years I often could only afford to purchase used tires.

When I purchased our 10 year old MH it still had the original GY670s. Even wear, no external cracks, and the seller claimed never having a problem with them in over 30,000 miles. They felt fine on the test drive and I hope to get another 10 years out of them. :kidding - replaced them.

Of course, if I had the same problems with tire brands as others here, I too would avoid that brand.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:08 AM   #22

We have Goodyears on everything. Never any problems. We haul heavy on all kinds of roads. I try to not run any tire past 50% tread depth. Goodyears rock!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	223.5 KB
ID:	44912  
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:13 AM   #23

Goodyears hauling in Nebraska.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	300.8 KB
ID:	44913  
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:38 AM   #24

Over the last 45 years I have had more tires of more brands than most folks. Most served me very well, and I do not distrust any that are bashed simply due to unique incidences, hearsay or emotional tripe. Documented cause perks up my ears, though.

Sidewall zipper blow outs have happened to all of the RV tire mfgrs I know of. Stuff happens.

Every tire maker can have issues, just like other stuff can, like cars, stoves, washers, rugs, levelers, key fobs, and bacon.

BTW, my G670s have been fine. BFGs worked well too.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:49 AM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Over the last 45 years I have had more tires of more brands than most folks. Most served me very well, and I do not distrust any that are bashed simply due to unique incidences, hearsay or emotional tripe. Documented cause perks up my ears, though.

Sidewall zipper blow outs have happened to all of the RV tire mfgrs I know of. Stuff happens.

Every tire maker can have issues, just like other stuff can, like cars, stoves, washers, rugs, levelers, key fobs, and bacon.

BTW, my G670s have been fine. BFGs worked well too.
Wait.... There are issues with bacon? PLEASE tell me that was a typo.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:02 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
We have Goodyears on everything. Never any problems. We haul heavy on all kinds of roads. I try to not run any tire past 50% tread depth. Goodyears rock!
Nice fleet of Pete's.
TRAILERKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:06 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
This tire was less than a year old. I had checked all 12 tire pressures (truck, trailer and spares) before departing that morning, as I do anytime we are towing. We were pulling an empty flat bed equipment trailer to go pick up a load of hay when it happened. This did NOT occur due to low/high pressure.
Since your tires would still be covered by the GoodYear warranty, I would be interested to know what they said about the failure.
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:11 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post

Wait.... There are issues with bacon? PLEASE tell me that was a typo.
Yes, sad to say. Some brands do not know the term "thick sliced". :-(
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote