Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2012, 08:34 AM   #1
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
The Longest Day, June 6, 1944

"Here's to the "Greatest Generation!"

Without their sacrifice for Duty, Honor and Country we would not be able to enjoy the freedoms we take so much for granted today.

I remember in reverence these places; Utah, Omaha, Gold, Juno and Sword.

These words although muted by time will always ring true much in the same manner as those spoken in haste on a gloomy Pennsylvania battlefield .....

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few ... !"

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2012, 09:49 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
To the Man I never met,

A few years ago I started doing research on Alfred J Newsom (AJ) (His actual last name was Newsom but the Army got that wrong through out his entire service records and listed him as Newson.) AJ was the brother of my Father In Law. He was a nember of the 501st PIR (Sister unit to the 506th "Band of Brothers".)

The family did not know much about the circumstances of his death. I was able to locate is grave and get a picture of his marker for my FIL. In the course of research I was able to find references to Him and 7 other unit members died June 7, 1944 from friendly Fire by the USS Quincy. This was part of an original manuscript by Stephen Ambrose who was the author if Band of Brothers chronicling the 506th PIR. It was a book that never made it to publication

YOU ARE NOT FORGOTTEN!

Alfred J. Newson (Newsom)

Private First Class, U.S. Army

501st Parachute Infantry Regt, (Co F) 101st Airborne Division

Entered the Service from: Missouri

Died: 7-Jun-44

Buried at: Plot C Row 13 Grave 32

Normandy American Cemetery Colleville-sur-Mer, France

Awards: Purple Heart

Old 06-06-2012, 01:25 PM   #3
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
From history we find these word as fitting tribute to those soldiers that hit the beach in Operation Overlord.

From Shakespeare's Henry V,

1598: KING HENRY V:
This story shall the good man teach his son;
And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remember'd;
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition:
And gentlemen in England now a-bed
Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.
Major Dick Winters passes away at age 92 from complication due to parkinsons disease .... William Guarnere, an 88-year-old veteran who served under Winters in Easy Company recalled, "He was a good man, a very good man. I would follow him to hell and back. So would the men from E Company."

Truely ... all were a Band of Brothers!
Old 06-06-2012, 02:20 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
A big HAND SALUTE to all of the Brothers and Sisters that have passed. May they Rest in Peace...........
1999 NEWMAR American Star (for sale) SOLD !!![* Newmar Kountry Kklub # 19708 * THOUSAND TRAILS * 2006 Chevy 3500 Dually Dmax/Ally SOLD* Curt Q20 (For Sale)* Prodigy P2 *US ARMY 1965-1967 * Disabled Vietnam Veteran 1966-1967 * Life Member VFW *
99-Am.Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:16 PM   #5

Yes indeed. One of my uncles landed on Omaha Beach. Today I asked several young people if they knew the significance of June 6. Not one of them knew of D Day. Sad.

God Bless the Greatest Generation and their sacrifices.

Don
Old 06-06-2012, 08:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
These words although muted by time will always ring true much in the same manner as those spoken in haste on a gloomy Pennsylvania battlefield .....

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few ... !"

Ummmm...... The quote is by Winston Churchill, made to the House of Commons
on 8-20-1940. He was talking about the RAF, who was engaged in The Battle
of Britain with the German Luftwaffe at the time.

D-Day was still almost 4 years away.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:44 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadeadeye View Post
Yes indeed. One of my uncles landed on Omaha Beach. Today I asked several young people if they knew the significance of June 6. Not one of them knew of D Day. Sad.

God Bless the Greatest Generation and their sacrifices.

Don
I was totally disgusted and saddened by the total lack of coverage of this momentous event. The ONLY discussion or comment I saw/heard about D-Day was by Rush Limbaugh.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:46 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Truely, THE GREATEST GENERATION.........
Old 06-12-2012, 05:16 PM   #9

Yes dieselclacker, Truly the greatest generation. My last living uncle from that war (now in his 80's) fought in many of the big battles and will always hold a special place in my heart as will all of my other uncles with their own stories from that war. It too saddens me that more was not said or done by the media about D day
hrhuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:00 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
The men and women who took part in this war were indeed a great generation. It has been my honor to have known several men that landed in France on D-Day, some were Uncles, others just friends. If you know any of the fplks that were in this war, talk to them now before it is to late. The truth is constantly being altered by the folks that write the history books. Talk to those who fought there and get the real story. God bless all past veterans, our current veterans and our future veterans.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:18 PM   #11

I had an uncle perish in WWII flying a B25. I had another uncle fly PBM's for the navy and went on to start his own business after the war. He never talked about it. My dad enlisted in both the navy and army but was medically discharged. Those that faught and died in WWII were good solders and should be remembered accordingly. I have nothing but admiration and respect for them all.

These soldiers, marines, sailors came home and restarted their lives and used thier talents to build this country. And I thank them (some of you) all.

However, to call them the greatest generation based on fighting in WWII does a great disservice to those that fought in Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, Afganistan, WWI, and of course that little conflict on our soil known as the Civil War. The soldiers that fought for the north (I'm a southerner) were fighting to save our nation.

Every generation has had their moment when our brave sons have stepped up and did what it took to stop wars, save nations, and bring peace.

Those fine words by Churchill were inspiring and true. But then so were these that were directed to the soldiers of that time.

Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battlefield of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But, in a larger sense, we cannot dedicate—we cannot consecrate—we cannot hallow—this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us—that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion—that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain—that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom— and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:51 PM   #12
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I believe that just about everyone knows that the combinations of casualties (death) by combat was the greatest in the Civil war, but it was a ware between "States," and not a war with any foreign country. The are truly a great generation of people who believed in their cause.

World War II however has had the most combat casualties of any war fought on foreign soil with just a little of 405,000 deaths. Those number far outweigh any future wars that were fought on foreign soil. The phrase "The Greatest Generation" was coined by Tom Brokaw who was referring to those who grew up in the "Great Depression," and then went on to fight in WW II.

They were preceded by "The Lost Generation" and the "Silent Generation." All of this information is available on the Web.

The saddest part is that any war has to be fought, and it is most regrettable that human life is lost. All past wars were either won or ended in a truce. The present war may never end, as there has never been a religious war that has been won, and that goes back to the Crusades, and the present conflict is a religious war even if it is only on a one-sided religious war.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:02 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
"These soldiers, marines, sailors came home and restarted their lives and used thier talents to build this country. And I thank them (some of you) all."

"However, to call them the greatest generation based on fighting in WWII does a great disservice to those that fought in Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, Afganistan, WWI, and of course that little conflict on our soil known as the Civil War. The soldiers that fought for the north (I'm a southerner) were fighting to save our nation."

"Every generation has had their moment when our brave sons have stepped up and did what it took to stop wars, save nations, and bring peace."

Tom, the soldiers, sailors, marines, and airmen who fought in WWII were not "THE" Greatest Generation, they were a "PART" of the Greatest Generation. You have to remember the condition our country was in at the beginning of the war, and what was accomplished in less than four years to obtain victory over Germany and Japan. The bravery of our military,in past and present conflicts was never in question.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:16 PM   #14
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
However, to call them the greatest generation based on fighting in WWII does a great disservice to those that fought in Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan, WWI, and of course that little conflict on our soil known as the Civil War. The soldiers that fought for the north (I'm a southerner) were fighting to save our nation.
The "Greatest Generation" is not so much a title bestowed to a group of men that fought for our country but a Biological timeline. This is true for much the same reason that I am biologically known as a "Baby Boomer". Then there are other generations more recent in modern times.

Here is Yahoo guideline for generation listings.Generation Timelines

Greatest Generation..................1911-1924

and Wikepedia Greatest Generation Defined

To honor that generation for their service is all together fitting and proper. This also includes Rosie the Riveter.