Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2012, 10:43 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I spent some time over at LPGA.com and this matter does not seem to be on the radar screen ....
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2012, 12:21 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Dang, DriVer.

You mention about the three great old pro golfers and now Bra's are being burned everywhere. And it's not always a pretty sight.

See what you started !!!!

Kerry
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:22 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by two-niner View Post
Dang, DriVer.

You mention about the three great old pro golfers and now Bra's are being burned everywhere. And it's not always a pretty sight.

See what you started !!!!

Kerry

Ain't that the truth. That DriVer guy is always stirring something up. Kinda like as in the Bosch case... maybe all the ladies that have a problem with Augusta's policies should contact him for guidance. He probably doesn't have much to do anyway now that THAT little problem went away. Besides, the poor man is really falling behind on his posting numbers and needs the boost. Your welcome DriVer... have a nice day! Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:43 PM   #18

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
IMO there's no question that the club has the legal right to restrict their membership to men only. The challenge they and their membership face is the publicity backlash. The club clearly doesn't care a bit about what the public thinks but their membership might not have that luxury when these captains of industry begin to get questions about why they would be a part of such discrimination.

Rick

Probably the only way to force them to change, or speed up the inevitable, would be a public / investor backlash against the public companies they run.
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:03 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When you are accepted to AUGUSTA golf club, you know full well what it means. No matter how much money you have, you just can't buy in to membership.
For the life of me I can not understand why a woman would want membership to a club like that. It is nothing more than a political statement, and I will be willing to bet that in my lifetime it is never going to happen.

It is a PRIVATE club, and they have every right to exclude women, no matter how neanderthal it seems. Men are women should be treated as equals, but we must remember they ARE different.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:53 AM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc3283 View Post
Some traditions shouldn't be messed with. I do not follow golf nor like golf nor understand the concept of "fun" trying to put a small ball in a whole a great distance away from me. That isn't my point. Not being sexist either, but women have their own golf organization...correct? Bowlers do as well. Many activities are gender based and gender biased. So think about this.....What will everyone say when little Johnny wants to be a girl scout? or Little Sally wants to be a boy scout?
People discriminate hundreds of times a day. Turn right or go straight ahead. Folgers or Maxwell House. Blue or green. Corn or peas, Baseball or tennis or golf?.

The only reason there is a concern is some woman or organization wants their 15 minutes of fame. To them, I offer the universal symbol of ill will, the dextrous digit, the fickle finger of fate, well you get the point. And to those who may be offended by my words, ihfgkjkh akhksd lkjs!

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:54 AM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
When you are accepted to AUGUSTA golf club, you know full well what it means. No matter how much money you have, you just can't buy in to membership.
For the life of me I can not understand why a woman would want membership to a club like that. It is nothing more than a political statement, and I will be willing to bet that in my lifetime it is never going to happen.

It is a PRIVATE club, and they have every right to exclude women, no matter how neanderthal it seems. Men are women should be treated as equals, but we must remember they ARE different.
Remember what Groucho said. "I wouldn't belong to a club that would have me as a member!"

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:52 AM   #22

This issue came up here at an exclusive golf club, women went to court and won. The club can select who they want as members but they cannot discriminate based on gender. Of course who is going to prove it?
Regarding my earlier post, I am not a golfer and was not aware of the Masters organizational details.I wasn't even aware of Augusta's policies toward non-whites and women until the media feeding frenzy over Tiger in 1997. Can picture Hootie and the boys sputtering over their mint juleps after that one.
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:36 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamguy View Post
People discriminate hundreds of times a day. Turn right or go straight ahead. Folgers or Maxwell House. Blue or green. Corn or peas, Baseball or tennis or golf?.

The only reason there is a concern is some woman or organization wants their 15 minutes of fame. To them, I offer the universal symbol of ill will, the dextrous digit, the fickle finger of fate, well you get the point. And to those who may be offended by my words, ihfgkjkh akhksd lkjs!
Is this how you'd explain it to your daughter?
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:45 PM   #24

Send a message via Skype™ to GSGracie
Doesn't the word golf mean "Gentlemen Only, Ladies Forbidden"?
Old 04-07-2012, 01:10 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

I don't have a dog in this hunt but just find it interesting to see what happens when the irresistible force meets an immovable object.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:01 AM   #26

For Clarification, the whole issue regarding IBM and Mrs. Rometty (Current CEO at IBM) is this:

Topic 1:
* The last 4 CEO's (Dating back to 1981) have all received membership into Augusta National.

* The last 4 CEO's (Dating back to 1981) have all been white Caucasian men!

Now that IBM has a woman as a CEO (Virginia Rometty), the issue is this:
* Does Augusta National continue with their own tradition of offering the CEO at IBM membership, even though the current CEO is a woman, which according to their committee is unacceptable?

OR

* Deny membership, breaking from their 30+ year 'tradition' and attempt to shove this issue under the rug?

Topic 2:
Augusta National has come out and publicly stated they're trying to grow the sport of golf...but how can you grow a sport to anyone and everyone who has an interest in said sport, when 1/2 of the population (aka 'targeted market) are women and your very club doesn't allow them!

Sorta like me wanting to grow the sport of basketball in the 'inner cities', but not allowing Black People to participate, even though the majority of people living in the inner cities are black ~ Or it's like you wanting to grow the sport of Golf in India, but not allowing someone who is Indian to join your club!

Either way, something major is going to happen!

To the person who said Augusta doesn't need its sponsors...you're probably right..but how long do you think the "Masters" can run profitably without a SPONSOR?

I doubt very long...but what do I know..I'm not into economics!

But I will say this...how can ANYONE support an organization that clearly shuns a specific race (African Americans) and a specific sex (Women)?

Isn't that discrimination?

I may not have a PhD or a Masters, but my gut says 'yes...yes that is!'...

RogueRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:27 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
One thing that bothers me is when barriers are broken down that might enable women into the "club" is that someone most times will want to change the rules to accommodate the new members. If allowed in the new members should live by the existing traditions/standards/rules regardless of gender.
JayGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:26 AM   #28

Our yacht club does not allow women members, and in fact women are not even allowed into the bar.

My wife, who is a brilliant woman, (MBA Harvard) sees absolutely no problem with this, and notes that the only women who would challenge this private club rule are insecure individuals looking to be accepted.

There are thousands upon thousands of clubs to choose from.

Some may accept you and others may not. That is life.