Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2012, 09:36 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueRVer View Post
Now that IBM has a woman as a CEO (Virginia Rometty), the issue is this:
* Does Augusta National continue with their own tradition of offering the CEO at IBM membership, even though the current CEO is a woman, which according to their committee is unacceptable?

Just for the record, I don't believe that they have stated that women members are unacceptable... nor to they discourage them from playing the course. They simply say that who they invite to be members and why is an internal matter they won't discuss it.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2012, 09:40 AM   #30

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Augusta is within their rights and can behave regarding this issue of female membership anyway they choose. Having a right and being right are two different things but this right of private organization to establish criteria for membership has long been upheld. The Boys Scouts has a basic do not ask do not tell policy on gay leadership. At one time (I'm not sure if it still stands) but the Girl Scouts would not allow a man to be the Executive in charge of a local council. Churches routinely establish and hold criteria for membership and leadership.

Now that IBM has a female CEO the consequences of their policy gets exposed, an unintended consequence, some say. But it is their burden to bear and in fact they may not consider it a burden. It is their choice.

When we establish rights and defend them in this country then we avail these same rights equally to all. If free speech is important then we must avail them to the KKK and the American Nazi Party, the ACLU and PETA et al. So then the rest of us are left with judging or ignoring or accepting what it is these folks, all folks have to say.
To her credit the new CEO at least as far as I have heard has not weighed in on this issue. Very smart lady. She may take some gaff from women for not being more forthcoming but why would she want to thrust herself and her new position in the middle of this quagmire created by Agusta. Let them decide and be judged by what they decide.

It seems Agusta has sheltered itself from having the tournamet wrenched from them for any reason at least in the short term. And I believe you would be loath to find a PGA player of any stature that wants the tournament changed. For the players it is and has been a landmark achievement to be invited and a way to financial security and fame to actually win. Same can be said of the PGA, it is time honored and very profitable tradition. Very profitable is a huge statement here.

However then how far does the moral imperitive extend? Does the issue belong just to Agusta? The players I reason could have an enormous effect on Augusta. You can be invited but you do not have to attend (this is a highly unlikely scenario perhaps as rediculous as the issue itself). What if as a group the top 125 PGA players and those from Europe and Asia and Arnie, Jack and Gary decided on the basis of this stand by Augusta they simply would not attend. Sory we are busy, RSVP as NO!

Ratings ciizens it's ratings and without them The Masters is a no go or becomes another also ran.

Really now who is going to tune in to watch John Daly tee off. Hey don't beat me up I actually like John Daly.

In the mean time I am routing for Phil MIchelson. IF he wins this one he can shed the shadow of Woods forever; I mean if he even gives a darn.

njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:53 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
I have no particular beef in this argument. I think they should allow women simply because it would be better for their image, and better for the game of golf (it would be fun to see the LPGA play there), but they are a private club and they can do what they like so I'm not particularly passionate either way. If any of the men had a problem with this they could choose to boycott the tournament. Nobody has so it just goes to show it's not currently an important enough issue. Private clubs are private clubs. I respect their rights as such.
Nina
Old 04-08-2012, 10:25 AM   #32

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
Is this how you'd explain it to your daughter?
I have done so and they agree.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:41 AM   #33

Now why did a nice OP turn into a discussion on political correctness?
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:00 AM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
FrankDamp....
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:25 PM   #35

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post

Very nice observation, I re read the OP, what a terrible tangled web we weave. I apologize for my personal transgression and offer this:

Yes it was good to see the ole boys tee off, I am not a golfer but like a lot of people I own golf clubs and show up once in a while to beat the pill around the green. Its not the golf I enjoy so much as the golf with friends and the fact that it is an honorable game played on your honor as to scoring and the rules.

Every time I see a pro ball player deny that he did not commit the infraction witnessed by replay and about 15 million viewers or that he caught the ball he obviously snatched from the turf I am reminded of the code of ethics in golf.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:34 PM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
DriVer: You can take your steel pot off now.

They didn't make it inside the wire.

Kerry
Old 04-08-2012, 02:10 PM   #37
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Meanwhile ..... back to the Masters Golf Tournamant ..... how about that Double Eagle!

"Louis Oosthuizen has jumped into the lead in the final round of the Masters with a double eagle on the second hole!"

What a shot!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:41 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Forget all this nonsense!!! BUBBA WINS!!!!
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:44 PM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yea Bubba !!!!!!!
Wizard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:27 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post
. . . To her credit the new CEO at least as far as I have heard has not weighed in on this issue. Very smart lady.
She wants to keep her job.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:29 PM   #41

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Congrats to Bubba!! Most exciting finish I've seen in recent memory.
JayGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:32 PM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
Forget all this nonsense!!! BUBBA WINS!!!!
Go you "Hairy Dawg". Yay Bubba and UGA.

Marriage is a relationship in which one is always right and the other is the husband
new2RVn is offline   Reply With Quote