Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2013, 07:53 PM   #141

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
You seem to forget that JJ won 5 consecutive seasons in a row, yet he isn't worshiped by so many.
It's actually easier to wing 5 consecutive seasons in a row than to win 5 consecutive seasons NO in a row...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
In her interview she claimed to be at 1/2 throttle all day; if this is true why wasn't she allowed to run free and show her stuff?
If you watched the race you would have seen that the bottom line wasn't working as well as the top line - if she had pulled into the bottom line she would have finished in the 20s or 30s at best, unless she could convince a number of other competitive drivers to join her, and even then it would have been a crap shoot. Quite simply the top line was working and VERY FEW drivers were able to complete passes once they caught the front pack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
...I'm hoping that James Franco just goofed today when he blasted out "drivers and Danica start your engines".
I agree - when he said "Drivers..." I thought he would leave it at that, figuring if he had wanted to specifically separate Danica he would have said "Lady and gentlemen..." but then he screwed it up.

On the other hand the guy singing the National Anthem did an outstanding job of singing the song without turning it into a personal demo tape...

Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2013, 08:07 PM   #142

Thor Owners Club
The guy singing the National Anthem does not need to make it a demo he is with The Zack Brown Band.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:44 PM   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoc View Post
firedoc, have you ever driven in a NASCAR race taking those curves at Daytona at 200 mph?

Neither have I. So, I really don't think it is right to judge someone unless you have done the same thing.

Jerry
Jdoc,
No I have never raced at Daytona but I was a professional race car driver for many years and won two national championships. She was happy to sit in the spot she was and not make a possible mistake by making a move to try and win. I think that Jr would have gone with her and she would have had a shot. But she was scared to try it. Yes, maybe more experience would change that... Just sayin!!
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:23 PM   #144

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Don't know about the cost of commercials, but FOX certainly seems to think they can air more minutes per race, perhaps this is because off all the hype about Danica. I almost pulled out my stopwatch today to check the percentage of time, race coverage vs commercials. I am sure it approached 50%. Not to mention the popup visuals that are constantly filling up the screen. I hope todays race isn't indicative of the rest of the season.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:45 PM   #145

Ford Super Duty Owner
Watched as much as i could until commercials drove me outside. And one race does not make a season. Has Danica won a race? Not that i remember anyway and yet she was the most popular drive in open wheel six years running and last year in the lower division of NASCAR. She reminds me of Jr real popular does not win much but real popular. If both of those(Danica and Jr) won races the merchandise sales would put NASCAR back in the black.
KylenCindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:30 PM   #146

1) you don't have to run full throttle in the draft
2) pulling out would have sent her straight backwards: "freight trained" look at what happened to anyone who tried to run a 3rd lane in the middle
3)her spotter mentioned the wreck and she (and the car in front of her) lifted a bit and that's why they suddenly went backwards
4) there were about 10 other guys in the top 12 that decided not to risk a 15th place finish by trying for 2nd. Johnson was gone. It's one thing to take a risk if you have a chance to win - but these guys had been testing the ability of those cars to pull off a pass ALL DAY - and it was obvious that someone in front of you had to screw up a bit to give the opportunity - they just don't have the beans to pull off a slingshot. After NASCAR screws around with setup requirements they'll be able to pass again.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:08 AM   #147

<eats crow after my prediction for DP...she ran a good race..I will give her credit on that..

Now the winner...well if he took an almost perfect car and blasted it into the grass and destroyed the frt end as JJ did....JJ would be paying for that..too many of these drivers have NO respect for the equipment or the $$ put into them....UNLESS.....JJ had instructions to destroy the frt end..kinda similar to the instructions he got a few years back about about damaging the rear? of his car because it wouldn't pass tech.
too many commericals

Chris Meyers may be good for stick and ball sports...but he needs to go on Nascar coverage..he is clueless..eliminate his salary for Nascar and we might get a few more laps of racing instead of commercials

Why does NASCAR advertise during a NASCAR race? wouldn't they have better use of advertising $$$ running commericials during football and other sports? Hell we know about NASCAR if we are watching the race
Old 02-25-2013, 12:29 AM   #148

I don't have a particular opinion about her one way or the other, she is in Sprint Cup because NASCAR needs her there as a fan draw. She is obviously capable of being in the show, although, based on last year's Nationwide results ( only 4 top 10's and no top 5's in 33 races), she will need a bit more experiance to run up front on a regular basis. We'll just have to sit back and watch.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:52 PM   #149

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
but I have to say that today's traditional "gentlemen start your engines" or "drivers start your engines" was just downright insulting. I'm hoping that James Franco just goofed today when he blasted out "drivers and Danica start your engines". She's a driver just like every other racer sitting in a car at the start of the day and to set her apart in this manner diminishes her efforts imo.
This was the FIRST thing I said as soon as i heard him say it. I think it was insulting and so did the twitter-sphere.

It appears that his intent was to honor Danica and her pole position accomplishment by calling our her name specifically - but that would have gone over better with "gentlemen" vs "drivers"

And along these same lines DW (Darrell Waltrip) changed up his green flag saying. I hate the saying anyway, but he modified it from"

Boogety, Boogety, Boogety let's go racing boys

to

Boogety, Boogety, Boogety let's just go racing

If you ask me, Gentlemen start your engines is outdated ... and should be changed to Drivers Start Your Engines.

I dislike Gentlemen and Ladies start your engine when its used. They are all drivers at the top of their field and should be treated equally.

If you watched any of the pre-race show, there was a segment with Danica where she repeated something that I have heard her say before. Her parents raised her to be the fastest *driver* NOT the fastest *female/girl*
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:55 PM   #150

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Labs View Post
This was the FIRST thing I said as soon as i heard him say it. I think it was insulting and so did the twitter-sphere.

It appears that his intent was to honor Danica and her pole position accomplishment by calling our her name specifically - but that would have gone over better with "gentlemen" vs "drivers"
I also took exception at first but then after some sober thought gave up to thinking, "Boy did he screw that up!" and left it at that. He will probably get chastised for that for a long long time. <----Announcer in question.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:09 PM   #151

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
And .. whether you like Danica and all the media attention or not, as others have said, she did a great job in the Daytona 500.

- she won the pole beating out many other previous pole and daytona 500 winners. Yes she was running with likely the best engine package in the garage, but so were at least 8 other cars. The line she ran was the best

- she kept her car in one piece during all practices and the qualifying duels. Can't say as much for Carl Edwards with 5 cars wrecked during testing, practice and speed weeks races

- she finished in the top 10 and was a threat to win with 1 lap to go. I think that it was a wise decision for her to stay in line because there was a good likelihood she would get freight trained.

- aside from the potential winners that were caught up in wrecks, look who she finished in front of: Clint Bowyer, Ricky Stenhouse Jr, Denny Hamlin, Joey Logano, Jeff Gordon, Kurt Busch ... as well as other former series champions

Certainly the true test of her abilities to "run with the pack" are coming in the races over the next few weeks. But, starting the year out at 8th place in the points, gives that team a lot of wiggle room
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:20 PM   #152

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightydid View Post
The guy singing the National Anthem does not need to make it a demo he is with The Zack Brown Band.
That doesn't seem to stop others from putting their own personal interpretation into the song...
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:44 PM   #153

I wonder what Stewart was whispering in Danicas ear... Has anyone ever seen him do that with other drivers?
Old 02-26-2013, 11:55 AM   #154

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Now the winner...well if he took an almost perfect car and blasted it into the grass and destroyed the frt end as JJ did....JJ would be paying for that..too many of these drivers have NO respect for the equipment or the $$ put into them....UNLESS.....JJ had instructions to destroy the frt end..kinda similar to the instructions he got a few years back about about damaging the rear? of his car because it wouldn't pass tec
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That car was done for the season anyway. I believe the winning car goes into the DIS museum for the next year. Although I won't rule out the prepping for post race tech inspection idea.

Glenn