Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2013, 07:54 PM   #197

Ford Super Duty Owner
Lol

KylenCindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2013, 08:26 PM   #198

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallengerRN View Post
On the lead because of all the yellows. Lol
So what!

Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:29 PM   #199

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallengerRN View Post
On the lead because of all the yellows. Lol
As were many other drivers that have been in the field for years ...
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:40 PM   #200

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think that what *I* dislike about the general public and their disdain for Danica, is that many assume it's just the money and sponsorship that she brings.

I beg to differ that it's much more than that.

Yes she's an attractive female that looks great in the commercials and sells a LOT for her sponsor, but let's not forget that without driving skills AND sponsorship $$ a driver will get nowhere in professional (or even semi-pro) motorsports ... it just takes too much money to field a car. At the end of the day, she still has driving skills that 99.99999% of us don't have.

There is SOOO much negativity around Danica, but what about Juan Pablo Montaya? He's an Indy 500 and Formula 1 Winner and has what - one NASCAR win? What about Scott Speed, he's a former Formula 1 driver and now is with a secondary (or tertiary) NASCAR team. Dario Franchitti is a 3 time Indy 500 winner, but couldn't make it in NASCAR.

At times I feel bad for Danica ....I don't know what it's like to be a trailblazer, but I am sure it's an uphill battle ... more power to her and her efforts!!

*** says the son of a single mother raising 2 boys in the 70's and 80's
Old 03-03-2013, 09:56 PM   #201

Ford Super Duty Owner
Believe Janet Guthrie was the female trail blazer in oval track racing. Racing in the Indy500 several times. No do not dislike Danica she is really pretty and sells for Go Daddy but her crew chief from Nationwide last year said was not ready for the cup and it shows. The only reason she is in cup now and not nationwide is her charm and popularity. No doubt she has talent so whats the hurry.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:02 PM   #202

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by KylenCindy View Post
Believe Janet Guthrie was the female trail blazer in oval track racing. Racing in the Indy500 several times. No do not dislike Danica she is really pretty and sells for Go Daddy but her crew chief from Nationwide last year said was not ready for the cup and it shows. The only reason she is in cup now and not nationwide is her charm and popularity. No doubt she has talent so whats the hurry.
Yes, Janet Guthrie was the first successful woman in NASCAR racing, so maybe I used the wrong term with trailblazer - but it's been many year since Janet Guthrie and Shawna Robinson in NASCAR *and* Danica has surpassed all their record breaking accomplishments already.

I don't believe that it's *just* her charm and popularity ... she has driving skills that many of us think we have AND charm and popularity - a perfect combination for a driver and sponsor!
Old 03-03-2013, 10:42 PM   #203

It's not that NASCAR is harder, more competitive, etc than any other version of motorsports - it's just very unique, and some people adapt to it, and others don't.

There's no other form of the sport that utilizes high-horsepower rear-wheel drive that also has tires the same size front and rear - this creates unique handling considerations - as does the relatively crude suspension - and aero that's subject to changes induced by other cars nearby - a wide variety of ovals that all take very different kinds of setup and compromise - all while being VERY boxed in by the rules where every advantage quickly gets legislated away.

Other forms of motorsport have one or two of those characteristics, but not all of them at once.

If they got rid of owner points and former champion slots and other overly fan-based claptrap the back 1/3 of the field would go back to saturday night short track or retirement in a hurry.

Going the other way doesn't seem to be as hard - because NASCAR guys that drive IMSA, LeMAns, touring cars, even Gordon in the F1 car, are just happy as hell to get in something that actually turns and stops.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:02 PM   #204

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDiemen23 View Post
It's not that NASCAR is harder, more competitive, etc than any other version of motorsports - it's just very unique, and some people adapt to it, and others don't.

There's no other form of the sport that utilizes high-horsepower rear-wheel drive that also has tires the same size front and rear - this creates unique handling considerations - as does the relatively crude suspension - and aero that's subject to changes induced by other cars nearby - a wide variety of ovals that all take very different kinds of setup and compromise - all while being VERY boxed in by the rules where every advantage quickly gets legislated away.

Other forms of motorsport have one or two of those characteristics, but not all of them at once.

If they got rid of owner points and former champion slots and other overly fan-based claptrap the back 1/3 of the field would go back to saturday night short track or retirement in a hurry.

Going the other way doesn't seem to be as hard - because NASCAR guys that drive IMSA, LeMAns, touring cars, even Gordon in the F1 car, are just happy as hell to get in something that actually turns and stops.
Well NASCAR has gone back to its earlier days. Gone is the top 35 rules in place of the top 36 cars making it in on time for each race, with the rest of the 43 car field making it in on provisionals and 1 past champion.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:29 AM   #205

Monaco Owners Club
We are currently staying next to a former professional race car driver. I asked him about Danica and as he put "she's driving fine, leave her alone, she's driving better than some that have been on the track for years but yes she still needs to learn some but only time will give her that, so again leave her alone she's doing fine"
Old 03-04-2013, 11:13 AM   #206

Ford Super Duty Owner
I am not a driver i am a former coach(HS basketball). I know you dont bring up the young player to top stage (varsity)until you were sure he or she had the tools to be there. Did not want the player to put more pressure on themselves and Danica will at some point do this if she does not win races. As i said before whats the hurry, get her ready for this level of competition first.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:42 AM   #207

She thinks she ready! Just ask her! Just no one will work with her! Money & big sponsor will get u a ride. Now for the performance!! Real simple. We will see.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:40 PM   #208

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
They wouldn't need a gimmick to fill the stands if the tickets didn't get so overpriced. Jim
Old 03-04-2013, 10:13 PM   #209

Quote:
Originally Posted by KylenCindy View Post
get her ready for this level of competition first.
British Formula Ford is far more cutthroat than NASCAR.

She has run 35 mph faster - with open wheels.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:18 PM   #210

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Well from my perspective, if they were using Danika as a turn the dial please attraction she succeeded. It was the first NASCAR event or for that mater car racing event on my TV in literally years, and this from an avid (at one time) stock car and drag racing fan and participant.

When the motorsports people in their wisdom made rules governing everything from engine size to toilet paper brand I just walked away. Part of the fun was actually picking a motor up at the auto wrecker and 'souping' it up to be placed in the car for the next race season.

I only bought one 'crate' motor and that was to put in a beautiful car I inherited that had a blown motor.

How in heck does a vehicle identical to the one next to it but for the decals qualify as a "STOCK" car as it is as far from stock as I am from Jay Leno.

I am now firmly in the 'who cares' crowd once again, sorry NASCAR but watching a bunch of left turners is no longer on my 'brings excitement' list.