Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #239

Winnebago Owners Club
What is with this "Sin City" business ?? Be more respectful, call it "Lost Wages".

And thanks for keeping our property taxes among the lowest anywhere.

Your Humble Servant, Kerry

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2013, 12:25 PM   #240

Quote:
Originally Posted by milasman View Post
20 pages and 200+ post and counting....Danica and NASCRAP...hmmmm
NASCRAP.. OOPS!!! NASCAR is getting really anal in the manner they treat their drivers... Hamlin getting a $25,000 fine... thats not right...I think its time for the drivers to UNIONIZE... other sports are and why not them.
Mike

Old 03-10-2013, 01:29 PM   #241

Winnebago Owners Club
Havent read all these posts , but NASCAR has become too commercialized , and it's catching up with them ..

The last event I went to was Talladega spring race in 1987 , the year Bobby Allison took the safety fences out .. Cost $20 to park my crew cab dually in the infield and twenty bux a head for admission ..

I realize that was twenty six years ago and things go up , but , many of us who were the loyal fans thru all those years have been priced out of admission .. I'll not pay the price just to say I was there ..

No offense to anyone here , cause we all have RV's , but a TV interview I saw several years back pretty well summed it up for me .. The interviewer was speaking to a thirty something female standing next to her half million dollar coach at a NASCAR event ..

Interviewer : So who is your favorite driver ??

Lady : Oh we dont come for the races , some friends told us about following the races , so we decided it was a fun idea , and several of us in our coaches go from one race to the next , we dont even watch or listen to them ..
Old 03-10-2013, 04:00 PM   #242

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackHammr' View Post
Havent read all these posts , but NASCAR has become too commercialized , and it's catching up with them ..

The last event I went to was Talladega spring race in 1987 , the year Bobby Allison took the safety fences out .. Cost $20 to park my crew cab dually in the infield and twenty bux a head for admission ..

I realize that was twenty six years ago and things go up , but , many of us who were the loyal fans thru all those years have been priced out of admission .. I'll not pay the price just to say I was there ..

No offense to anyone here , cause we all have RV's , but a TV interview I saw several years back pretty well summed it up for me .. The interviewer was speaking to a thirty something female standing next to her half million dollar coach at a NASCAR event ..

Interviewer : So who is your favorite driver ??

Lady : Oh we dont come for the races , some friends told us about following the races , so we decided it was a fun idea , and several of us in our coaches go from one race to the next , we dont even watch or listen to them ..
What would be the going rate for parking a coach in the in-field this days??
Old 03-10-2013, 04:04 PM   #243

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity00 View Post
What would be the going rate for parking a coach in the in-field this days??
Here's a motorhome-included package for Daytona that was complete with viewing platform.

Only $7200.00!
Old 03-10-2013, 04:55 PM   #244

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
Here's a motorhome-included package for Daytona that was complete with viewing platform.

Only $7200.00!
This package also includes rental of a motorhome *but* infield/trackside camping can pretty expensive at many tracks.

Obviously any trackside spots (inside or outside) will be the most expensive. I posted this in another thread about F1 Camping this year in Austin

>>>
But seriously, I think that this is just another case of race tracks and promoters not being in line with what is a reasonable cost for coming to a race for a weekend in today's economy. We would love to travel to more NASCAR races and RV camp, but some of the tracks are really just asking TOO much for 2-4 days of camping.

We're diehard NASCAR fans and watch every race - boring or not - and when they showed some of the flyover shots from this past weekends race at Dover, it was kind of sad how empty the campground were. I could see in the TV shots that the reserved lots on the track property were not full, and the camping lot at the dover mall was almost empty. From the flyover shot it looked like there were less than a couple hundred (maybe even only a hundred) RV's camping at the mall - a place that in the past was typically pretty full

I will say that we went to Pocono Raceway in June and had a "premium" RV Trackside spot that retails at $500 per race - we paid $400 for 4 days of camping. Sure it's Pocono, but it's still only a few feet from the track and we had a great time that weekend. After looking at some other tracks, Pocono is definitely one of the best RV camping deals on the circuit - "premium trackside spots" or infield spots - plus the facility and people are really great.

But look at some of these other tracks:

Charlotte Motor Speedway: 600 Terrace RV Parking - Perched above turn 2 with spots ranging from 30x60 to 40x60. These sites have 30/50amp as well as water and sewer, cable and WiFi. A season pass with 20 passes and 20 infield/pit passes per race ranges from $17,000 - $22,000.

Infield camping at Charlotte ranges from $100 - $175 per race

Michigan Speedway: They took down the stands in turn 4 and put up a "premium" RV camping site. These sites include water and electric on paved spots with picnic tables, and start at $1,600 for a race weekend and include 2 passes -with add'l passes at a cost of $250 each

Chicagoland Speedway: Gecko Ride RV camping for the 2nd race of the year (a Chase Race) - $1900.00 for the weekend, but hey it does include electric.

Daytona RV Camping: Infield from $1,000 - $3,000 with mid to high dollar sites including electric,water and maybe sewer.

I'm sure I could go on and look up the rest of the tracks ... but my real point is that I think the tracks and promoters need to look at their pricing so that it's affordable for us "regular" folk to be able to go to a race (or two or three) a year.
<<<

Austin Formula 1 USGP $!

Our spot at Pocono was GREAT and I feel a great value. Take a look at how close we were to the action

2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:00 AM   #245

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I just joined the Jeff Gordon fan club. He sure does funny commercials for Pepsi-Max.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:16 AM   #246

4 or so yeas ago..the local track here in STL ran trucks and busch cars(nationwide now)...they wrote NASCAR a $1 mil check each Jan to have those 2 races...so can you imagine now with inflation and if the track adds a Cup race...what they would owe NASCAR to have such an event? Don't get me wrong..I will never go in my RV and spend time there due to the cost...but the tracks do have to recoop their expenses somehow.
I checked at Kansas last year for their fall race....$600 but had to have season tickets to even be considered for an RV spot....no elec, no water, no sewer, no pets, no pit vehicles, once you were in, you had to stay to the end..no coming in/going out..I'll stick with TV and if I want live racing pro style..I'll go NHRA.....or local dirt for non pro racing
Old 03-18-2013, 12:12 PM   #247

Well, come on now, she's a pretty good shoe. She was only 5 laps down at Bristol!

Cheers,

George
Old 11-19-2013, 03:01 PM   #248

Reviving this old threat to insert a link to the latest on Danica and her NASCAR future: Danica Patrick rookie season provided more fodder who those who think she isn't Sprint Cup ready - NASCAR News | FOX Sports on MSN
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:10 PM   #249

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
After reading that diatribe I would thin the guy has a hate on for Danica.

I do agree with the valid stuff and just wich the rest of the sports media picked up on it too; the valid stuff I mean.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:11 PM   #250

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would say that for a rookie, she had a pretty respectable year. A pole at Daytona, a great run at Martinsville for her first time there, and a few other decent runs throughout the year.

She finished 27th in the points, ahead of David Ragan who had a win this year. Her 5 DNF's certainly hurt her chances at finishing better in the points.

Is she overmarketed and hyped - sure - but so IS Dale Jr. - and if you watched the entire season, as we do, you would notice that they hype started falling off before 1/2 way through the season.

It will be interesting to see what next season brings - with a year under her belt, and 3 exceptional drivers as teammates. Hopefully the team will start putting some better cars under her - cars that are more to her liking and driving style.

When you think about the season as a whole, Stewart-Hass had a very off year. Yes Tony was out most of the season due to an injury, but aside from his Brickyard win, Ryan Newman did not run that well. He finished 11th in points, 133 behind the JJ and also had 5 DNF's.

And then there's Mark Martin. That guy can drive a race car and his races in the #14 (subbing for Tony) were dismal at best. He's run, and won in Hendrick equipment before and drove the wheels off of the #55 for MWR. But even Mark couldn't help to keep the #14 as a contender.

2014 could be a great, or a terrible year for Stewart-Haas and their drivers. Tony getting back in the car (hopefully), two new teammates and one completely new race team. They're certainly going to be under the gun and if they have as much trouble with fielding 4 cars as they *appear* to have fielding 3 cars this year, they could be in trouble.
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:33 PM   #251

I think she did great considering how hard it is to qualify in the Sprint Cup field much less race. Hype doesn't give you talent when in the car by yourself and in the middle of 43 cars racing.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:46 PM   #252

First, you've got to have a car and team capable of consistent top 5 to have a great season, She doesn't. Can't blame her driving for the car.