Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-13-2012, 11:34 AM   #15
another that has not been passed down is that a man does not eat with his hat on we were at a church supper last night and a guest was in the church and did not even remove his hat when GRACE was said my father would have tanned my hide if i had done that there just seems to be a general lack of respect

boweavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2012, 11:36 AM   #16
I, too, often find myself critical of young people's behavior. But then I remember my great grandfather used to complain about the same thing. Grandpa (WW I) and Dad (WW II) used to return from their visits to VA (they rode together) complaining about poor manners of younger vets. My son, the Colonel, talks about how difficult young soldiers can be. I just scanned a Ladies Home Journal from 1906 with an article about how ill mannered youth were. There seems to be a pattern here. Do we all get negative and grouchy as we age and lash out at younger folks? I am as guilty as the next, but I think I too will start trying to see the good.

jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:04 PM   #17
Winnebago Owners Club
Don't blame it all on the kids. We as adults and parents, in general, have not held up the teachings and examples as our parents did for us perhaps. I was raised without TV. Many of us didn't have a vehicle of my own. My Mother was a stay-at-home wife/Mother. I didn't have a job in town away from home and there are many many more things to mention.
Today Dad works, Mom works and teen age kids are on their own often with nothing responsible to do. When we (Mom & Dad) are home, we are tired and want to eat, watch tv and sleep.
Thank God for not only my good kids but for yours too. I have no regrets for taking time for my kids and trying to teach them to exercise good manners and responsibilities.
I think mine have turned out quite well and I am proud.
Me & my Hun RVing for fun!
Bo Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:26 PM   #18
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It is amazing the looks I get when I hold a door. You would think no one has done it for them. I gain a sence of satisfaction just being polite. My step son always holds the door and I make it a point to put my arm around him and tell him how proud I am of him.

I loose respect for teenagers who have to rush in front of you and then let the door slap shut behind them. I guess they are to accustom to automatic doors.

Many of us still raise our children the way we were raised but many don't make the effort. It is ashame.
2010 Damon Daybreak 3204 Sport, bunkhouse with Jeep Wrangler toad.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:41 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
People at too busy and centered in their own lives to bother with anyone else.They have become to attached to the electronics to bother with personal interaction.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:33 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by alba07
I agree with the OP that times have changed, but that's what nature intended for all of us - everything must change. How we perceive change can affect the quality of our lives. So, to the OP - try to find what is good about people and enjoy what is left of your changing life.
You hit the nail on the head. There is no way I am going to let someone's rudeness or lack of manners ruin my day. Just keep living by the golden rule so you can continue to feel good about yourself and be happy.
40 FT--330HP CAT
2 SLIDES-TOAD 2012 focus
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:45 PM   #21
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I met a doctor from the state of Georgia last month. He was surprised when riding on a city transit bus he heard the bus riders saying "thank you" to the driver as they get off the bus.
I told him that is common and I even have jr hi students say thank you as I dropped them off at school.
2010 Coachmen Freelander 30QB E450 V10
Have Kids Will Travel
Aguyfromcalg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:29 PM   #22
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
pretty much wont lend my pickup to ANYONE, except a very few close friends ....reason being
is that most simply dont bring things back like they received them, like fuel level, clean and without added scratches or dings

we look out for the ones around us that may not be able to cut the grass or grocery shop...
USN Retired, Life time member of the DAV.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, no your eyes are fine, there are 6 slides
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:36 PM   #23
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
People at too busy and centered in their own lives to bother with anyone else.They have become to attached to the electronics to bother with personal interaction.

It amazes me that you can go to a restaurant and see whole families sitting at the table playing or texting on their phones. No one talks anymore. Even today, Mother's Day, while having breakfast the family to my right were busily texting away. Including Mom! Now I'm a techy by trade, but this boy don't text, and he sure wouldn't in a restaurant! I just don't get it.
Burns & Diane
2005 Winnebago Aspect 26A/2012 Subaru Impreza toad
Illinois! - Where the politicians make the license plates......
baraff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:38 PM   #24
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
And if it is a child that holds the door open, one of us will say, "Thank you very much. That was very nice of you."

Give me hope.
Had a young man hold the door open for me today at a store AND say "Happy Mothers Day" I said "thank you so much" and his grandfather held the other door for me. I said "Thank You and that is a very nice grandson you have there". He just beamed at me.
2006 Itasca Meridian 36GSE
2006 Rubicon
Tom & Terri with Chip, Mollie and Honey (pups)
WhenIm64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:40 PM   #25
What happened to the days when families sat down for dinner at the kitchen table with out the black and white tv on, if it was working and discuss the days events ie.. at school, work or just general news. We, my two brothers and i were raised to be polite and hold doors open for people, its automatic for us don't even think about it.
Now days its i have to get everything done by yesterday or beat the next door neighbor, everything is a race.
Scott Stielow IC1(SW) USN Retired
Scotty14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:58 PM   #26
Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Now that my wife is in a wheel chair I find most people will give you a hand but not always. As said I always say thank you and if it is a young person I add and thank your Mother for teaching you respect and manners. Usually get a smile in return.

Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:54 AM   #27
National RV Owners Club
I suspect that there has always been a segment of the population that has lacked the manners that are being spoken off. The real question is whether or not that segment is growing.
It has been my experience, that young people more often than not display the characteristics that they have been taught by their parents. The real difference in my mind is that the parents of today are occupied much more than in the past. You have 2 parents working, TV's, computers and cell phones occupying disproportionate amounts of time for both parents and young people. A decided lack of time spent interacting in the "real world" with live people which usually starts with "family" time. In short, I believe that we spend as a society so much time on activities which don't involve real interaction, that we as a whole have gotten out of practise. A problem which becomes more pronounced with each successive generation. It isn't the total answer, but it is certainly part of it. I"m convinced that some day this veil of technology that we cover ourselves with will fail and then we will have legions of people who are going to have learn all over again the art of dealing with other people.
1999 - National Tropi Cal
sirpurrcival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:21 AM   #28
Monaco Owners Club
I was taught manners by my parents, who both set a very good example for me to follow. My Dad years ago was in the hospital, very sick and was in a ward with 2 other fellows. The one gent. was in his 80's and I noticed he never had many visitors. The one day I stopped and said hello and struck up a conversation with him and he broke down and started to cry. I asked if I said something that upset him and he said no. It is just so nice that someone cares enough to stop and talk to me. From that day on I have tried to be there for alot of older people because alot of them are forgotten, or their families just don't take time for them. Both my parent's are gone now but I got to spend some quality time with them. I worked with alot of rough and tumble people over the years and they would laugh and say Nice Guys Finish Last. Not in my world!

Dennis & Marcie & Hook The Jack Russell, 2001 HR Imperial 38wds 350 Cummins, 07 Chevy Trailblazer/Blue Ox/Ready Brake, 04 Dodge 3500 Cummins,
slickest1 is offline   Reply With Quote