Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2005, 02:41 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
You know how you always hear or read about something happening to someone, like having a wreck or their house getting broke into and things like that. Most of us say it happens to the other guy. Well I'm the other guy. Our house was broken into yesterday afternoon. The THEIVES took both of our satellite receivers, both of our VCR's, DVD player, and all the remotes that go with them,some of Janell's costume jewelry, a set of antique silverware, and some other stuff.
The one thing that I have been putting off doing is writing down serial numbers on all of our electronic equipment. I am writing this to encourage each and every one of you to do this. It will help the law enforcement agency involved to recover your property.
Yes we have insurance, so some of the things can be replaced, but that doesn't help how you feel when you know your home, the one place you can be at and feel safe, has been invaded by strangers. It is very hard for me to describe how we feel right now. I guess you can say we feel helpless and yes scared. It makes you not to want to not ever leave your home again, but we know that we can't become hermits either.
So, please folks learn a leason from "The Other Guy."
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2005, 02:41 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You know how you always hear or read about something happening to someone, like having a wreck or their house getting broke into and things like that. Most of us say it happens to the other guy. Well I'm the other guy. Our house was broken into yesterday afternoon. The THEIVES took both of our satellite receivers, both of our VCR's, DVD player, and all the remotes that go with them,some of Janell's costume jewelry, a set of antique silverware, and some other stuff.
The one thing that I have been putting off doing is writing down serial numbers on all of our electronic equipment. I am writing this to encourage each and every one of you to do this. It will help the law enforcement agency involved to recover your property.
Yes we have insurance, so some of the things can be replaced, but that doesn't help how you feel when you know your home, the one place you can be at and feel safe, has been invaded by strangers. It is very hard for me to describe how we feel right now. I guess you can say we feel helpless and yes scared. It makes you not to want to not ever leave your home again, but we know that we can't become hermits either.
So, please folks learn a leason from "The Other Guy."
Old 11-30-2005, 03:19 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Jerry, I'm sorry to hear about your losses. The accompanying feeling of being violated does make the situation that much worse.

I worked with burglar alarms for a while. When I did, 80% of the people buying them had been robbed first so you are not alone in putting off dealing with this kind of a situation.

In addition to taking the serial numbers of everything, I was advised to take photos and even a video tape, too. Besides proving your possession of an item, it can help you to remember all of the things that placed in a given area. Often, during the emotional roller coaster that follows a break in, it is easy to overlook one or more of the items that were stolen and not even list them on the police report. I was advised that the easiest way to make the photo records was to take a room at a time over several days. I had all of this at our old house but have put off doing this after we moved to the new place. At your suggestion, I'll get busy with that task now. I do have all of the model and serial numbers recorded and stored in several places in case they take our computer, too.

Again, I'm sorry about your situation and wish you the best as you work through it.

Charlie
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 03:23 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Jerry,

We're really sorry to hear of your situation. Did the burglary happen while y'all were in Fredericksburg or after you got home?

It's a heck of a situation when people think nothing of ripping off stuff we've worked for - it's like they think they're entitled to it or something. I hope your insurance covers most everything you lost, but that feeling of having been violated (yes, it happened to us many years ago) doesn't go away quickly.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 03:42 AM   #5

My home was broken into several years ago, and the robbers got electronic equipment - TVs, VCRs, etc. Then they came back a second time and got the rest of the electronics that they didn't get the first time. All of this was in the daytime while I was working. I then had an electronic surveillance system installed, and would you believe, the robbers came back a third time and when the alarm went off, they left empty handed.
I had serial numbers and models of my electronics. Nothing was ever recovered. But having the model nos. enable me to take my list to Tweeter, who worked with the insurance company, and I got new equivalent equipment. Tweeter often works with insurance companies and the local people were a joy to work with.
Good luck with getting new equipment.
Annie K and Sparky the long-haired chihuahua
03 Journey DL 36LD
04 Saturn L300
Blue Ox and Brake Buddy
Doggievet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 01:59 PM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Rusty, this happened after we got back. Janell had a beauty shop appointment yesterday afternoon and I had a dental appointment. This occured between 1:00 and 5:00 pm yesterday.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:03 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Jerry -

When Rusty told me about the break in, the first thing I thought of is how we felt when it happened to us. You describe it perfectly - violated. You are right -the place you feel the safest has been torn through by thieves. You can buy more stuff, but how do you get back the most valuable thing of all...your peace of mind.

your feelings of helplessness will pass, but it will take time and effort to feel comfortable again in your own home. Or even feel safe to leave.

Your suggestions are valid - it's a lesson we all need to learn how to protect ourselves (and our possessions). It's a shame that what we work so hard for, take pride in and take care of is taken by those who won't/don't work, who have no pride in themselves and will certainly not take care of it.

Most importantly, We're thankful that ya'll weren't home! Things can be replaced, but at least you don't have to deal with the ordeal of being there or walking in on them while they were there. The scene could have been much different.

Rusty and I know how you feel and our thoughts are with ya'll as you work your way through the anquish - not for the possessions, but for the peace of mind that you need back intact!

Sandy

Just a thought that passed through my mind...could this have anything to do with the guys you caught last week stealing your wood? Could they have come back?
National Rally Wagonmaster
Life is sweet when the TEXAS BOOMERS meet!
Madame Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 06:21 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jerry, so sorry to hear about the "violation" of your space. I have zero tolerance for anyone that steals, no matter how small of an item. It is still stealing.

At least, be thankful that all they took were a few material things and neither of you were harmed.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 02:13 AM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would like to thank everyone for their support for us during this trying time in our lives.
We got the new STEEL door installed last night. I think it may be a while before both of us feel like we can be gone from the house at the same time again.
I have to go see the detective in charge of the case at the Sheriff's Office today. I will know more then, and I will keep ya'll updated on the progress we are making.
We are waiting on a form from our insurance company that we have to fill out to get the ball rolling with them.
Once again thanks everyone for your support.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:07 AM   #10

Sorry to hear about your loss, it really hurts and makes you wish you could get the ones who did it in the cross hairs of of a 308.

I lived in San Diego for years, had burgler bars and an alarm system on my house, was never hit but many on my block were, several more than once.

The cost of an alarm system is trival compaired to the piece of mind it provides. If you decide to have one installed, do not put the signs out front saying you have one as a good burgler will know how to defeat a home alarm system and will if he knows it is there.

My friend used to run a home business, had his office in his basement. Had a 500 pound safe sitting near his desk that had nothing in it. He bought it at a yard sale and was going to get the combo changed by a locksmith, was locked but empty.

While away on vacation burglers broke into his house and the only thing they took was that safe. Bet they were upset when they finally got it open to find it empty.

Terry
Alarmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 11:09 AM   #11

I have been that "other guy" too!

I have some Dish Network satellite receivers I will be glad to send you. Don't need them anymore. Have remotes with them too!
Jumbo Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 11:29 AM   #12

I'm so very sory for your loss.I guess i'm lucky so far.I got a gas stolen from a few vehicles--one car they cut the wires and line---jumped it all out -emptied the tank that had a locked cap- I thought that was brazen-but my neighbors can tell when I am gone-MH or the Saturn gone--perfect time to strike.I have even had firewood stolen from the back yard--
I hope things are found and you feel some what safer
Old 12-07-2005, 02:21 AM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A little good news. Two bad guys and one bad woman have been arrested. So far we have gotten back the 2 satellite receivers, minus the remote controls, but that is a start. We really hope they find the rest of our stuff, but there is probably little chance of that. The one thing we really would like to get back though is Janell's antique silverware. It is worth a lot of money, but the sentimental value is worth more than money. The set can never be replaced.
As usual everyone here has been so supportive and we it appreciate so much.
Thanks again, and we will keep ya'll updated as things occur.
Jerry and Janell