Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2008, 05:49 PM   #15

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stevegeorgetown:
A short leash will not help. A retractable leash gives the dog owner some reaction time if the dog bolts.

If a dog bolts while on a short leash there is a greater chance of the leash coming out of the dog owners hands.

Steve </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

According to the trainers certified by the American Kennel Association the short leash provides the best control while the retractible can give a dog too much time to build up momentum and get away. This was repeated many times and the trainers at all AKA classes that I have attended were all unanimous on this one. That is why the retractibles are not allowed in many places, they do not provide enough control of the animal in an emergency.

I walk my Akita regularly and the loop of the five foot leash is always around my wrist not loose in my hand. In a crowd the leash is wrapped around my wrist and shortened to two feet or less. In a situation it gets shorter still. The dog will not get away period.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2008, 06:34 PM   #16

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I walk my Akita regularly and the loop of the five foot leash is always around my wrist not loose in my hand. In a crowd the leash is wrapped around my wrist and shortened to two feet or less. In a situation it gets shorter still. The dog will not get away period. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I pass by a number of responsible owners like you, Neil. I've seen them take the dog off of the bike path, turn and stop and dog drops immediately to sitting position, watching their owner as they are supposed to do. I can spot owners in control a long ways away.

Today, on my ride, I had another scare. A dog about the size and coloring of Skid Boot came loping towards me, picking up speed as he got closer. There were two women walking from the direction that he had come. I was off my bike and had put it between the dog and I when they showed up. Before I could say anything, they told me that it wasn't their dog and that it had just followed them. It continued to follow them and a little while later on my return trip, they were waiting near the street with a police cruiser for the animal control officer to arrive. The dog was nearly hit by a car. It had tags,including a valid rabies and animal control was going to try to get it back to its owner. It seemed friendly enough but you just never know. We've had a number of cases of rabies locally as a result of dogs messing with skunks.

Maybe it is my personal observation but I have yet to see a well controlled dog on a retractable leash. For the small breeds, I can see how a retractable is probably an OK option. For any dog larger than 45lbs, IMHO, a much closer reach than 30ft is required. My Town agrees with me because the leash ordnance says 6 feet. Like my run in with the Doberman, a lot can happen in a very short time span with a large dog.

chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 08:17 PM   #17

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chasfm11:
For the small breeds, I can see how a retractable is probably an OK option. For any dog larger than 45lbs, IMHO, a much closer reach than 30ft is required. My Town agrees with me because the leash ordnance says 6 feet. Like my run in with the Doberman, a lot can happen in a very short time span with a large dog. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

An accidental bump from a full grown Akita can get you snagged by their fangs which stick out at a 20 to 30 degree angle from the verticle. With a 1,200 lb bite which is far worse than a Pitbull or Dobie I try to be a little more proactive in preventing contact. You can still in a heartbeat get snagged and then spend several hours in the emergency room even from non-violent contact or get you lights put out by bumping heads when dealing with a large animal like this in close quarters. I have to keep reminding associates who get too comfortable around the Akita that they are Bear and Elk Hunting dogs and in a clumbsy moment can hurt you very badly. In a viscious attack you are talking about hundreds of stitches and cosmetic surgery or potentialy much worse.

If my children take the dog out I know that they will be very well protected but still watch that they return the dog if their friends join them.

In a crowd with children especially you need to be on guard and keep them (dogs) close and in check. No accidental contact allowed.

Socialize with supervision but no free roaming or long loose leashes when in public. Even if it is not the law it is just good sense and common courtesy to those around you.

It is good to hear that you are getting out and being cautious I just hope that you will be able to get to a somewhat more normal routine that does not have dogs jumping unrestrained across your path so regularly. I hope that you are able to maintain a steady/safe heartrate and such when these events happen.

Please stay safe and healthy while you work through this.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:09 AM   #18
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">...common courtesy to those around you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is part of what's wrong with our society today. Courtesy (& respect for that matter) have gone out the window. It's all about "me" & "my rights" over anyone else as well as ignorance of the law. Many folks don't understand that their rights stop when they negatively impact someone else. It is both sad & unfortunate that our culture has degraded to such extent that morals & principles are thrown aside for individual liberties.

Ok, I'm climbing down from my soapbox now.

L-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:27 AM   #19

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">... Many folks don't understand that their rights stop when they negatively impact someone else. It is both sad & unfortunate that our culture has degraded to such extent that morals & principles are thrown aside for individual liberties. ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
people are negatively impacted every day and NO the other guy's rights do not stop, there are responsibilities at play, but the rights are still there, and rightfully so

i am very sympathetic to both sides of this sidewalk encounter
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:07 AM   #20

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Lori, I'm inclined to agree with FatDog about this being a responsibilities issue. As a bike rider, using public space, I have the responsibility to act in a safe manner. There are many parts of my ride where, in the absence of others, I'm moving between 18-22mph. That is just way too fast for me to be riding if others are present. I cannot safely operate my bike and respond to sudden movements by others who may not have even known that I was coming. Though it is a designated bike path, with properly posted signs to that effect, it is my responsibility to avoid running into others, no matter what stupid things they do in front of me. My only fall in three years was while trying to avoid a lady walking a dog and talking on her cell phone. I could have hit her but elected to run off the bike path when she and her dog suddenly took up the whole path less than a few feet in front of me. I couldn't negotiate the large drop off on the side with so little time to react. Fortunately for me, I had slowed to about 5mph when I saw her ahead. I believe that she also had the responsibility not to allow her cell phone conversation to obscure her awareness of those around her but we all know how that is.

It is my belief that dog owners using the bike path have no less responsibilities than I do.
They are responsible not to cause damage to others through their dog. A large dog who jumps on a child has caused damage, even if it isn't physically apparent. In every case, I judge the actions of the dog to be an extension of the actions of the owner. If the owner cannot keep the dog acting in a safe manner, they have the responsibility not to be there. I haven't brought it up before but that safety includes picking up after their pet. I can assure you that only a very small percentage do that. The bike path is a veritable mine field all the time. I often have to ride on the surrounding areas to avoid it. You have no idea how much fun it is to ride through a "fresh deposit" on a mountain bike with out fenders. Obviously, I'm trying to avoid that at all costs short of physical injury to someone.

Denial of those responsibilities is what this thread was intended to be about.

chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote