Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2012, 03:59 PM   #29

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not one call so far, but I'm registered to vote in a very small town.

Used to get 'em all the time..

As I understand it political calls are now exempt from Title 47 rules.. (However I have not read that on any official document)

Read US code, Title 47, Section 227 for more information on what I am talking about.

I would love to see a few politicians hassled by Title 47 suits.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2012, 04:23 PM   #30

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
Ok, this is rich. I got a political call for a Tempe, AZ politician. I looked up the guy's email addy and sent him this:

"If you truly cared about your constituency, you would honor the Federal Do Not Call List even though you are legally exempt. There is a reason people are on that list. Since you obviously haven't figured it out, it's because we do not want to be disturbed! I pay to have a phone line at my home for my own personal use, not for the use of inconsiderate politicians. My number is xxx-xxx-xxxx. Make sure I never, ever get another call from your compaign! Your selfish inconsiderateness has already cost you my vote."

A short while later, the politician called me in response to my email to apologize and try to explain he didn't make the call. I read him the riot act and hung up. A minute later, he sent the these two emails (the first one was probably canned):

"Thank you so much for your email. The phone call you received was neither paid for nor authorized by my campaign. The call came from a third party independent expenditure group which I was completely unaware of. I have since gotten several angry calls from residents and I am taking some time to explain the situation to each one. My campaign deliberately doesn't do robo calls because we know how annoying and invasive they are. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you. I am currently investigating who made the calls so I can inform them to cease and desist.

Once again, I really appreciate you letting me know about this."

Followed by this one:

"I am sorry if my personal phone call bothered you. It is just my way to try to apologize to people in person as opposed to over email. Once I can find out who is doing the calls I will have them stopped. I'm just at a complete and total loss as to who is doing them. Once again though, I apologize for the inconvenience that the call caused."

I sent the guy this response:

"What on Earth did you expect? I sent you an email telling you not to ever call my number again because I didn't want to be disturbed so you went ahead and called me anyway when you could have emailed the reply? If you are unable to figure that out, then I do not feel you are qualified to hold public office. Had you emailed me in the first place, I might have reconsidered but now, the damage has been done."

Would you believe the moron actually sent me the same canned email again? In response to my original eamail? Yeesh!

Old 02-25-2012, 04:33 PM   #31

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Not one call so far, but I'm registered to vote in a very small town.

Used to get 'em all the time..

As I understand it political calls are now exempt from Title 47 rules.. (However I have not read that on any official document)

Read US code, Title 47, Section 227 for more information on what I am talking about.

I would love to see a few politicians hassled by Title 47 suits.
Title 47 covers solicitations for goods and services. Political and survey calls skirt that so are essentially exempt. Unless one could wrangle a jury trial, a law suit wouldn't go for since judges are either elected or are political appointees. Even a jury trial would be iffy.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:29 PM   #32

iRV2 No Limits Club
These politicians are pathetic. Another one I emailed just emailed me back, claiming the phone call was justified because it was just a poll and other politicians are doing it. Sounded like a child whining, "But everyone is doing it!" Good grief!

I'm going to be looking into wireless phone equipment that can be connected to a cell phone and inexpensive cell phone plans this weekend so I'll be ready if I decide to pull the plug.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:26 PM   #33

We dumped the land line because: $26.00 a month(no long distance) / $3.65 per gal. = 7.123 gallons X 8 mpg gets us 56.986 miles further down the road each month. No unwanted calls = priceless. Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:26 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LadyFitz----that sure sounded like a sincere apology
Old 02-25-2012, 07:30 PM   #35

Ooma phone $3.57/month.

Do Not call list.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:22 PM   #36

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finhawk View Post
LadyFitz----that sure sounded like a sincere apology
If you are talking about the one whose emails I quoted, I'm sure he felt he was sincere. But that doesn't change the fact he was so thoughtless or flat clueless he CALLED me to respond to an EMAIL in which I told him to NEVER CALL ME AGAIN when he could have responded to my email with an email. We do not need stupid people like that in government.

The other politician who responded to my email telling him to never call me again was a rationalizing, arrogant, sarcastic, selfish "person" and is another one we do not need in government.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:28 PM   #37

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
Ooma phone $3.57/month.

Do Not call list.
Thanks for the suggestion but I'm not interested in a VOIP service.

Politicians and survey companies are exempt from the Do Not Call List.

I rarely use the telephone. I might use one half an hour a month for two or three months, then suddenly use up two or three hours in a month.

I use my cell phone even less. I keep it turned off in my purse until I actually need it or I'm expecting a call (which is rarely). I have a Virgin Mobile prepaid plan I like. It's 18 cents a minute. I'm required to top up my account by a minimum of$20 every three months or less. I have it set up to automatically top off my account by $20 from my debit account whenever the balance drops below $5 or every three months, whichever comes first. The three month clock starts from the time of the last top up. With service charges, that averages roughly $7.50/mo. To give you an idea of how little I use the phone, I have a balance of $105 and the next top up is in early April. I've had the account about five years now. The phone is an old Oystr that will barely last all day in standby and needs recharging after an hour or so of use. The only downside is Virgin Mobile has a limited service area.

I need a plan like the one I have because of my ADD. Keeping track of minutes myself is something I would not be able to deal with.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:51 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm in California and when you register to vote there is a place on the form for your phone number.
Think about it...why would the election department need to call you?

I did a lot of research with the Monterey County election department and by law all politicians can call you on that number. Also they can give that number to any organization they want to give it to.
They are supposed to provide you with a list of who they gave the number to and I requested a list those numbers.
After two months of excuses from them I gave up.

Lesson learned:
Never give your phone number to any government organization unless necessary.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:21 AM   #39

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I'm in California and when you register to vote there is a place on the form for your phone number.
Think about it...why would the election department need to call you?

I did a lot of research with the Monterey County election department and by law all politicians can call you on that number. Also they can give that number to any organization they want to give it to.
They are supposed to provide you with a list of who they gave the number to and I requested a list those numbers.
After two months of excuses from them I gave up.

Lesson learned:
Never give your phone number to any government organization unless necessary.
I rarely give out my number, period, and especially on my voter registration (the jerk politician that claimed today his survey company got my number from my voter registration was either lying or just stupid). If a business seems to think they absolutely have to have my phone number for me to be able to business with them and I do not feel they need to, I give them my phone number with the prefix replaced with 555. That number will connect them (or to whomever they may have sold the number) with directory assistance. That way, they don't get my real number and some poor schmo doesn't get stuck with the call.

Most, if not all, of the political calls I'm getting are probably from random dialers calling within certain area codes and prefixes. My phone number has a Tempe specific area code and prefix. If I had moved to Tempe from Phoenix and had kept my old Phoenix phone number, I would be getting calls from Phoenix politicians (or their survey companies).
Old 02-26-2012, 08:59 AM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It would be great to be able to forward these robo calls to the number for each politician's office. (probably can't get their home or cell numbers). Start a phone denial-of service attack on them, maybe they'd get a clue!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:47 AM   #41

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
I rarely give out my number, period, and especially on my voter registration (the jerk politician that claimed today his survey company got my number from my voter registration was either lying or just stupid). If a business seems to think they absolutely have to have my phone number for me to be able to business with them and I do not feel they need to, I give them my phone number with the prefix replaced with 555. That number will connect them (or to whomever they may have sold the number) with directory assistance. That way, they don't get my real number and some poor schmo doesn't get stuck with the call.

Most, if not all, of the political calls I'm getting are probably from random dialers calling within certain area codes and prefixes. My phone number has a Tempe specific area code and prefix. If I had moved to Tempe from Phoenix and had kept my old Phoenix phone number, I would be getting calls from Phoenix politicians (or their survey companies).
The 480 area code is NOT specific to Tempe. I live in Mesa and have a 620 number from my former location. I don't have a land line any more and have only had a couple unwanted calls since I registered in DNC when ever it started.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:33 PM   #42

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
...Most, if not all, of the political calls I'm getting are probably from random dialers calling within certain area codes and prefixes. My phone number has a Tempe specific area code and prefix. If I had moved to Tempe from Phoenix and had kept my old Phoenix phone number, I would be getting calls from Phoenix politicians (or their survey companies).
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamguy View Post
The 480 area code is NOT specific to Tempe. I live in Mesa and have a 620 number from my former location. I don't have a land line any more and have only had a couple unwanted calls since I registered in DNC when ever it started.
Please reread my post. 480 covers several cities, like Tempe, Scottsdale, Mesa, Chandler, etc. It's the prefixes (the three numbers after the area code) along with the 480 area code that can make a phone number Tempe specific. I've also been referring to my landline (see my first post).

Cell phones, etc. are excluded from law from being called by robo-callers which is why you aren't getting many unwanted calls (almost all political calls are robo-calls). My cell phone has had only one unwanted caller. Also, since cell phones are portable and are not charged extra for long distance, area codes different from the physical location of the customer are not unusual. My cell phone has a 602 area code and I bought it in Tempe where I live. I have a friend who lives in Scottsdale and her cell phone has a New York area code.