Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2012, 12:53 PM   #1

iRV2 No Limits Club
The Political Calls have Started!

Has anyone else been getting bombarded by calls from politicians and survery companies? I'm about ready to yank my land line.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2012, 01:17 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
We got tired of all the "non profit" and political stuff so we turned off the ringer on both the land line handsets and base unit, also turned off the volume on the speaker so we don't even hear the message.

If the TV is on DirecTv shows who's calling, or we see the flashing light if someone leaves a message. Friends have been informed to call our cell phones. For some reason DW wants to keep land line, can't figure why, we don't even fax any more, much easier to scan to .pdf and email.
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:59 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
We got rid of the land line two years ago for that reason. There are aps for smart phones that will send a call direct to voice mail if the caller is not in your contact list. I have one on my Droid, it works very well.
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:59 PM   #4

we did away with our landline years ago for much the same reason. sad thing is though, you'll start getting the telemarketers and polls on you cell too unless you put yourself on that 'don't call list'
papachaz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:10 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
We got rid of our landline years ago, and both have cell phones. So far, have not had any political calls. My feeling is"don't call me, I'll call you".
ghoststories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:32 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We only have cell phones and I got my first sales call yesterday. If I start getting more I will register them on the do not call list. Otherwise, we have not had any problems.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:38 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Land Line and Horsedrawn Carriages

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
Has anyone else been getting bombarded by calls from politicians and survery companies? I'm about ready to yank my land line.
DW and I decided that we were spending $900/yr to make ourselves available to telemarketers.

When we quit the landline, nothing changed: all our friends already were using our cell phones.

Yes. There was one difference: that pesky $75 per month expense vanished.

Just saying...
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:40 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I got a survey call today, and one yesterday, both on my cel. Also have had several text messages. All ignored.
I thought cel phones were imune to this?
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:24 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: KM Parks in Western Washington and Yuma,Az for the Winter
So far, so good. I've had only a cell for 8 years and only one telemarketer during that time
Old 02-23-2012, 05:30 AM   #10

The Do Not Call list works but not well. With the caller ID spoofing the less than honorable companies use, you can't file a complaint because you really don't know where the call came from. They even spoof them to look like a local call you will likely answer.

If you haven't received calls from Rachel at card member services you will.
born2travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:09 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We both got a text yesterday telling us they could lower our mortgage. We don't have a mortgage so I would love to hear how they can do that

The text did say to text back "stop" to end contacts. I sent it, DW did not so we will see how that works.

These messages are rare and we don't ever go over our amounts so for now we too will just ignore it.

At the sticks and bricks house we do keep the land line because it is really cheap and I guess I can't let go since I worked on them for a long time. For the few annoying telemarketers and stuff, I tell them they need to speak to Mr. Floor. Then put the phone on the floor and that is who they can talk to. I don't have to listen to them and it wastes their time
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:10 AM   #12

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by born2travel View Post
The Do Not Call list works but not well. With the caller ID spoofing the less than honorable companies use, you can't file a complaint because you really don't know where the call came from. They even spoof them to look like a local call you will likely answer.

If you haven't received calls from Rachel at card member services you will.
Card Services is one outfit I would love to track down. I havene't been hit by them as hard as some people have but they hit me roughly once every three months. One thing one of their phone jockeys let slip was more than one company uses that name.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:02 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
The political ads are not bound by the Do Not Call list. Neither are fund raisers. Both can still legally call you if you are on the Do Not Call list.

About 12 yrs ago we had just gotten rid of the land line and the 3 of us had cells. Me, my husband and our (then) 15 yr old son. When sitting at the house on a Saturday morning the son's phone started ringing. He looked at and decided he was not going to answer it. We asked why, he said that he did not recongize not just the phone number but the area code was not one he knew. We, as parents, decided to call back the number for him. Turns out it was a politcal call from Miami. We then informed them that not only is the number on the Do Not Call list but it is also a number for a 15 yr old so no matter what they say it will not help them. They took the number off for calling, lol.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:15 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Not one call
zip0 is offline   Reply With Quote