Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2016, 03:05 PM   #1

Angry The problems and possible cure for the RV Industry.

I think that is one of the biggest problems today with the RV industry. People just accept the way things are, like the old adage “because we’ve always done it this way!” We wouldn’t accept this if it was our car, toaster, washer and dryer or other item we bought.

Let’s say you found you’re perfect car. You shop around and find the best price in another town. When you inspect it you find some defects. Your dealer corrects all of them, you purchase the vehicle, and drive away with a big grin! The next few months and many miles are trouble free.

You decide to go on a road trip across the country. You get about a thousand or more miles from home when the AC quits working or some other problem. You find the nearest dealer, and they tell you they can’t fit it in for a few months because they have so many other cars from the same manufactures with the same problem. You drive it with no AC until you get back home.

When you get home you go to your local dealer (but not the one you bought it from). The dealer tells you that will they will not work on it because you didn’t buy it from them! You call other dealers and they either tell you the same thing or are too busy or want you to pay cash because thery lose money on warranty work. You finally find a dealer that will work on it, but they tell you will have to leave there for a month. When you call a month later they tell you it’s not ready and will be another 2 weeks. When the 2 weeks are up you go the dealer and find out that they haven’t even looked at it yet. They finally get in the shop and fix it. You pick it up and before you get it home the AC stops working. You head back to dealer to have fixed again (hopefully for the last time).

Over the next 2 -3 years (or until just before your warranty runs out (after you have other problems fixed and losing the use of your vehicle for weeks or months at a time) you make a “punch list” and then drive to factory to have these items repaired before the warranty expires. Hopefully after the time at the factory all of the poor quality, mechanical problems, and other things that have gone wrong with your vehicle are fixed and you can now really enjoy your car.

Now I know that I have probably exasdurated allot of this, but that was to make my point. We wouldn’t accept this on our car, so why do we accept it on our RVs? The reason it takes so long to get something get into the dealer to get something fixed is because of poor workmanship and quality control at the factory. The manufacturer needs to put as much emphasis on the dealer with after sales service as much as they do on sales.

I remember when American made cars would only made it to about 50 to 75 thousand miles before the engine required a major overhaul. Japanese cars were the jokes of the auto industry. Then the Japanese stepped up their game thereby forcing the American auto industry to step up their game or be left behind. I have a 1992 Jeep Cherokee that has over 242 thousand miles on it and still going strong. The only problems I have had were to replace two radiators and three exhaust systems. I have a 2014 Chevy Silverado with over 52 thousand miles, and nary a problem.

When we stop accepting these problems, it will get better. Okay, that’s the end of my rant

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2016, 03:29 PM   #2

Unfortunately we can't really compare cars and houses with our RV's IMO when it comes to many things. Everyone has (and needs) a house and a car.
For the last 20 years or so I think there has only been about 9 million RV'ers. Collectively, the industry stays right at the cliff. If the product was a little worse we wouldn't buy it. We keep buying the RV's and they are just barely acceptable when you consider sales/service etc. To be fair, a MH has to be one of the most complex items you can buy. Even the MH's that seem to be more reliable come at a steep price when you consider depreciation.

Hobbies are expensive and we have chosen one of the most expensive of all!

okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 06:14 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post

Hobbies are expensive and we have chosen one of the most expensive of all!
Try racing stock cars for 10 years or so,It's like buying a new motor home every year and financing the total amount for 12 months, year after year.

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
rapid rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 03:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid rick View Post
Try racing stock cars for 10 years or so,It's like buying a new motor home every year and financing the total amount for 12 months, year after year.
Yeah......but you get to go REALLY fast!
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 03:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickelhead View Post
I think that is one of the biggest problems today with the RV industry. People just accept the way things are, like the old adage “because we’ve always done it this way!” We wouldn’t accept this if it was our car, toaster, washer and dryer or other item we bought.
When we stop accepting these problems, it will get better. Okay, that’s the end of my rant
Pickelhead
People hoping for of a wonderful/trouble free lifestyle are simply the pawns funding the players of the game of corporate greed).
IMO will never "get better".
Old 10-13-2016, 04:17 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Nothing is going to change until someone starts building them better (like the Japs did in the 70's) and steals business from the existing companies.

Then they will be forced to change, or go out of business, can't happen soon enough if you ask me.
Old 10-13-2016, 04:57 PM   #7

I have been looking at trying the RV lifestyle for about 6 months now. Fueled by youtube videos and the various blogs that promote it, and a growing wanderlust to see this fabulous country I spent 25 years 'defending.' After extensive research and pricing, I have decided that purchasing a new unit from an RV dealer is insane, especially at any reasonable price point. As I ain't no millionaire, and the very fancy ones require serious maintenance budgets as well. I love the information that is available here on irv2 and other forums, it is outstanding and I've used various bulletin boards most of my adult life.

The depreciation loss, inflationary MSRP markup (I pay a VLT tax in AZ ) and shoddy business practices of the majority of the RV dealers and even manufacturers (and the domination of major parts of the industry) is ridiculous. I looked at several of the European class B and C models that I would buy in a heartbeat, outstanding layouts, better materials, better warranties, etc. But I can't get them here in the US and the DOT regulations prohibit shipping one over. But the lack of information and used car sales tactics of the sales folks that I have encountered is ridiculous; unfortunately since most people seem to be buying RV's on impulse, they are taken advantage of, and that is why it continues.

It seems like there is no real competition anymore, and that is a double edged sword, as once a dominate player takes over an industry, it decimates it, and that is exactly what has (and will) happen. But then again, maybe if more people were informed, engaged and thought critically, we wouldn't have either of the two caricatures that are running for our current top governmental position, or what is even worse, the lack of competition in our local government positions due to gerrymandering. I voted the entire time I served in the Military, but usually not for the popular options, as I well understood the "Giant Sucking sounds" being generated, as well the reason why the auto industry needed actual competition and safety requirements, but I digress as a political rant is not what I intend with this post.

I feel that my only option to enjoy the RV lifestyle is to buy a gently used (the bugs have been worked out) unit that I can maintain myself, and stay away from the (St)dealers altogether. Or design and build one myself, but that gets expensive because I lack the purchasing power of a large corporation. The very corporations (and their CEO's) that seem to have taken over my beloved country.

Tags
ems, problems