RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2018, 05:14 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by katielee View Post
So for those responding, my ignorance appears to be that the "fringe" was all that I thought went to Quartzite and it was not a general RV type assembly.
There are a lot of different 'types' there ... even a nudest section.

You should go if you are in the area. If you know other RVers, meet them there.

If you want to be alone, pick a spot away from others and drive to the groups you want to see. It is a huge area.

MaryKay2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2018, 05:40 AM   #16
AKP

You sound like a mean person

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryKay2 View Post
Very true. I was in Colorado boondocking an as time went on I found myself surrounded by campervans/RVs. It was a RTR.

A gathering of loosers. Play some bad music and pass the hat!
This was a mean thing to say. Hope you don’t have grandkids. “Children learn why they live “

AKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 09:07 AM   #17
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Would it surprise you to know there is a Monaco coach Rally on BLM land here every January? There is also a big group of bus type RVs - not school buses, but pricey RVs. There is also about 75, mostly Class As that camp next to where I am

To assume that boondocking is only for the penniless is very misguided. Many of us despise RV parks. I don’t enjoy having strangers that close and I don’t need pickle ball and a swimming pool. Staying in an RV park is not camping! It's RVing. I prefer to camp.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 10:49 AM   #18

Quote:
So for those responding, my ignorance appears to be that the "fringe" was all that I thought went to Quartzite and it was not a general RV type assembly.

As I mentioned, I don't judge people. Who shows up at a campsite does not bother me at all. Actually spent some wonderful evenings sitting with some tent dwellers in one park recently. Opened my eyes to a lot of stuff. But they were not of the breed I seem to see on Youtube. They were true adventurists and travelers enjoying what they did.

From some later posts, it appears there is a general interest RV get together and some of what I seem to be seeing is people who stay in the desert without amenities or social "norms" is more because they want to, not that this is what Quartzite is about.

Hope this makes sense

I want to experience all aspects of RV'ing once. (I think). Am I shortchanging myself by blanketly saying I would never go? I am attending a large scale rally soon but I have seen posts by old timers who say they would not be caught dead there.

My mind is always open to changing. I guess my first post was made based on a lack of full understanding. Let me go read some more posts.

Youtube and internet forums is not IMO the best representation of what RV life (or any life) is all about. Problem when you go to Youtube is their search software takes you to the most watched and prolific posters, much of which in my view is made up drama. My earlier rant about Bob Wells(Cheap RV Living). His videos shows up in every search. I'm sure he is sincere, great guy and has been helpful to many but if that is your first or only exposure to RV life you would think everyone is living out in the National forests or desert and crapping in buckets.

I'm still new to RV'ing (4 years part-time) But I have traveled and camped the USA since 1977. (thumb ,bicycle, car, boat). Cool thing for me about RV'ing is you have the mobility and self containment to choose who you want to be with and where you want to be. If you want to park on concrete every night watching TV and eat at Cracker Barrel no problem. If you want to park in a muddy field and sit around a fire banging a drum with a bunch of old hippies you can find that too.

I think with a little road time and meeting people along the way you will discover the niche that you are comfortable with. No problem with experiencing new things and people, if along the way you don't like the vibe you are experiencing just move on down the highway to somewhere else.

As for the rallies you mentioned earlier it is worth doing at least once, A lot of people do enjoy them and make lifelong friends. We are doing one probably two more before we pass a final judgement on RV rallies. One is in north Florida this spring sponsored by a competing forum and one in the fall in Myrtle Beach SC (close to us) sponsored by this (IRV2) forum. Both are much smaller in scale compared to the FMCA rally.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:14 AM   #19

The title is a bit odd, since it has nothing to do with Burning Man that I could see and isn't similar in any way (except perhaps both take place in a Desert).

All in all, it was a good article, I learnt some stuff and it certainly makes me want to go and take a look one day if only to escape the cold Canadian winters.

I have a motorhome, if I decide it's not for me, I'll drive somewhere else

Steve
Old 12-18-2018, 05:15 PM   #20

RickNC - Very astute observation. I have one specific YouTube video guy that I love to follow. He only does positive videos and makes instructional videos on things he knows. He has never complained about a site and if he doesn't like a product, service, or location, he just doesn't mention it. He is an older gentleman and travels with his wife and is a joy to watch.

I have tried to find others like him because I am a positive person. But all the searching in the world will not bring up others like him. Every time, I get the other type. Now I do enjoy all the reviews of the various types of rigs they drive. It is just that like the Bob Wells video. I have tried to find a way to search for recently posted stuff, but apparently their algorithm reverts to what they want you to see.

As far as each of these two gatherings being just for cheap or poor people, I remember a certain Howard Hughes who would have fit right in with some of the people I see making videos. And no ever called him poor.
katielee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 05:58 PM   #21

Quote:

As far as each of these two gatherings being just for cheap or poor people, I remember a certain Howard Hughes who would have fit right in with some of the people I see making videos. And no ever called him poor.
If you are referring towards the end of his life; it was due to mental illness.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:19 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryKay2 View Post
If you are referring towards the end of his life; it was due to mental illness.
Not that period. He was an eccentric man who did things, built things, bought things that he saw as a good cause, regardless of what others thought.

He had his way of doing things.
katielee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 08:19 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickNC View Post
The author obviously has never been to Burning Man nor have any clue what it is about. I have been to Burning Man twice but never been to RTR. When I compare the strict non-commercial leave no trace rules of Burning Man versus the anything-goes buy my trinkets and advice atmosphere depicted in the videos and stories I have seen of RTR, the only thing they have in common is a desert. Sorry but Bob Wells and the rest of the Youtube beggars don't impress me enough to sit 10 miles out in the desert for a week to worship them.
I won't even watch those videos. I feel they are a blight on RVing. (JMO, folks.)
Old 12-21-2018, 09:01 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
I won't even watch those videos. I feel they are a blight on RVing. (JMO, folks.)
Blight is a excellent description
Old 12-21-2018, 10:38 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickNC View Post
Blight is a excellent description
This guy is funny ... he roasts them all.

Tags
quartzsite