Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2007, 12:23 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

BROOKHAVEN, Miss. - It was no movie moment when a physician, flying himself across Mississippi in a one-seat plane, discovered a stowaway _ a gray rat snake.

Dr. Ed Carruth discovered the snake-on-a-plane when it began "licking" his arm Thursday, he told The Daily Leader of Brookhaven.

"I've been flying planes for 50 years and over 14,000 hours, and this is the most unusual in-flight emergency I've encountered," he said. "I guess it wasn't exactly an emergency, but I did almost hurt myself when I saw it."

Needing to fly the plane and lacking tools to get rid of the snake, "I did some aerobatics," Carruth said. "And once he got oriented, he went to the back of the plane."

When Carruth arrived at Brookhaven Municipal Airport after his flight from Meridian, officials called a snake expert to remove the reptile. It's not uncommon for snakes to live in airplane hangars, said Joey Pradillo, the expert.

"The snakes are in there after the mice. And the hangar is cool on the inside, and that's why he was in there in the first place," he said. Pradillo released the snake into the wild.

--------------------------------------------------

I think if this were to happen to me the airplane would have a foul odor in it for a while.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2007, 12:23 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

BROOKHAVEN, Miss. - It was no movie moment when a physician, flying himself across Mississippi in a one-seat plane, discovered a stowaway _ a gray rat snake.

Dr. Ed Carruth discovered the snake-on-a-plane when it began "licking" his arm Thursday, he told The Daily Leader of Brookhaven.

"I've been flying planes for 50 years and over 14,000 hours, and this is the most unusual in-flight emergency I've encountered," he said. "I guess it wasn't exactly an emergency, but I did almost hurt myself when I saw it."

Needing to fly the plane and lacking tools to get rid of the snake, "I did some aerobatics," Carruth said. "And once he got oriented, he went to the back of the plane."

When Carruth arrived at Brookhaven Municipal Airport after his flight from Meridian, officials called a snake expert to remove the reptile. It's not uncommon for snakes to live in airplane hangars, said Joey Pradillo, the expert.

"The snakes are in there after the mice. And the hangar is cool on the inside, and that's why he was in there in the first place," he said. Pradillo released the snake into the wild.

--------------------------------------------------

I think if this were to happen to me the airplane would have a foul odor in it for a while.

Old 09-24-2007, 06:50 PM   #3

I would crash the plane.

I was driving down a state highway one night when I lived in Venice. It is along rode and quite dark. I was on the phone with our pediatrician on speaker phone when a moth flew into my hair. I started screaming and flailing and yelling begging my ds14 to get it out of my hair. The pediatrician was hearing all this saying "what's wrong, what's wrong". Poor guy didn't know what was going on, just didn't want me to wreck. Luckily ds14 saved the day. If he had not been there to get it out, I surely would have run off the road.

That was just a moth. Can't imagine a snake.

Oh, there also was a time just a few weeks ago when dh was driving us home from eating out. Just as we turned on the road heading for the entrance to post, he looked to the left to see a spider the size of a quarter on the driver's window. I swear he screamed like a girl, although he will deny it. I have to say though that he was bitten on 2 different occassions by brown recluse spiders, so I understand his fear. Well, the spider jumped at him. Lucky for us there was a parking lot right there. I never saw him get out of a car so fast. I have to say I was not as helpful as ds14, I was too busy ROTFLOL. I was laughing so hard I had tears and could hardly breathe. I almost wet my pants for crying out loud. I am ROTFLOL right now just remembering it.

OK, not a snake on a plane so much, but quite funny, IMHO.

mamaloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 12:18 PM   #4

Wonder why the pilot didn't just go nose up? The snake would have slid to the back of the plane. If he tried to crawl back up front again, go nose up again.

P.S. It's usually a bad idea to go nose down with snakes in the rear of the plane.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:32 AM   #5

We have a great Stowaway story about one of our cats. Were were in a campground in Virginia and my wife was feeding the local wild cat population. It was fall and we had either captured, fixed and released all of them but one Black and White kitty. This one we could not catch. Most found great homes. We had to travel about 6 hours to NC to get the coach worked on. We left in the morning and stayed a Moose Parking lot with the generator running that night. The next morning into the repair shop, for major work. Removed and replaced 5 windows a leaking slide out and at the end of the day we traveled back to our new home in Charlottsville, put the coach on the pad, jacked up and done. Next moring my wife goes looking for our originial cat and finds him under the coach crying, only his mouth was not moving. Upon a little closer inspection we find the Black and White Kitty on top of the fuel or water tank.
She feeds him and gets a safe trap. He is a She but the name Jack stuck and He/She lives with my sister in law in Alabama.