Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2016, 05:39 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
I just sold My Mom's house next door because I didn't want to rent.I even had a single lady come by and promised to take really good care of it.The guy that bought it is renting it to her but, they are some really ruff looking people coming in and out.I had a really bad experience with selling our old home place to a step-daughter.Enough said.

papaw.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2016, 05:52 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a rental in the Phoenix area, rental was plus power. Can't get the dead beat to pay the power which is in my name...wonder if it's 'theft' I. Arizona?

Old 02-15-2016, 08:49 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Call the power company and have it shut off.
He can open it in his name
Old 02-15-2016, 09:03 PM   #18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yep, then it's up to them. I'm surprised you left it in your name!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 09:47 PM   #19
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Yep, then it's up to them. I'm surprised you left it in your name!
It makes no difference whose name it's in here the owner of the property is still responsible for back bills and the power will not be turned on for a new tenant until the arrears are brought up to date.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:18 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyd View Post
Call the power company and have it shut off.
He can open it in his name
Having the power shut off doesn't solve the 'to date' non payment. I want to know if it's theft or not.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:31 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
It makes no difference whose name it's in here the owner of the property is still responsible for back bills and the power will not be turned on for a new tenant until the arrears are brought up to date.

Hmmmmm, I wonder if the power company would install a new meter while the bills were in arrears if the old meter just happened to come up missing one night? Just an idle thought!
Hit_the_Rhod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:59 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petesflhtk View Post
Having the power shut off doesn't solve the 'to date' non payment. I want to know if it's theft or not.
I believe this would be considered theft.
Non payment or eat and not pay is theft.
I think talking to a lawyer might be in order.

Try talking to the power company, explain the problem and
just maybe, they might side with you and shut it off.
You can always tell them that if the person does not bring
it up to date, you will look after it just so it does not hurt your credit.

Also move for EVICTION
Old 02-16-2016, 10:19 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyd View Post
A close friend owns a CG and has people "sleep and go"
a few times. He called the police and was informed he
could charge them with theft if he had the licence number.

He also rented out a second home and has had lots of problems
collecting rent. He has been trying to figure out why these
people cannot be charged with theft.

As one poster said "the house is still there, so it is not theft".
So is the campground, but it is theft.

Maybe we would not have problems with renters if they could
be charged criminally.
Last fall my wife and I pulled into a campground about 10pm. Office was closed so we took a spot and figured we'd settle up in the morning. We got up and we're ready to roll about 6:30am as we pulled up to the office it was still closed. There was a drop box for payment but it said no cash. I grabbed one of the brochures and figured I call and settle up over the phone. About 10am I made the first call. No answer. I called three more times that day and never got an answer. I figured if they wanted my money bad enough they could at least have an answering machine. Never got hold of them and still haven't paid.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:36 AM   #24

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Hmmmmm, I wonder if the power company would install a new meter while the bills were in arrears if the old meter just happened to come up missing one night? Just an idle thought!
And THAT, I'm sure, would be considered theft by everyone! Wouldn't surprise me if the non-paying tenant turned in the meter thief and the power company could make it Grand Larceny!
blang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 10:44 AM   #25

Talking Another legal aspect

Something to consider, the legal concept of UNJUST ENRICHMENT:

A general equitable principle that no person should be allowed to profit at another's expense without making restitution for the reasonable value of any property, services, or other benefits that have been unfairly received and retained.
Although the unjust enrichment doctrine is sometimes referred to as a quasi-contractual remedy, unjust enrichment is not based on an express contract. Instead, litigants normally resort to the remedy of unjust enrichment when they have no written or verbal contract to support their claim for relief. In such instances litigants ask a court to find a contractual relationship that is implied in law, a fictitious relationship created by courts to do justice in a particular case.
Unjust enrichment has three elements. First, the plaintiff must have provided the defendant with something of value while expecting compensation in return. Second, the defendant must have acknowledged, accepted, and benefited from whatever the plaintiff provided. Third, the plaintiff must show that it would be inequitable or Unconscionable for the defendant to enjoy the benefit of the plaintiff's actions without paying for it. A court will closely examine the facts of each case before awarding this remedy and will deny claims for unjust enrichment that frustrate public policy or violate the law.

However a judgement for restitution doesn't put lost consideration back in your pocket, but it does set the stage for more punitive actions if the judgement is not satisfied.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:48 PM   #26

All these are the reasons I never had a rental, after hearing some of the same stories from friends who had rentals.

After some thought it occurred to me that politicians make laws, most politicians are lawyers, lawyers benefit most from the lawsuits spawned by the laws made by politicians. Is there a connection?

IMHO, there are changes that need to be made, but as things stand now the chances of that happening appear to be from very difficult to impossible.

Just my 2c.

Steve
Old 02-17-2016, 09:07 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dix39 View Post
All these are the reasons I never had a rental, after hearing some of the same stories from friends who had rentals.

After some thought it occurred to me that politicians make laws, most politicians are lawyers, lawyers benefit most from the lawsuits spawned by the laws made by politicians. Is there a connection?

IMHO, there are changes that need to be made, but as things stand now the chances of that happening appear to be from very difficult to impossible.

Just my 2c.

Steve
"Is there a connection?" You obviously already know the answer!

We had a rental, managed by a rental company in Washington State. We lived in North Carolina at the time. Contract stated no pets without a pet deposit, neighbor called us to tell us that the tenants had two dogs. Manager caught them, they stated that they were just "pet sitting" for awhile . . . .

Manager didn't push it despite our direction to charge them the pet deposit. Said we couldn't do anything about it. The renters were late three months straight. I told Manager to evict them. Her reply "Why? They're good renters!" . . . .just like SHE was a good MANAGER!?!

Anyway, renters moved out. ALL the doors in the house had been broken, kicked in it appeared. The renters had replace the interior doors, but mounted them all upside down, so the door handles were way too high! Also hinged some of the on opposite sides, so the jams were on the hinge side!

Several window screens missing or damaged.

Also took the fridge with them when they moved out. Big burn mark in the carpet in the middle of the living room. They claimed it was from sparks kicked out from the pellet stove . . . . Really?

Anyway, I hired a repairman to go in, catalog, and estimate the damage to the house. It came up to almost $20k. We filed a complaint with Section 8 . .

Did I mention the Manager hadn’t told us that the latest renters were Section 8, just stated that all the checks had come back fine!

Oh, and that her “husband” who was working a job in California at the time of rental, really wasn’t her “husband”, rather her boyfriend, and the “job” in California was with the Department of Corrections, and he hadn’t been released yet! He joined his “wife” three months after she moved in.

Two months later, I get a call from “her attorney” stating that our complaint with Section 8 was preventing his “client” from buying a house through HUD and that if we didn’t remove the complaint, she would sue us!

I suspected that I was speaking with the “husband”/boyfriend. Anyway, I said, Sure, pays us $20k and we’ll remove the complaint! He said he would sue us. “He”? not “his client”? Anyway, never hear another word. We sold the house as is. Took a hit, but learned a lesson.

I would consider renting again, only if I lived local, could do or oversee any repairs myself, and drove past the house in the normal course of my life several times a week. Also, never again rent a high end house, most renters won’t respect your property. I’m sure there are some out there who will, but it’s too difficult to know the difference! Rant over.
Hit_the_Rhod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 08:56 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
Or how about this. There's been instances where deadbeat squatters have moved into an unoccupied home, and it almost takes an act of congress to throw them out. In one case in FL., a couple had closed up their home for a one year trip around the world. When they came back squatters had moved in. The local police were unable to legally throw them out. Even with a court order they were able to stay while their lawyer(?) kept things tied up in our convoluted legal system.
HUH ???? If I go into my house and a person is in there uninvited, I am afraid that would not end well. There would be no time for the court to settle it because the intruders would either have left or be dead.

Peteyboy is offline   Reply With Quote