Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2013, 09:15 PM   #85

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have smoked since I went to work with "grown-ups" when I was fourteen. I have no idea how many cigs I have smoked per day in the past. The addiction is so strong the I never altered my habit a tiny bit as my dad was diagnosed with lung cancer( he survived )' my grandad had already passed of cancer, my mom died of pancreatic cancer and even when my wife of 36 years passed from renal cell cancer I continued to suck those several hundred chemicals into my lungs every waking moment. My kids bought me a motor home, which fulfilled a lifelong bucket list craving after my DW passed with only one caveat. No smoking in the rig or the repo guy gets a call. Even that was not quite enough to back me down. Then my WGF needed surgery. That, along with my old age hard-knocks wisdom finally kicking into gear, I was able to TRY once more to attempt to quit. Did all the other things in the past (gum,hypnosis etc) This time tried e-cigs. Found the highest rated brand we could and bought a sample pack. Wanting to quit is the crux, but getting my nicotine dose and having a " cig " to play with is what I think put me and her over the top. Since third week of May, I've had 3"real" cigs in my face and each one nastier than the last. Now, I no longer get the urge to bum a smoke. I get all the habit without 99% of the health fallout. Maybe someday I will forget to even have the e-cig with me, but until then there is no stink, I have my wind back, no hair balls get hacked up in the a.m. And my sense of smell and taste have returned. Oh, and my BP went back to a good/great level. Life is good. If you know you need to quit and can't quite get there in your head, I strongly urge you to try e-cigs. I was up to 5-6 cartons a month. I think that's called chain-smoking. If you can't quit it's because you are not in your head ready to do so. Every time I've read a post from an ex-smoker that said " If I can quit anybody can ", I would grind my teeth. But, finally I have the right tool to get the job done. I tried several brands until I found one that fit me. Smokers, do yourselves a favor. Tell the nicodemon you will continue to feed it and find an e-cig that does the trick for you. Even if you suck on these silly pacifiers for the rest of your days you will be 1000% better for it. Jussayin .

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2013, 10:03 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjcarpetguy View Post
I had read this post when it was first summited. at that time didn't believe I would ever be replying to this. Congrats to the OP. DW and I started talking about quitting in may I think. Didn't really want to. I am 57 and have smoked a pipe for 36 years and the wife 2 plus packs a day for over 28yrs. In mid July started taking
Chantix. after 3 weeks and "several stomach aches later" on Aug 1st my Moms Bday
we quit. Had 2 smokes that day and none since. I have not had to do the E cig. but wife has and it has helped her. She has not lapsed yet. Also should mention this has been very stressful time as her mom has been in and out of hospital because of lung cancer. It is in remission but is in operable and she still smokes.

I do know I will have a lot of work to do as our MH and My truck stink horribly.
right now I am only have mild urges once in awhile.
Congrates and Hang in there.
I am on my 3rd year of being a NON. I am 68 and been a smoker since about 12 years old. Champix got me started but I had made up my mind that I was done. I think that is the key cause now the smell of cigs makes me sick. I don't know how I could smoke as long as I did. I know, I sound like one of those but it is true. It is a Filthy Habit and will kill you but until you are ready to quit, there is no sense kidding yourself, it is not an easy habit to quit.
After the first two years, I feel like I have been let out of a cage. A cancer threat was my major motivator. Fortunately, it turned out to be just a threat but enough to make me quit. All things happen for a reason I guess.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:18 PM   #87

I heard on the news last week that it's twice as hard for menthol smokers (me) to quit.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:31 PM   #88

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Dunner, don't quit, just try to see how long you can go between cigarets. Its a mind over matter thing and it works. I still smoke but it's over 17 years since my last one and I no longer crave the next smoke. I can almost claim to have joined the ranks of the non smokers.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:35 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
Dunner, just don't quit, just see how long you can go between cigarets. Its a mind over matter thing and it works. I still smoke but it's over 17 years since my last one and I no longer crave the next smoke. I can almost claim to have joined the ranks of the non smokers.
What is that, BC mentality? LOL
Are you still looking for that Shaw HD PVR? I am in Mississippi for about ten days but should be home before the end of Aug.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:38 PM   #90

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
What is that, BC mentality? LOL
Are you still looking for that Shaw HD PVR? I am in Mississippi for about ten days but should be home before the end of Aug.
We won't be headed east until Labour day weekend. I will let you know when we will be in your area.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:40 PM   #91

If I'm away from home at a Dr appt or tests, I can go for hours without one. Like drinking, they say to remove all remembrances of what triggers you to smoke/drink. Kinda hard to do when you're used to being on the computer reading forums all day.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:44 PM   #92

If I quit smoking, I may end up dying of nothing.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:44 PM   #93

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Dunner old buddy,
You need a new hobby.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:57 PM   #94

Except for early morning, it's too hot to do anything outside. Lately, it's been over 100 by 9am.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:39 AM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
We won't be headed east until Labour day weekend. I will let you know when we will be in your area.
Give me a PM just in case I don't log in here
Old 08-14-2013, 06:43 AM   #96

First I want to send congrads to all that have tried and are trying to quit smoking, it aint easy at all. The last day i had a smoke was 11-16-11 and if memory serves me, i was enjoying a smoke when i woke up in a ambulance after being hit by a out of control semi. The hospital put me on the patch and when i left the hospital i stuck with the patch program and haven't had one since then. So to those who are wanting to quit, DON'T Stop Quitting! And Yes, the money we are saving is helping us play longer in the Motorhome! Happy Trails Y'all.
04 Dolphin 6375 LX W-24 Chassis #434136
"The Journey is our Destination" Unionville, Tn.
Dmorgan6375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:29 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
This is true. You have to want to quit. I went for 4 day when I was stuck in a hospital... no problem. I an go all day if I'm working on a intense project. I'm wearing 2 patches and don't crave as mush. With me, it's more of a habit than an addition. They don't taste good and my throat is sore.
Dunner
People have told me "Quiting is EASY, I've done it 100 times".

I "paused" for 6 months, a year ago, during and after an 1 night hospital stay.
After 2 weeks I felt good about myself because I didn't miss smoking at all and I thought I had the habit beat.

6 months later while traveling home after wintering in TX we had a stressful coach problem.
While rummaging through a tool drawer I found an old dry cigarette and thought "Why not"?...."One smoke can't hurt".........
WRONG!

Now, 5 months later, I'm up to 1/2 a pack a day.
Mel
Old 08-14-2013, 09:37 AM   #98
mdo

Hope you stay smoke free.... After 35 years of smoking I quit on 12/31/2001 and have stayed tobacco free.... Used to have dreams about smoking..... I knew I had kicked the habit after one year smoke free.... I don't miss the morning cough, ashes where they shouldn't be and smoked up clothes...

BTW, in 2005, I watched my mom pass from lung cancer.... that was enough to make me stay tobacco free....