Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2013, 03:45 AM   #43

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
I quit Jan 1st 1978 .Just remember it just takes one to get you started again .
Excell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2013, 03:49 AM   #44

I quit 22 years ago. DH also managed to quit. I'm glad we have that smelly expensive monkey off our backs. And we've saved thousands of dollars.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:34 AM   #45

iRV2 No Limits Club
When I was taking a social work class on substance abuse treatment it was brought up that tobacco is more addictive than heroin, purposefully.
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:45 AM   #46

Good for you !! I quit when cigarettes went to 35 cents a pack ... it's been awhile. My older son quit 1 year ago.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:13 AM   #47

Hey Kyle, I quit in 1985, now 69 years old! Don't think I would have gotton to this age if I had continued. Dad died at the age of 51 he smoked.

I used to have dreams that I started smoking again, I would be so mad at myself, but extremely happy when I woke up and found it was only a dream

I am still amazed that folks still smoke, I quit when they hit .75 cents a pack, at the PX. I couldn't justify spending 7.50 on a carton and burning it up. Now I saw a young man purchase one pack at Food Giant yesterday for 4.23 (yes they are cheaper in Mo) and attempt to use a credit card, that was rejected. He had to actually dig out cash to make the purchase

Anyhoo, hang in there its worth it, the other day at my doctors office he said take a deep breath, I did and he said, "Great, you never smoked did you?" That was music to my ears!!

Happy Trails
Jim
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:55 AM   #48

Fleetwood Owners Club
I quit 10 months ago and can't imagine going back. Every time I get an urge I think "why would I want to go back to that?" Having to go outside to smoke. Smelling like smoke. Paying ridiculous prices for a pack. Absolutely not worth it. Being down here in Florida for the winter and going to Disney World once a week, I will walk past the "designated" smoking areas, smell the cigarette smell and be very grateful that I quit. Good luck. One day at a time. You can do it!

2016 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 35DK towing a Chevy Equinox
cappelte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:30 AM   #49

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
How are you doing ? Still hanging in there ? If you get cravings try to figure out the trigger and eliminate it .I had to quit coffee for six months ,drank tea instead .
Excell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:17 AM   #50

Congrats, On the no smoking. I used to smoke 3 paks a day, And if I can quit anyone can quit. 7 yrs now......... And dont even get a urge.
pro_coupe 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:39 AM   #51

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I have never smoked, but I'm sitting here with my husband that was a smoker for 55 years. We have put our plans of going full time on hold as he battles first lung cancer and now brain cancer. He also has COPD.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:58 AM   #52

Never smoked "volentarily" but back in the day, when I was growing up in the 40's and 50's, most people smoked so just being around these people made us all smokers. "yuk". Being a jock, I was always into sports that required maximium cardio workouts and heavy smokers could not really excell in these areas.

Smoke never really bothered me as much as it does now. I suspect because I am not an involentary smoker anymore and my smell sense has become acustomed to a cleaner environment. Our laws, backed and promoted by public pressure, have helped us all and now I refuse to be around anyone who smokes even though they are not smoking in my presence. Just can't stand the stink on thier clothes and hair etc.

My wife has never smoked volentarily either and our children don't smoke, nor do our grandchildren.

I understand addiction is hard to break for some and I appaud those who have become ex smokers and encourage others to quit but even more I encourage others not to start smoking.

So congratulations to successeful quitters and encouragenent to those still struggling to kick the filthy antisocial and extremely unhealthy habit.

Now I will get off the soapbox. Good luck to all
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:59 AM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
Glassalley 52 Soory to read about your husband and his health problems do to cigarette smoking. I quit 33 years ago and know that I probably would be in his shoes if I hadn't. I hope that someone sees your post and quits because of it.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:03 AM   #54

Winnebago Owners Club
I used to smoke a pack and a half a day, and so did my wife. At roughly $8.00 a pack these days that translates into $720.00 a month for two people. Sevenhundredtwentydollars! This is real savings here. You can put some nice improvements or pay for some nice getaways with that king of savings! I have found as I have grown older and just a little wiser that it seems the people of the least economic means ( and I am in no way implying you ) but their smokes, their lottery tickets, their beer, their pot, and have a hard time making ends meet. Speaking for myself, I have more "mad money" at my disposal these days since I gave up those things.
Most of all, your general well being will improve overall.
I am rooting for you to win that battle!!
Best of luck. It's a tough fight.
Horizonchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:56 AM   #55

My husband quit several years ago when we first fulltimed and did it after 42 years of smoking. It was not easy, but he is still smoke free. Good on ya' for quitting and my prayers are with you all the way.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:47 PM   #56

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I was smoking a pack and a half, 1 or 2 cigars and a couple pipe loads when I quit in 1966. Really missed them, but got over it.

Glenn