Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-08-2011, 03:04 PM   #29

Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
back then we anxiously awaited Sunday evenings so we could use that TV to watch Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color...

You forgot the "Brought to You in living color" peacock and the Rocky and Bullwinkle show on right after Disney also in color. They had fractured fairy tales... Remember?
-Paul R. Haller-

Paul R. Haller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2011, 03:06 PM   #30
Color & cable tv may have been around at that time, but we sure never seen it. I'm 44, I think the first time I saw color tv I was about 6. First time I seen cable I must have been about 14. First time I saw a VCR was when I was 16, rented with the movie from the video store .

stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:00 AM   #31
Vintage RV Owners Club
All depends on where you grew up, and what your living situation was, I am sure.
SyrenSkywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 04:22 AM   #32
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I can rember our first tv ( 1949) 5th family in town to have tv, paid for/w cansiter in line $.25 for 15 min.
GRUMPY,5th wife,2cats,89 Bounder,AND BROKE
grumpy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:13 AM   #33

Originally Posted by Seajay View Post
In hear young folks talk about how we had it made in the ''GOOD OLD DAYS'' when gas was .29 cents a gallon and 20 dollars would buy more food than you could put in the back seat of your car and all that other ''bull stuff''...

NEWS FLASH.... I LIVED THRU THEM ''GOOD OLD DAYS'' and they were not that great.
Examples. We did not have indoor plumbing.
We did not have a phone.
We did not have a television until I was 12 years old (1952)
We did not have central heating.( we had a wood stove )
We did not have air conditioning. (we didnt even have a window fan)
Our 37 Chevy had an ashtray that worked and a radio that didnt.
Movies were .09 cents for kids but we could not get to town.
Evening entertainment was to go down to the rail road and watch the ''Crecent Flyer'' go by on its way to Washington.
Your allowance was .25 cents a week for drawing well water, splitting and carrying in wood for heating and cooking and doing ''chores'' for your mom as necessary........
I bathed in a wash tub in the back room.
In the winter time the only room in the house, in the morning, that was warm was the kitchen.
If you had a heart attack you usually died.
If you stepped on a rusty nail Mom would ''smoke your foot'' over a smoldering wool sock in a can with sulpher burning in the sock.
If you got the ''krupe'' you got three drops of kerosene on a spoon full of sugar.
A ''mustard plaster'' could cure the plague, a cold, pneumonia, most all diseases you could not spell.
Really old people were those over fifty and ancient people were over sixty.

There is a thousand more things I could write but you get the picture.
One thing I do miss is the fact that back then, a mans word was his bond and I miss the fact that we NEVER LOCKED OUR HOUSE OR OUR CAR.
Dad left the ''key to the car'' in the switch so he would not lose the keys.

Trust me, The ''GOOD OLD DAYS'' were not that great but the people back then were wonderful.

Thank the vets from WW2 for our freedoms they fought and died for that we might be free.

I have to really appreciate what you are saying. I am 50, that is probably very young to you, and I agree with you that when times were hard years ago, people were different. I remember all the stories that my mother and father and grandparents would tell me. I had a great Aunt who lived to be 93 tell me so many wonderful memories from years past. It makes a young guy like me wish I could spend some time with the past. I think there is good and bad with each era. We can be happy with the advances made in our modern world, but the truth is people are not the same character wise or morally that they once were. When you speak of not having to lock your doors and that you can keep your keys in the car, well that is proof that morality and conscious has gone by the way side. Things were harder years ago, but it made stronger charactered people such as yourself. I honor that. I think if a young person had to live off the land in today's era, they would starve. I am not speaking of all young people, but our nation has lost the fiber of self-independence and making ends meet when the chips are down. Just yesterday, I read that 20% of the homes are in foreclosure in this nation. We may have wonderful medicines and made great technical advances, but with a bad economy and the middle class disappearing, it is scary to see what the future holds. We can only hope that there are enough young people that can see this decline and turn our world around when we the older crowd are gone. Unfortunately, the people who plunder America currently only care about their lifetime. They do not stop to think what the future generations have to deal with when left with destruction debt and harder times ahead. I do not mean to sound all doom and gloom, but there is something to be said about the olden times. I wish our young people could know how our ancestors and militaries sacrificed for them today. Let us all hope it can only get better and not worse. This is a great thread and I love hearing of all the testimonies of how you all lived in times past. It makes you appreciate what you have. America today takes freedom for granted!
first5thwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 03:47 PM   #34
Winnebago Owners Club
The thing I remember most was when I got a raise; It was a real raise . From .35 cents per hour to .50 cents Per hour; I also remember when dad needed some people to help work of the farm. Back in the 1940, They came and worked some for meals, When some asked what he paid, he said he would pay them what they were worth , most said they couldn't work that cheap;; I also remembering these old men sitting on the bench in front of the service station. this was maybe in the mid 1950s, One said to the other. they sure don't build them like they used to; The other says, Thank God for that.. Life is good ;; I want more of it;;
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:32 PM   #35

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
I just had my 54th birthday. My kids can't fathom a world without laptop computers, smartphones, satellite TV and radio, cars, houses, and RVs without air conditioning. They've never been without such things.

I can remember when working with a computer meant using a teletype printer at 110 baud. Television was only on eighteen hours a day, and there were only three channels. My uncle was the only one in the family with a color TV until my father bought a monster Magnavox console in 1968, we watched the moon landing on it. Watching the History Channel shows about the space race brought back memories, I grew up in Florida during that time. My folks paid $13,000 for our three bedroom, two bath house in south Florida, complete with pool back in 1966.

Back when I was a kid, camping was a Jayco popup (one of their first ones) and trips to Florida State Parks. Dad was an accomplished camp cook, we ate very well. Our popup held a fold-down Honda Trail 70 mini-bike and we carried a small boat with a 15 horse motor on the roof of the popup. All of our friends wanted to come on our camping trips.

We were poor, but we didn't know it. I think my children are poorer as they could never have the childhood I did. Of course they were born in Europe, the older two went to European schools until I rotated stateside and retired, and they have their own rich experiences that their peers do not share.
SSgt. Richard L Ray, USAF (Retired) - Laura L Ray
Our second home is a vintage 1995 Jayco Eagle 277RB 'The Love Shack"
towed by a 2008 Ford F-250 Lariat Crew Cab short bed "The Green Goblin"

W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:26 AM   #36
Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
Originally Posted by MickBrennan View Post
The good ole days? 30 years ago the treatment for my stage 3 cancer was not available. I would have died. That single fact alone makes The Good Days right now. Certainly we have all been helped by modern medicine. Polio is wiped out, children no longer need to suffer with measles, chicken pox, rubella, mumps and pertussis.
Environmental regulations have made our air, water and food more pure. Many endangered species are returning from the brink of extinction. The pervasive threat of nuclear war has passed. The Berlin Wall is down. Cars are much safer. The Interstate Highway System has made getting where we want to go much easier for us. Communication is convenient and cheap. We have ready access to far more opinions and information than at any other time of the civilized world.
In my opinion; these are the good days!

My wife's cancer would have killed her. My heart attack would have killed me. Would not have been able to enjoy the good old days on the wrong side of the grass.
2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD, Cummins ISL 400, Allison 3000, Progressive EMS, Aventa II, Air Force One, Tire Safeguard TPMS, Blue Ox Tru Center (maybe), Lotsa LEDs
mrschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:54 AM   #37
Thor Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Good old days

Reading these posts about the old days gave me a lot of good memories with the kids i grew up with. I'm 67+, Family life was not so good, but you deal with it. Went into the Navy as soon as 18, never regretted it. Found out who I was and what I was capable of. Today have a wonderful wife, great daughter and two wonderful grandkids. retired from a great career and to me these are my good old days!. thank you for letting me share.
henryn, 2011 winnebago view, NC
henryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:38 AM   #38
50 years from now the children that live today will refer that these were the good old days.
I'm afraid that today is as good as it's going to get.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:54 PM   #39

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
Back when I started driving (and smoking) in the late 60's I could fill my 10 gallon VW Beetle up with $2.00 and get a carton of Marlboros for $2.00 for a total of $4.00 or about 4 hours at minimum wage. Now to do that you're looking at $70 or about 9 hours at the current minimum wage. Maybe they were the good ole days.
While I somewhat agree with your reasoning, the two products you cite are both HIGHLY taxed by federal, state, and sometimes even local jurisdictions, and it's not an accurate way to compare. If you look at things like bread, milk, most staples and other "non-sin-taxed items", when adjusted for inflation, prices are about the same overall for most items. Also, there are HUGE increases in the number of items for sale (e.g. variety, breadth of choice, etc etc).

I'm 58, so I remember the days of gas at 29/9 and milk at 35 cents a gallon. But I also remember working for minimum wage at $2.35 an hour, then going home while listening to my tinny AM transistor radio, and turning on the TV to browse the FOUR available channels.

I wouldn't go back on a bet.

And factor in the advances in medical treatment (Even with side effects. I'll take the occasional muscle pain with my heart meds, thank you. I'd be dead otherwise.) and the almost complete eradication of childhood mortality due to disease, and I doubt many mothers and fathers would REALLY want to go back.

I'm not sure what it really says about our culture, but this is the only time in history where childhood OBESITY is a greater danger than the dozens of diseases they used to die from.

Always remember, you're a unique individual - just like the other 7 billion people on the planet...
JiminJersey is offline   Reply With Quote