Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2011, 04:19 PM   #1
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Those were the Good Ol' Days!

Grandad Remembers the Good ol’ Days…..

“I remember when I was a kid, my mother used to send me down to the corner store with a $1.00 and I used to be able to come back with 5 bags of potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese and 6 eggs!”

“You can’t do that now, that’s for sure!” he said.

“Too many frickin’ security cameras!”
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2011, 04:49 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I remember when Cokes went from .05 cent to .06 cent, my dad said he would never buy another one.

Then they started putting then in bigger bottles and he started back.

Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 05:20 PM   #3

In the good ole days, I could go to the store, spend 20 bucks and have to have help carrying it all out to the car.

Now I go in spend 100.00 dollars, and I must be in great shape, I carry it out in one arm.
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 05:45 PM   #4

Back when I started driving (and smoking) in the late 60's I could fill my 10 gallon VW Beetle up with $2.00 and get a carton of Marlboros for $2.00 for a total of $4.00 or about 4 hours at minimum wage. Now to do that you're looking at $70 or about 9 hours at the current minimum wage. Maybe they were the good ole days.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:42 PM   #5

A Yorkshire comedian did a monologue a few years back, taking the mickey out of all the nostalgia advertising. His line was "I remember when you could ride a tram into town, get two suits, two pairs of shoes, buy two pounds of monkey nuts, go and see George Formby at t' Palace Theater and still have change out of a farthing."

"Kids to day don't have a lot of things we had then, like ricketts, diphtheria, Hitler. They don't know they're born."
Old 07-03-2011, 08:03 PM   #6

I would pull my 1962 Chevy in for gas, have it pumped for me, get a fill up, hand the guy a five dollar bill and get change back.
Greg
mahon1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:47 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahon1993 View Post
I would pull my 1962 Chevy in for gas, have it pumped for me, get a fill up, hand the guy a five dollar bill and get change back.
Greg
If you had $5 in 1962 US quarters, that's 20 silver quarters, today, July 4, 2011, you could buy 35 gallons of gas at $3.50 a gallon.

On July 4, 2011, 20 - 1992 US quarters are worth $123.518 in scrap silver!

-Tom

Quoting GasBuddy.com below.

Gas For Less Than 25 Cents Per Gallon

Yes, believe it. Currently gas can be bought for less than 25 cents per gallon. In fact, gas prices today are really not at near record highs but actually...near record lows.

You may all think that I have gone mad, but let me show what I am talking about. When we look back at historical gas prices, they hit an all time low of around 17 cents per gallon during the depression in 1931.

During the period of 1920-1970 gasoline typically cost around 30 cents per gallon. It was not until 1971 when President Nixon took the US dollar off the gold standard that gas prices began rising. Today if you had a quarter that was minted prior to 1965, when money was still made with silver, that quarter is worth more than $8.00 in today's dollars- more than enough to buy 2 gallons of gas with that single 25 cent piece. Gasoline is getting more expensive but the real story is that our dollars are losing purchasing power and we need more of them to buy the same gallon of gas that our parents and grandparents bought decades ago.

Dig out those old quarters everyone...each one will buy at least 2 gallons of gasoline today. Even an old dime will nearly buy an entire gallon.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:57 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Back in the good old days gas was cheap but you only made $1.50 per hour if you were lucky. Gas was 25 cents wages $1.50, Gas $3.60 wages $15.00, lets see .25 times 10 = 2.50 wages $1.50 times 10 = 15.00, so I guess $3.60 gas does mean we are backing up.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:56 PM   #9

Back when I had my first minimun wage job in high school making $1.20 an hour, I remember figuring out that if I could get a raise and make $1.80 an hour I would have it made!!
Greg
Old 07-04-2011, 08:29 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I can remember "Gas Wars"
I bought gas for .18 a gal. Had to drive across town for it.
I joined the Army and made $40.00 a month, lived pretty good too.
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 05:05 AM   #11

No cell phones, no pagers, no i-pads, no seat belts, no computers, no bike helmets, no microwaves, no security cameras everywhere, no airport searches, my God how did we survive?
Greg
Old 07-05-2011, 05:25 AM   #12

In 1961 I made a dollar an hour during my apprenticeship ($37.50 after taxes!)
I paid rent, bought gas at $.29.9 a gallon, cigs at 19 cents, went home every two weeks (170 miles one way) lived "high on the hog".
In 1988 I did the math to update my wages and found I was still making a $1/hour, but now had a wife, two kids, a house, two vehicles and three snowmobiles. All due to the wife working!
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:32 AM   #13

The good ole days? 30 years ago the treatment for my stage 3 cancer was not available. I would have died. That single fact alone makes The Good Days right now. Certainly we have all been helped by modern medicine. Polio is wiped out, children no longer need to suffer with measles, chicken pox, rubella, mumps and pertussis.
Environmental regulations have made our air, water and food more pure. Many endangered species are returning from the brink of extinction. The pervasive threat of nuclear war has passed. The Berlin Wall is down. Cars are much safer. The Interstate Highway System has made getting where we want to go much easier for us. Communication is convenient and cheap. We have ready access to far more opinions and information than at any other time of the civilized world.
In my opinion; these are the good days!
Old 07-07-2011, 05:44 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
In hear young folks talk about how we had it made in the ''GOOD OLD DAYS'' when gas was .29 cents a gallon and 20 dollars would buy more food than you could put in the back seat of your car and all that other ''bull stuff''...

NEWS FLASH.... I LIVED THRU THEM ''GOOD OLD DAYS'' and they were not that great.
Examples. We did not have indoor plumbing.
We did not have a phone.
We did not have a television until I was 12 years old (1952)
We did not have central heating.( we had a wood stove )
We did not have air conditioning. (we didnt even have a window fan)
Our 37 Chevy had an ashtray that worked and a radio that didnt.
Movies were .09 cents for kids but we could not get to town.
Evening entertainment was to go down to the rail road and watch the ''Crecent Flyer'' go by on its way to Washington.
Your allowance was .25 cents a week for drawing well water, splitting and carrying in wood for heating and cooking and doing ''chores'' for your mom as necessary........
I bathed in a wash tub in the back room.
In the winter time the only room in the house, in the morning, that was warm was the kitchen.
If you had a heart attack you usually died.
If you stepped on a rusty nail Mom would ''smoke your foot'' over a smoldering wool sock in a can with sulpher burning in the sock.
If you got the ''krupe'' you got three drops of kerosene on a spoon full of sugar.
A ''mustard plaster'' could cure the plague, a cold, pneumonia, most all diseases you could not spell.
Really old people were those over fifty and ancient people were over sixty.

There is a thousand more things I could write but you get the picture.
One thing I do miss is the fact that back then, a mans word was his bond and I miss the fact that we NEVER LOCKED OUR HOUSE OR OUR CAR.
Dad left the ''key to the car'' in the switch so he would not lose the keys.

Trust me, The ''GOOD OLD DAYS'' were not that great but the people back then were wonderful.

Thank the vets from WW2 for our freedoms they fought and died for that we might be free.
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote