Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2012, 09:42 PM   #29

Whoa, calm down. Time for a reality check. Yes most of the parts are from overseas and that is true for the current American car too. Yes Toyota and Honda are having problems and their products aren't selling very well either. The Korean companies are putting huge pressure on Toyota and Honda. Our big 3 either went bankrupt or close to it remember. It wasn't because they were building the best cars either.

As far as I am aware most of our steel comes from overseas because our steel companies did or could not produce a quality product. I don't know if this has changed for the better or not. I had buy a mile of steel pipe which was to be coated inside and out. We had to use foreign pipe for QC reasons. American pipe could not and would not meet the specs. Price was not an issue.

No matter where you are quality reigns. I want the best car for the money.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2012, 09:56 PM   #30
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Grump View Post
As far as I am aware most of our steel comes from overseas because our steel companies did or could not produce a quality product. I don't know if this has changed for the better or not. I had buy a mile of steel pipe which was to be coated inside and out. We had to use foreign pipe for QC reasons. American pipe could not and would not meet the specs. Price was not an issue..
It's remarkable that you can not buy US made pipe here especially given that price was no object.

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:59 PM   #31

Hey, before we go too far here. Our 2007 Ford Fiesta, bought in Mexico, made in Basil is just fine. Not too much American there. No air bags, antilock, etc. But after all we are driving a "party."
Old 03-31-2012, 10:01 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Many of the USA manufacturing facilities are pretty old and are having a hard time meeting EPA emissions standards. It is cheaper to take the plants out of the country and have lower emissions requirements.

Ken
Old 04-01-2012, 09:12 AM   #33

I appreciate it's a complex subject but surly if we all bought cars from an american company that manufactures in America where the profits and decisions stay here , it would be better for the economy ??
Old 04-01-2012, 09:56 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjnr
I appreciate it's a complex subject but surly if we all bought cars from an american company that manufactures in America where the profits and decisions stay here , it would be better for the economy ??
If profits and decisions would stay here, yes that might make a difference, the problem now, it is now a world market. In the 60s and 70s most everything we built was consumed here. Now we have markets open all over the world, and our products are competing all over the world. Our big concern should be are we providing a climate that will be favorable to all the companies all over the world to manufacture here. Who care is an auto worker is building a Ford, Chevy, Or Hyundai? As long as the job is created here. The domestic content on our "American" cars is a joke. I would not car if China was building cars in the united states, as long as they were providing good paying jobs for Americans. Protectionism caused and extended the Great Depression.

When someone in South America has a job building a car that an American buys, he or she will be able to afford a washing machine we build. Many people do not realize that people all over the world want American products and culture very badly.

It is a world market.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:56 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Deming's theory, constant improvement, no matter how small or large, is still improvement, Japanese products are very high quality because of it. Had 2 Toyotas both excellent, that said I love my Ford box truck and my Dodge pick up. As for the Koreans' their quality is so good now it's actually scary! Hope the big three keep up the quality like they have been. I think some foreign competition in the RV buiseness would be a good thing. Isn't Navistar a multinational co.?
Old 04-03-2012, 07:05 AM   #36
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpncrsaider View Post
Isn't Navistar a multinational co.?
Navistar has offshore assets and manufacturing subsidiaries however they are a wholly owned (100%) US based company where the profits remain here instead of offshore.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:52 AM   #37

Tiffin Owners Club
Over the years I have owned more Ford and Chevys than I can count but I've also owned several Nissans, BMWs and Toyotas and a couple of Chrysler products.

I currently drive a 2010 GMC Acadia SUV and my DW drives a 2012 Nissan Murano SUV both are loaded with all the whistles and bells including Nav. Comfort to comfort I like the Acadia, quality to quality I like the Nissan.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:15 AM   #38

It all boils down to competent industrial and mechanical engineering as well as top notch quality control. Manufacurers that have these individuals are successful in building long lasting products of any kind. The ones that dont have them encounter massive recalls, unhappy customers, and short lived success. they usally are the ones with lazy engineers and qc personal that stamp anything as approved through the assembly lines.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:03 PM   #39

Yes isn't it. When you coat pipe it can have no imperfections such as slivers. American pipe at the time was made in such a way that it had slivers. The pipe needed to be purchased, coated in Huston and shipped to California and installed in 60 days.

It was.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:56 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Where is Huston located?

Ken
Old 04-04-2012, 09:15 PM   #41

I'm thinking.....
Old 04-08-2012, 01:19 AM   #42

Quote:
"..We had a Fiat 124 and this was the biggest POS...
Hence the old acronym for FIAT, which was: Fix It Again Tony LOL!

Quote:
"...Some of the worst cars ever made were made in America from 1976 to 1986..
Hence the old acronym for FORD....Found On Road Dead...or...Fix On Race Day... LOL!

Talk about longevity...come talk to me when an AMERICAN MADE CAR reaches this record will you!

RogueRVer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality