Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2012, 09:29 PM   #1

Thoughts about Japanese quality

I think that most of us believe that the Japanese improved the quality of the cars that we drive today. How do you feel about how the quality of RV's would improve if the Japanese or Koreans started to produce RV's?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2012, 09:33 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers

Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:34 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We all saw what the Japanese auto business did to Detroit and how much better thequality is now. Why would this not happen if they butted into the RV market.

Ken
Old 03-28-2012, 09:34 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Japanese rv News, Videos, Reviews and Gossip - Jalopnik

Japanese Campers, MUST SEE!! - YouTube
Old 03-29-2012, 05:59 AM   #5

My question is--why would you not think that history would repeat itself? Competition always makes the price lower and the product better. It is, however, a sad commentary on business when they ignore the customer UNTIL someone else, typically a competitor, builds a better mouse trap!
Old 03-29-2012, 06:33 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Other than a bmw my DW insisted on, and a couple motorcycles, I've never owned a vehicle that didn't bear an American nameplate. Chevy's, a few Dodges and Jeeps, one Ford, my first MOHO.
Call me stuck in the sixties, but I still believe they build shi!!y little econoboxes, underpowered rattletraps made for third world alleys and having no business on American Highways.

I absolutely do not give them any credit for the current build quality of American cars.
In fact, other than some government induced weirdness in the 70's and 80's, I never had a problem with my American cars.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:36 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to JimmyLeggett
I like the idea of Japanese as long as they remember we are bigger than they are and build that way
JimmyLeggett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:01 AM   #8

Heartland RV Club
I didn't see anything in the video that myself, DW and the two dogs could fit into...
I just traded my Government motors Traverse in for a Subaru Outback ,it's made in America in Lafayette Indiana
www.mudflapscampingclub.com
Tallyrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:06 AM   #9

But in the beginning for the first 10-20 years Japanese quality sucked. Just like the Chinese quality is now!
Old 03-29-2012, 07:40 AM   #10

Because of ny height I do not fit into most asian designed cars. For that matter some of the multi country designs either. Something to remember, some of the motorhomes in the US are bigger than the average living area of most of Japans households (~1000 sq ft).
Old 03-29-2012, 07:46 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCooke View Post
Because of ny height I do not fit into most asian designed cars. For that matter some of the multi country designs either. Something to remember, some of the motorhomes in the US are bigger than the average living area of most of Japans households (~1000 sq ft).
I have an 07 Toyota Tacoma, which is my daily driver. I am 6'2" 205lbs. This is the first vehicle I have ever owned (and the first foreign made vehicle I have ever bought) that 'all the way back' is not my seat position setting. I have never owned a vehicle with so much driver leg room. Even in my F350. Seems they are designing for their market a little better than they used to.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:51 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
I will only state that, of the three (3) Japanese branded cars (2 actually manufactured in the U.S.) that we've owned, none have ever made an unscheduled visit to a dealership service department. Just routine service/recalls, etc. These include a 1999 Honda Civic Si, a 2003 Acura 3.2TL-S and a 2008 Toyota Highlander Limited. If only U.S. RV manufacturers could raise the quality bar anywhere near that high.....

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:14 AM   #13

The responsibility for Japanese quality can be attributed to an American; W. Edwards Deming, the father of statistical quality control. In the simple version, no one here wanted to hear what this guy preached, so he went to Japan where he found an audience. The highest industrial award in Japan is the "Deming Award".

A current saying is that "Perception lags reality". The perception is that one must buy an Asian car for top quality but the reality is that some domestic cars are now equal or superior to their foreign competitors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav5942 View Post
But in the beginning for the first 10-20 years Japanese quality sucked. Just like the Chinese quality is now!
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:03 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think I'll stick with my American brand made in Mexico truck. The one I got when I traded in my American brand made in Canada sedan. I'll roll along on my American brand, probably made in China, tires while listening to songs on my American brand made in Japan radio.

historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality