Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2015, 09:23 AM   #1

TIA Stroke or Mini Stroke

TIA Stroke or Mini Stroke Warning signs

We were visiting with friends and asked her a question about one thing and she answered about a completely different subject.
She was incoherent just for a few minutes and just thought she was exhausted.
After 5-10 minutes all seemed fine, but test at the hospital showed she had a minor stroke.
These warning signs are missed most of the time, fortunately my daughter being an RN told us to head to the hospital quickly.
She is now on blood thinners and additional blood pressure medication.
This morning just tired with a headache.
According to the Dr.'s 30% of people who have a TIA have a serious stoke within two weeks.

Jamie65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2015, 09:35 AM   #2

What is TIA?

Old 11-17-2015, 09:36 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Totally agree with your actions. About a year ago my sister called saying that my Mom was acting 'dopey'. I called her and found the same thing. She could not find the words to describe a situation, not making sense, using words like 'thing' and 'whatchamacallit' because the right descriptions could not make it out.

My friend is a neurologist so got her right in for tests. He confirmed a mini stroke and warned us that the 2nd one is the BIG one - paralysis, LIFE CHANGING for her AND her family. She is now on Aggranox and going fine. Most people ignore the first one as a 'senior moment' and the 2nd one hits with devastating results.

Many of you don't want to be a 'burden' on your children. Realize that being a small 'burden' today and going to the doctor for tests may prevent you from being a BIG 'burden' later!
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 09:49 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mom's been gone 15 years from strokes and congestive heart failure.
I quite driving OTR to help her so she could stay in the Home. I did that for 18 years and I'd do it all over .
Please don't fool around. They can be devastating.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 10:07 AM   #5

Yeah, the medical community prefers now to call those "WARNING STROKES". Mini-stroke makes it sound trivial. No such thing.

TIA is "Trans Ischemic Attack", meaning a blockage that passes. The fact that it passed does not mean that there was no damage, just that the body recovered, adjusted and moved on. Medical attention is very important to prevent more from coming.

BTDT

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 01:28 PM   #6

Serious stuff. My wife's had numerous mini-strokes during the last 11 years. Each even leaves her with less - just less. The cardiologist has told us all her test results are normal for a person her age. There is nothing that can be further to be done to prevent future mini, or any other kind of stroke; just take aspirin daily.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 05:07 PM   #7

just take aspirin daily

Seriously? They didn't prescribe Plavix or some other more aggressive blood thinner?
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 06:33 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLGPE View Post
just take aspirin daily

Seriously? They didn't prescribe Plavix or some other more aggressive blood thinner?
Nope, just one baby aspirin a day, plus I'm allergic to Plavix as well as a few other drugs.
Romer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 08:07 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I take Plavix, a aspirin every day along with all the other ones and they keep me standing upright...

Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 12:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLGPE View Post
just take aspirin daily

I'd never joke about my wife's health, yes I am serious. I have to trust doctors knowledge, the alternative is to just stay home and save the money.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 01:08 PM   #11

When my wife had hers two years ago, it destroyed her vocabulary. For weeks, she could only use simple sentences and it was painful to watch her try to talk. For months, she could not think of the right word that she wanted to. She is somewhat better now, but can not play scrabble and sometimes still looses her train of thought. They are all different depending on the area of the brain that is affected.
halfwright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 03:26 PM   #12

A stroke is analogous to a heart attack, a more descriptive term for stroke would be brain attack. Both have the same effect, the blood flow to an area (heart or brain) is disrupted, and the tissue can die or be damaged.

For sure TIAs or mini-strokes are a very telling indicator and good for your daughter the RN for telling your friend to get medical help.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 02:54 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
What is TIA?
First: Thank you for asking.. Some folks accuse me of claiming to know more than I can possibly know.. Well, there is a reason for that. 10 Minutes ago I could not have answered your question... But I kind of like doing research and learning things.

I just learned something

Here is the link to what I learned:

Transient Ischemic Attack - TIA - Little Stroke
Old 11-22-2015, 10:45 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
In addition to 81mg asprin

An old Air Force Chief Master Sergeant friend of mine always eats a chopped up jalapeno in his meals. He told me a Dr told him that once if he did that he would reduce risk of strokes and never have any cholesterol problems.

And his health was and still is perfect at 80.

Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote