Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2011, 05:55 PM   #1

Tick protection?

We will be traveling to Falls Lake State Park in NC the beginning of July to meet our kids for a camping family reunion. Can anyone recommend a reliable tick repellant? We will be camping with six adults, one toddler and six dogs (dogs are all protected ).

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2011, 06:07 PM   #2

Ticks really aren't that bad. Stay away from high grassy areas and you should be fine. Any good bug repellent with Deet will be just fine. It will of course be quite warm.

2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 06:08 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Any repellant containing Deet is about as good as it gets. Nothing is 100%. Stay out of woods and brush as much as possible and check for ticks after each outing.

Here in Georgia the ticks seem to be about normal this year, have found several on the dog already. We use Advantix on him so some was dead, others still crawling. I try to look him over each night.

Found one on me the other day, not going to mention the spot but its still itching.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 07:10 PM   #4

Thank you...I'll be stocking up on Deet. Definitely not looking forward to the heat & humidity in NC in July but any price is okay to spend time with family. Of course, we'll have the AC running.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:20 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
K9 Advantix on the dog and Deep Woods Off for the humans is what we use. Raid also makes a flea spray in the purple can that we use on the dogs bedding and the mats. It can be sprayed directly on the dog.

We take our Lab walking in the woods every day and have had very few ticks this year.

Good luck,
Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 07:38 PM   #6

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I buy the wipes for the little ones that don't like to be sprayed. Found it in the hunting section at Wally World.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:03 PM   #7

stay out of high grass and thick undergrowth. regular ticks are bad enough, but three times i've been hit by chiggers. wear long pants with the cuffs tied around your ankles and a long sleeved shirt. don't wear your shirt untucked. if you can't stand DEET on your skin, spray it on your hiking clothes and boots, and DO NOT take them off inside until someone has checked you over scalp to toe. been hit bad by seed ticks as well. IMHO a teaspoon's worth of chiggers or seed ticks would cripple a grown man.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:34 PM   #8

We use Frontline Plus so should be okay :-). Thank you for the wipes suggestion, I'll definitely stop at Walmart to pick some up. Wow, raccoonman, that post made me a little nervous! My brother has Lyme disease...they believe he got it camping cross country from CA to NY...definitely don't want to go there and will stay out of high grass & undergrowth!
Old 05-23-2011, 05:42 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I work in a veterinary hospital here in NY and ticks are no joke. Currently we have had 154 lyme disease positive dogs and only 32 negative so far this year. Everyone who works here has had it too. The majority of the dogs were using Frontline so don't depend on that alone. A Preventic (brand name) collar really seems to be the best defense. I got a tick off my arm just today and have been nowhere near tall grass but my dog has so check yourself and kids when you shower. A deer tick has to be on for 24 hours to transmit Lyme disease so don't live in fear, just be careful. If you have symptoms (fever, tiredness, circle mark around a bite) a months worth of Doxycycline will take care of it. Usually a dogs first symptom is limping and lethergy.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:32 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassalley52 View Post
I buy the wipes for the little ones that don't like to be sprayed. Found it in the hunting section at Wally World.
What brand of wipes and for which little ones, 4 or 2 legged?

Jon

2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote