RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2018, 01:34 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
According to this article which doesn't sound too unreasonable.....
https://www.denverpost.com/2013/08/0...isnt-too-much/

10% was standard in 1950. Because less was expected a waitress often had up to 10 tables.
Now we expect more (some have even deemed them our servants) this has led to 3-4 tables per waitress.
Cost of living has increased 10 fold. Cost of meal increased about 7 fold.

Also; When 15% became more standard many people asked, said they gave 20% because the math was easier.

You're welcome!
I'd like to see the data that supports the fact that meal costs have only gone up 7 times what they were in 1950. That "fact" doesn't seem to pass the smell test nor does that mean that the median ("standard") tip needs to go up a full 10% to support that.

I think your last sentence is the key. The math is easier, particularly for math challenged folks.

Then there's the question of whether it's based on the pre or post tax amount.

MapleKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2018, 11:23 PM   #86

Tipping at restaurants

Quote:
Originally Posted by gepaine View Post
I think we can reasonably assume that the "standard" is set by the amount that restaurants automatically add to the bill for large parties. I think that is now 18%.

Large parties are an exception. I think that is done for two reasons.
First.. there is an expectation of a more dedicated service if 15-20 people show up for a party, and second... theres a possibility of that same # of people not chipping into the tip pool.

Old 11-09-2018, 12:04 AM   #87

I---the customer----decides what is 'Standard'
Not some blog, not some website, not some forum etc

ME. It's my hard earned monies and I decide whether to TIP or NOT
10% is still my standard unless the service and the food are better then normal/average. I expect both to be GOOD to begin with. Can't meet that standard then the TIP goes down accordingly. Exceed that standard and TIP goes up accordingly

I worked as a short order cook, as a bus boy, as a waiter until I decided that they were entry level jobs and it was time to do something else.
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:14 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
According to this article which doesn't sound too unreasonable.....
https://www.denverpost.com/2013/08/0...isnt-too-much/

10% was standard in 1950. Because less was expected a waitress often had up to 10 tables.
Now we expect more (some have even deemed them our servants) this has led to 3-4 tables per waitress.
Cost of living has increased 10 fold. Cost of meal increased about 7 fold.

Also; When 15% became more standard many people asked, said they gave 20% because the math was easier.

You're welcome!
Thanks for the link to the interesting article. It seemed to make a good argument for an increased tip percentage; however, I was concerned that it might be biased having been written by a waiter.

So I searched the web and found the following comment (also from a waiter) about the situation today:

In diner style restaurants, wait staff could have around 10+ tables as all they would do is take an order and top up drinks. In fancier places, the staff may only have 3/4 tables as the service required is more in depth such as talking through the specials, wines etc.

Among numerous comments, I found no support for the idea that waiters in general handle fewer tables today than in the 1950s. The type of restaurant seems to be the main factor and this may not have changed over the years.

See:

https://www.quora.com/How-many-peopl...ndle-at-a-time

Regarding the claim that, since the 1950s, inflation in general has risen 10-fold and food has only risen 7-fold, I found the following:

1950 to 2018: Average annual rate of total inflation = 2.28%
1950 to 2018: Average annual rate of inflation for food = 3.44%

See:

1950 dollars in 2018 | Inflation Calculator

So it appears that the rising cost of food has more than kept up with inflation in general, making a 10% tip more valuable today than it was in 1950.
gepaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 06:19 AM   #89

Quote:
Since we're going with quora ..... lol.

Looks like 15% minimum. More like 18-20%.

https://www.quora.com/How-much-tip-s...in-restaurants
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 04:14 PM   #90

Commercial Member

Personally I feel that servers are being ripped off since they are being asked to work for $4.15 (Ohio law) an hour. I would prefer theyreceived a living wage and the prices be adjusted accordingly.

If you feel $4.15 is OK maybe you need to get your legislators to cut or eliminate minimum wage across the board.
Old 11-14-2018, 04:31 PM   #91

Quote:
This was touched on briefly by a previous post, but why is it that 10% was considered an average tip 50 years ago, but is now thought of as a minimum tip, appropriate for poor service?
According to my mother-in-law, who waitressed for a good portion of her life, 25 cents is the appropriate insult tip for poor service. Just enough to show you didn't forget to tip and the service was abysmal.
tdcolby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 05:07 PM   #92

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I always heard that you should tip very small and include a penny in the tip to let them know they didn't do well.

Glenn
Old 11-15-2018, 07:43 PM   #93

Commercial Member

Service?

Wonder if everyone knows how to tell if a meal taking longer than expected is the kitchen or the server's responsibility?
Old 11-15-2018, 08:07 PM   #94

I wonder how tempting it is for a server or cook to get even with a bad acting customer. How would you know if someone spit on your food? Never piss off a server until you are done being served!
grindstone01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 04:43 AM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Personally I feel that servers are being ripped off since they are being asked to work for $4.15 (Ohio law) an hour. I would prefer theyreceived a living wage and the prices be adjusted accordingly.

If you feel $4.15 is OK maybe you need to get your legislators to cut or eliminate minimum wage across the board.
I know many a server making WELL over the median income for this area..maybe that's because we are a tourist destination? Panama City Beach relies heavily on service staff and waitstaff do VERY well. So for an unskilled labor job, that's pretty damn good that they are above average when you factor in doctors, dentists, engineers, fast food workers, cashiers, janitors....etc. If you came in to this town and abolished tipping and gave them the median income (~ 47K here) you wouldn't have wait staff. I know many making over 70K at small inexpensive restaurants.
Big Shasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 05:23 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Shasta View Post
I know many a server making WELL over the median income for this area..maybe that's because we are a tourist destination? Panama City Beach relies heavily on service staff and waitstaff do VERY well. So for an unskilled labor job, that's pretty damn good that they are above average when you factor in doctors, dentists, engineers, fast food workers, cashiers, janitors....etc. If you came in to this town and abolished tipping and gave them the median income (~ 47K here) you wouldn't have wait staff. I know many making over 70K at small inexpensive restaurants.
I can't say much about what wait-staff makes per year, but would bet if somebody is making above average income they are not doing "unskilled" work.
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 04:14 PM   #97

This thread just reenforces what I already know
Tipping is stupid! As already stated just show me what the total bill is and I will pay it. Rocket science eliminated. Big tippers won't like this because it eliminates there opportunity to show off.
Just take the national tip average and add to the bill and do not allow tipping.
Costa Rica got it right.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:32 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
This thread just reenforces what I already know
Tipping is stupid! As already stated just show me what the total bill is and I will pay it. Rocket science eliminated. Big tippers won't like this because it eliminates there opportunity to show off.
Just take the national tip average and add to the bill and do not allow tipping.
Costa Rica got it right.

So where is the incentive for good service if the best employee and the worst employee get paid the same?

TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote