Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2018, 06:00 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Wow! I can't believe some of the emotion and venom displayed here by a few of the replies. In order to live a long life, it would appear that some people should stay in their homes and cook all their meals themselves!

Because I told the truth? It's not venom if it's facts, is it?

Quote:
I tip according to service received, I speak to the manager sometimes when I receive poor service, but ALWAYS when I receive exemplary service.
Do you actually know such as do you watch your server to see if they are putting you first ahead of cleaning up or going in the order of turns? Do you verify the prices on the menu with your check to make sure you don't have any overcharges? We have had many wrong prices over the years that were overcharged.

Do they get your order right for obvious things?

My point is, you may not know if you received good service or not.

Quote:
I don't always report poor service, because I generally don't know the back story in a specific case, and the server may just be having a bad day.
So that means they get to be uncaring and mean to you? You know they wouldn't put up with that or it would be right when it's the other way around when it's the customer having a bad day so why tolerate when they are doing it to you when you are paying for your experience, huh?

Quote:
There are some restaurants where we will ask the host or hostess for a specific server, based on prior service.
I have done that for many years, but servers quit and are usually in college. Also, sometimes they are not working that shift we go.

Quote:
Overall, if my iced tea is kept full,
Personally I rather have a new glass of iced tea than them pouring into the old watery iced tea. My x-boyfriend would hate it when our server poured the iced tea without asking first because he got it just perfectly sweetened.
Springs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2018, 06:01 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
Don't ask or refill my non alcoholic drink, affected. Don't stop and ask how the meal is - affected.

Then how will they just magically know what you want or how your meal was without asking?
Old 11-07-2018, 06:56 AM   #73

Quote:
Wow! I can't believe some of the emotion and venom displayed here by a few of the replies. ...

... Overall, if my iced tea is kept full, I am pretty easy to get along with!
I'm afraid I see more and more "venom" being expressed in so many areas. I like to converse with the wait staff especially when they are not busy, and I usually start the conversation with "how has your day been so far". You would be shocked to hear what they have to say. Some customers come into a restaurant just mad at the world and it escalates from there.

Like you, overall, if my iced tea is kept full and I see a smile, I am pretty easy to get along with!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 05:35 AM   #74

As I stated earlier, too much venom! I think I'll just go back to reading about RV's!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:04 AM   #75

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonJim View Post
I tip solely based on service. If I receive "average" service (and average changes depending on the quality of the establishment), I will generally tip about 20%. But, I will just as easily tip 50%, 100%, and sometimes more for exceptional service. Conversely, I will tip less for poor service, right down to leaving no tip at all....
Thank you. All of my kids have worked at restaurants at one time or another. All I would add is this; Even when giving great service the staff knows that throughout the day they are going to get stiffed. The best way to handle that is to continue to be positive and gracious to the next family/group you wait on. Sometimes this is very difficult with the other drama going on in the restaurant. I sure wouldn't want to wait on some people.
IMO if you don't have the budget for 20% or more tip....... stay at home.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:08 AM   #76

Quote:
As I stated earlier, too much venom! I think I'll just go back to reading about RV's!

You just don't want to hear facts, it's that simple. Not everything is going to be good. Sometimes things are bad and you have to accept that.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:11 AM   #77

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springs1 View Post
You just don't want to hear facts, it's that simple. Not everything is going to be good. Sometimes things are bad and you have to accept that.

On another note; Do you have an RV yet? Thanks for joining the forum though.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:57 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
...IMO if you don't have the budget for 20% or more tip....... stay at home.
I asked this earlier in the thread, but didn't get an answer.

How did we get from 10% being a satisfactory tip for good service to now when "20% or more" is expected?

Am I the only one old enough to remember when a standard tip was 10%?

And please don't say that the percentage needs to go up because the cost of living keeps going up. Again, rising meal prices automatically increase the dollar amount of a 10% tip so inflation protection is built in.
gepaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:52 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by gepaine View Post

How did we get from 10% being a satisfactory tip for good service to now when "20% or more" is expected?

And please don't say that the percentage needs to go up because the cost of living keeps going up. Again, rising meal prices automatically increase the dollar amount of a 10% tip so inflation protection is built in.
Shoot gepain, I'm old enough to remember 10% tip was standard, but due to inflation things keep going up.....sorry gepaine I couldn't help myself, the devil made me do it!

And no, I don't have a clue why 20% seems to be the new standard. Golly gee, till this topic came along I was still thinking 15% was standard. I feel so old now.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:43 AM   #80

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

According to this article which doesn't sound too unreasonable.....
https://www.denverpost.com/2013/08/0...isnt-too-much/

10% was standard in 1950. Because less was expected a waitress often had up to 10 tables.
Now we expect more (some have even deemed them our servants) this has led to 3-4 tables per waitress.
Cost of living has increased 10 fold. Cost of meal increased about 7 fold.

Also; When 15% became more standard many people asked, said they gave 20% because the math was easier.

You're welcome!
Old 11-08-2018, 11:47 AM   #81

Quote:

Servers got on line and posted that 10% was the minimum, 15% good, 20 very good service.

Soon you will be told 25% is very good, 20% good and 15% minimum.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:49 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springs1 View Post
So that means they get to be uncaring and mean to you? You know they wouldn't put up with that or it would be right when it's the other way around when it's the customer having a bad day so why tolerate when they are doing it to you when you are paying for your experience, huh?
If the server is just having a bad day, they should expect bad pay. Why take it beyond that?

Would you want someone to report you for every little occasional slip-up? Besides, if the server really is that bad all the time, they won't last long anyway.

It's the Golden Rule - do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
OregonJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:04 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Shoot gepain, I'm old enough to remember 10% tip was standard, but due to inflation things keep going up.....sorry gepaine I couldn't help myself, the devil made me do it!

And no, I don't have a clue why 20% seems to be the new standard. Golly gee, till this topic came along I was still thinking 15% was standard. I feel so old now.

As this thread has shown... There is no “standard”.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:18 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlott2k View Post
As this thread has shown... There is no “standard”.
I think we can reasonably assume that the "standard" is set by the amount that restaurants automatically add to the bill for large parties. I think that is now 18%.
gepaine is offline   Reply With Quote