Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2015, 08:39 PM   #29

There are many motor vehicle laws, including how to behave when confronted by an officer. I always wondered why it was not required when pulled over for an infraction, to place your hands on the steering wheel, for yours and the officers protection. If you are required to wear a seat belt, why no law, or at least a PSA to instruct drivers to do this for the well being of both parties.
I have been pulled over a couple of times in the last 20 years for warnings about equipment failure (lights) and always pull out my license, put it between my knuckles, with my hands on the wheel. Both times the officers thanked me for the gesture. This is for my protection too, everyone makes mistakes on their job, sometimes serious and I want to help protect against being a victim of one. Plus it just seems to be the polite thing to do.
When young I was always good natured with officers and when they asked "do you know why I pulled you over?" I always replied "I know exactly why you pulled me over". Those officers cut me more breaks than I deserved, but I also made sure my infractions were comitted where it was safer and would not involve others. Both my friends and I, knew our behavior was not acceptable for grown ups and did not want to be seen acting childish. Back in the day we were taught about shame, a different long gone time.
Going further back an amusing story to entertain you. At about the age of four, we were in the city, my dad left us kids in the car, with the oldest sibling in charge. Dad was only gone about 10 minutes, but in that time I saw two policeman hauling a kicking screaming woman down the street. I was scared to death that dad could be snatched randomly off the streets by police and started bawling for him. From that time forward I was silently scared to death of police. A year later while visiting a neighbor with my mother, her husband came home for lunch. He was a bus driver in uniform that I mistook for a policeman. I dove under the kitchen table scurried out of the room, ran out the front door and disappeared. Due to the way he entered the house and looked first right at me to say hello, I was sure that it was me being targeted for abduction. They spent considerable time looking for me, calling out reassuringly that everything was okay. The fear disappeared after that incident, when my dad talked to me about police and to not be afraid of them.

Steady_Rest is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2015, 09:39 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
There was a time when all positions of authority were respected: Police, Parents, Adults, Teachers, etc. That time is gone. It's gone because of the erosion of the family, the idea of political correctness, lack of holding individuals accountable for their actions, the inability to indicate to individuals that they did not meet the standards of decency or the grades.
The results of capitalism and a market economy. They have their virtues but they have no respect for tradition and values. Rural life was destroyed by the search for wealth in the city and increases in farm productivity, families spread all over the country looking for opportunity, people cast adrift learned to rely on themselves and put little faith in authority figures (a good thing too). Sex becomes a commodity and business uses it to sell product. Schools become businesses and students become customers and a good business knows to keep the customer happy. Every endeavor becomes an economic one and everything has a price.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:15 PM   #31

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menendez View Post
I'm reading some passive-aggressive racism in this thread. Some of you people should be ashamed; your behavior, while it must be tolerated, no longer meets with wide approval.
WOW!!!

Thanks SonnyB for the post. I do support and appreciate law enforcement and recognize the difficulties they face. And that is not followed by a "BUT"---
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 10:59 PM   #32

When I retired from law enforcement well over 20 years ago the officers in the USA were generally equipped with a hand gun and a locked up 870 shot gun somewhere in the police car. At that point in time that was all that was necessary to protect the officer and the "civilians". All that has changed because the bad guys kept powering up to higher capacity weapons. Our law enforcement officers should wear the best body armor available and yes it does look military but it does help protect the officer. As far as the weapons they do need to have weapons that are sufficiently aggressive to deal with the AK-47's or similar weapons so many bad guys seem to have. The officers weapons cannot be locked in the trunk of a patrol car like the good old days when the shotgun was rarely needed. OK, not all bad guys have an AK-47 but the officers have to be prepared for the ones that do. Back in the 70's I had the opportunity to spend a little time in Central and South America and also France, Italy, Spain and England. At that time the officers in those countries were equipped with very nasty looking weapons and wore body armor. I was happy that officers in the USA did not need that type of weapons.

Times change and these are just my thoughts and comments. I look back at my career with fond memories but am very (make that VERY) happy I did not have to face the issues our officers deal with daily.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:22 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menendez View Post
Note that the police took down the heavily armed Midwestern bandits of the 1930s (they commonly used BARs) without acting like or dressing like soldiers, though the cops were certainly heavily armed. And this penchant many coppers have for calling the citizenry "civilians" is disturbing, as though coppers are soldiers, an occupying army that must maintain it's distance from the conquered.

I'm reading some passive-aggressive racism in this thread. Some of you people should be ashamed; your behavior, while it must be tolerated, no longer meets with wide approval.
I suppose the police in the 1930's used BARs but the bad guys used Tommy guns. That was a long time ago and things have changed. I think most police departments consider themselves a para military unit so it would not be out of place for them to refer to the citizens as civilians, is that a derogatory term? Why is that disturbing? I guess I missed the passive-aggressive racism in this thread. Care to enlighten me?

All that said I would be interested in your view and would enjoy discussing this with you but I tend to think we won't agree
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 01:07 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTTransplant View Post
I believe the vast majority of LEOs are good, decent people. The problem I see is too many of those good decent folks protect the few bad apples among them by "The Line of Blue." All professions have bad actors in them, LEOs among them. The best way to get respect is to admit that and have all those good folks push the bad actors out.
This is so true. I've seen too many videos of officers act badly and in some cases criminally.

I've read of good officers stoping the bad ones and then getting fired so instead of the bad ones being removed it's the good ones.

And why in 2015 do we still have officers still trying to stop citizens from filing them. If any officer in any way shape or form bothers someone videoing them then that officer is a bad apple pure and simple. There is no justifiable reason to bother someone videoing police at work.

There is a problem in this country with too many officers just acting badly and that the reason why they are having the issues they are now.

So I beg the good officers to take your department back and help push out the bad apples.

And to those officers that are doing good keep it up and you'll continue to receive public support you deserve. You have mine as long as you stay in the good officer group.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:58 AM   #35
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyB View Post
Dear officer,

I want you to know that I see you. I see you choose the booth in the back of the restaurant that allows you to have your back against the wall. I see you walking to your next traffic stop, hoping it isn't your last. I see you pulled over, two hours past your shift as you finish your reports under a street light. I see you as you direct traffic in the scorching heat, the gusting snow and the pouring down rain. I see you being filmed every time you try to do your job. I see you as you watch mainstream media crucify your character while minimizing your cause. I see that you are tired. I see that you are frustrated and misunderstood. I see that you are hurting as the world watches you bury your brothers and sisters because they were guilty if one thing; wearing a uniform with a badge. I see you. I see you are of flesh and bones just like me. I see that you are a human being who has heart that beats for your calling to serve and protect. I see your cause and I want you to know that I appreciate it.

Credit to Elizabeth Shiftwell:
Dear Officer, I See You. | Humanizing the Badge

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum. 2014 Entegra DLQ

SonnyB
2014 Anthem DLQ
Jeep Liberty
2 Dogs:
Lou Lou (Yorker)
Casey (Weiner Dog)
Well said Sonny!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 11:13 AM   #36

I think it's very easy for us to sit atop our ivory towers and judge... but the fact of the matter is.. how many of us want to do that job ?

I surely don't.. I wouldn't have the patience...

It's a shame we have gotten to a place where it's "ok" to armchair-quarterback a police officer's every action... I think that's better left to experts.. and POLITICIANS are NOT experts... neither is the media...

I have great respect for the work police do.. I put them in the same category as soldiers.. They are doing the jobs I can't see myself doing..

So, as has been said many times before... walk a mile in their shoes.. then judge..
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 11:38 AM   #37

Ford Super Duty Owner
I live to seen the day when society gets it fill of the race baiters. I wish Law officers would load up their cars with the protesters. Every time they come to a location where a bad guy has a gun or knife, just put them out of the car and say OK pal go get the gun or knife from him. That way, I can not harm the bad guy. Most people do not know that the Rev. Al Sharpton is not a Rev. He never went to theological collage or school. He just started calling himself Rev. because it made him sound more believeable.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:53 AM   #38

Many years ago I said to the wife that TV shows that make stupid attractive (like Welcome Back, Kotter) and portray the police officer as either corrupt or stupid would come back to haunt us.

Guess what? Here it is, haunting us! Observe the current trends and you will see that now it is religion, whites, big businesses, etc that the movie producers are subtly attacking in the guise of entertainment.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:55 AM   #39

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If one is going to be a LEO hater because of a few bad apples, that is classic "throw the baby out with bathwater", mentality. This is another internal/management issue that needs to be addressed and soon. It will never be totally cured. There are incompetents in every field, and yes, there are many that could injure or kill people.
If the police really scare you, by all means don't call them if you have a problem.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:05 PM   #40

There are usually three types of people..

Those that hate law enforcement
Those that hate guns
Those that have no religion

But I guarantee you this....

The time will come they're in a dangerous situation (victim of crime) and they'll be wishing they had a gun and praying the police will show up soon...

Imagine that...
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 01:59 PM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakcreekeric View Post
there are usually three types of people..

Those that hate law enforcement
those that hate guns
those that have no religion

but i guarantee you this....

The time will come they're in a dangerous situation (victim of crime) and they'll be wishing they had a gun and praying the police will show up soon...

Imagine that...
very well said ! ! ! ! !
1999 NEWMAR American Star (for sale) SOLD !!![* Newmar Kountry Kklub # 19708 * THOUSAND TRAILS * 2006 Chevy 3500 Dually Dmax/Ally SOLD* Curt Q20 (For Sale)* Prodigy P2 *US ARMY 1965-1967 * Disabled Vietnam Veteran 1966-1967 * Life Member VFW *
99-Am.Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 07:22 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by demoon View Post
If one is going to be a LEO hater because of a few bad apples, that is classic "throw the baby out with bathwater", mentality. This is another internal/management issue that needs to be addressed and soon. It will never be totally cured. There are incompetents in every field, and yes, there are many that could injure or kill people.
If the police really scare you, by all means don't call them if you have a problem.
Although I've never said "throw the baby out with bathwater" I've heard other say it. But I agree we need more of the good officers to cross that thin blue line and hold the other accountable. I know it's hard but it's necessary to restore trust by the general public.