Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2015, 12:59 PM   #1

To All Law Enforcement Police

Dear officer,

I want you to know that I see you. I see you choose the booth in the back of the restaurant that allows you to have your back against the wall. I see you walking to your next traffic stop, hoping it isn't your last. I see you pulled over, two hours past your shift as you finish your reports under a street light. I see you as you direct traffic in the scorching heat, the gusting snow and the pouring down rain. I see you being filmed every time you try to do your job. I see you as you watch mainstream media crucify your character while minimizing your cause. I see that you are tired. I see that you are frustrated and misunderstood. I see that you are hurting as the world watches you bury your brothers and sisters because they were guilty if one thing; wearing a uniform with a badge. I see you. I see you are of flesh and bones just like me. I see that you are a human being who has heart that beats for your calling to serve and protect. I see your cause and I want you to know that I appreciate it.

Credit to Elizabeth Shiftwell:
http://www.humanizingthebadge.com/20...cer-i-see-you/

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum. 2014 Entegra DLQ

SonnyB
2014 Anthem DLQ
Jeep Liberty
2 Dogs:
Lou Lou (Yorker)
Casey (Weiner Dog)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2015, 01:16 PM   #2
paz

Amen.

Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 01:20 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
Wow! Thanks from a retired Officer. I wouldn't want to be looking at a new career with the conditions the new Officers are facing and the media on their backs.
John
08 Country Coach #12235
14 Ford Edge toad
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 01:37 PM   #4

X10

True that!!!!!
Old 08-29-2015, 01:40 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That's very touching, but Grammarly.com found that it is plagiarized from another source.

I thought that I had read it on another message board, so I checked.
Old 08-29-2015, 01:43 PM   #6

Carolina Campers
I see what you see. I fear for all the good police and other law enforcement officers that are truly great people, but they are looked at in a critical way due the actions of a few that abuse the office of authority that has been granted to them.

I also see when a few bad apples abuse their "power" to do harm on those that they should be defending. I see those that are ex-military that look at community enforcement in the same way that they look at military engagement. I also see those that are using their position of authority to uphold the old methods used in the south to keep those that are considered "undesirable" in their place.

As with most things, there are always two sides that need to be recognized. It is when we close our eyes to either side of these issues that we are truly blind.
Old 08-29-2015, 01:53 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
I see what you see. I fear for all the good police and other law enforcement officers that are truly great people, but they are looked at in a critical way due the actions of a few that abuse the office of authority that has been granted to them.

I also see when a few bad apples abuse their "power" to do harm on those that they should be defending. I see those that are ex-military that look at community enforcement in the same way that they look at military engagement. I also see those that are using their position of authority to uphold the old methods used in the south to keep those that are considered "undesirable" in their place.

As with most things, there are always two sides that need to be recognized. It is when we close our eyes to either side of these issues that we are truly blind.
That I agree with!

Recently, in the Los Angeles/Long Beach/Orage County/ area when you see police, you see men dressed in para-military black, with bullet-proof jackets, black boots, and an automatic AR15 strapped across the chest, military style.

That does nothing for public relations, or to garner respect. Is it a show of force.

I come from family of LEOs. And, the retired ones in my family admit that what is going on today with police becoming militarized, is only going to escalate.

As American Citizens it's more important now than ever to realize that our constitutional rights and civil liberties are at stake. Keep an open eye.
Old 08-29-2015, 02:23 PM   #8

Spent many, many years playing martial arts in So Cal. Trained with many law enforcement types. My impression was that every one I ever met were great guys who had entered the profession for the most noble of reasons, but as they seasoned, the realities of the 'justice system', the underbelly of society that they commonly dealt with, and the general public's acceptance of the biased median portrayal of them, took its toll. Personally, I feel that what they go thru reflects the overwhelming attitude I see throughout the public. The rules are for everybody but me. Those entrusted with enforcing the law in an atmosphere where it's everyone else's fault but the perpetrator's have far more patience than I ever would have been capable of.
'Course I always felt Dirty Harry Callahan was a softy.
Old 08-29-2015, 05:05 PM   #9

Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by biosensai View Post
Spent many, many years playing martial arts in So Cal. Trained with many law enforcement types. My impression was that every one I ever met were great guys who had entered the profession for the most noble of reasons, but as they seasoned, the realities of the 'justice system', the underbelly of society that they commonly dealt with, and the general public's acceptance of the biased median portrayal of them, took its toll. Personally, I feel that what they go thru reflects the overwhelming attitude I see throughout the public. The rules are for everybody but me. Those entrusted with enforcing the law in an atmosphere where it's everyone else's fault but the perpetrator's have far more patience than I ever would have been capable of.
'Course I always felt Dirty Harry Callahan was a softy.
I agree. I think the militarized looks and actions are in response to some people in society thinking that cops lives DO NOT matter. Sheriff deputy in Houston just today "executed". Wouldn't you wear those things for your own safety today? If you don't want to get5 shot by police, just pull over and do what they say,. SIMPLE!
Old 08-29-2015, 11:02 PM   #10

SonnyB thanks for posting. It matters not where the thought comes from but the heart. After 37 years of being an LEO it's nice to read something like that. <K9piper>
Old 08-29-2015, 11:06 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachDude View Post
That's very touching, but Grammarly.com found that it is plagiarized from another source.

I thought that I had read it on another message board, so I checked.
His post includes a reference to the author, Elizabeth Shiftwell.

And the news today in Houston... http://www.click2houston.com/news/hc...eputy/34983706

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 12:47 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
His post includes a reference to the author, Elizabeth Shiftwell.

And the news today in Houston... HCSO: Suspect arrested, charged in shooting death of sheriff's deputy | News - Home
It does now. It didn't originally.
Old 08-30-2015, 01:02 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My son is a Deputy Sherrif in FL and my son-in-law a policeman in White Plains NY. I worry for them, their spouses and children (my grandchildren) everyday! They don't put their names on their mailbox for fear someone may figure out their home and do harm to the or their loved ones. They travel to and from work in civilian clothes and change in the locker rooms for the same reason. As for AR15's or other weapons, they only carry what they have been trained with, but they both fear the unknown of what a criminal will have when they respond to a call. Cops need weapons that are a match or better than the criminals, they need clothing that is functional and they need body armor as well. No one who puts his or her life on the line to serve and protect should have to fear being shot in the head while pumping gas!
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 02:11 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachDude View Post
That I agree with!

Recently, in the Los Angeles/Long Beach/Orage County/ area when you see police, you see men dressed in para-military black, with bullet-proof jackets, black boots, and an automatic AR15 strapped across the chest, military style.

That does nothing for public relations, or to garner respect. Is it a show of force.

I come from family of LEOs. And, the retired ones in my family admit that what is going on today with police becoming militarized, is only going to escalate.

As American Citizens it's more important now than ever to realize that our constitutional rights and civil liberties are at stake. Keep an open eye.

This is very true. It also reflects in the attitude of some officers.

Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote