Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-29-2010, 08:03 PM   #1
Fleetwood Owners Club
to Mr. CP Cooper and everyone else too

The following is an 'open letter'' to mr C.P. Cooper and anyone else interested in going to Alaska. This letter contains MY OPENION on a lot of stuff and you can bet that I am wrong about half the time. (the fun part is figuring out ''which half'')............... ANYHOW. HERE GOES..

ONE. If this is your first trip to Alaska you will need a Mile Post book. This is your bible for the Alaska Highway and other points of interest. Yes, there are other books but you can get by with just the Mile Post.

TWO. Have your coach or Tug vehicle and your trailer or 5er checked out by a mechanic you trust. I suggest that if you havent changed the ''liquids'' in your convayence that you do this now. I mean the rear end grease, break fluid, radiator fluid etc etc etc. It is money well spent if you have an older rig and have the mechanic check everything. Breaks, rotors, pads, lines etc. install new hoses if yours are more than 3 years old and the same for fan belts. Money well spent...... make your rig as road worthey as you can because you are going to me in some places that it is fifty miles to the next ''place''..........

THREE. GO SLOW. By that I mean ''take your time'' and see, smell, taste, feel, look at, sit on, sniff, touch your trip. The road to Alaska thru Canada is an expierence in its self. Look for water falls, flowers, birds, eagles, bears, kangaroos, doll sheep, bighorn sheep, kangaroos, little foxes, ''peek-a-boos'', caraboo, big wolves, ptarmigans, artic rabbits, raindeer, Santa Clause, drunk sailors and all the wild life you dont see around your house.........

Next.... Stop often and be a part of a wonderful land. Find a quiet place and just sit and listen to the deafening sound of silence. Yes, there are really quiet places for you to find and you can just sit with your eyes closed and listen to God go for coffee in the early morning. Muncho Lake is good for this. Been there and done that...(see my article on here somewhere)

FIVE..... Boondock. Yep, the alcan is good for boon docking. Lots of wide places along side the road that are just made for boon docking. If someone is already there go knock and say HOWDY... CAN WE JOIN YOU? I have never been turned down and this will usually lead to tall tails, campfires, good friendships, marshmellows on a stick, lots of laughs and sometimes some 12 year old single malt or some smooth Bacarti lite with coke. Word to the wise.. LEAVE NOTHING BUT TIRE TRACKS AND FOOTPRINTS AND ASHES FROM THE FIRE. IF YOU MAKE A MESS AND LEAVE IT, I WILL FIND YOU AND YOU WONT LIKE IT.............
Seriously, dont leave anything that you would not want in your front yard.

NEXT ONE.. (I have lost count now) when I cross the stripe going into Canada I always figure at least 60 days back to the stripe. This gives you time to really enjoy your trip. A trip to Alaska is like a fine wine, a really good meal or makin' love to a beautiful woman. It is to be savored, tasted, felt, sniffed, touched and lingered over to really enjoy the ambiance of same. 60 days gives you time to stop and fish, pan for gold, go for boat rides, go for airplane rides, and train rides, and just ''goof off'' where you find a pretty place. In my humble openion one month is way too little time for an Alaska trip unless you are going to fly up there and fly back.

ANOTHER ONE... go to Dawson City, take the gold strike tour, go to Gold Toothed Gurties and play black jack. Have a drink and watch the show. Go up on the mountain behind the town and look down.... WOW....... you can look one way and see tomorrow and the other way and see yesterday. If it is in good shape cross the ''top of the world'' take that route to Chicken and Tok. Check conditions before entering. It can be rough but if you can pass on it i ....... it is well worth the trip......

ANOTHER ONE... Go to Scagway....... going in it is all ''DOWNHILL'' SO watch your brakes and tranny. Stop and let things cool if necessary, I think the ''downhill is seven miles long''..... It is worth the ride and really beautiful.
Take the train up on the pass. Sit on the left hand side of the car and ''look down'' and become a Christian real quick.....lol.......''Oh God, if you will just let me live thru this, I will never cuss or gamble or drink or swear again''.......

NEXT.. Watch for frost heaves, whooper doos , chuck holes, broken road, kangaroos, and big trucks...... Yes the Alcan can be rough, have pot holes, be dusty on the gravel parts and narrow in places but it is well worth the hazards to make the trip. Yes, your coach is going to get dirty, real dirty. DO NOT BOTHER TO WASH YOUR COACH IN DAWSON CREEK GOING UP..... it is a waste of time and money. When we went up in 05 the Alcan was about your average two lane road here in the states. Yes they were fixing parts of it and yes some of it is kinda rough but all in all it is a good road. YES there are parts of it that they can not pave due to perma frost. And Yes, you will probably get a chip in your windshield. Buy a ''kit'' and fix it yourself. I have four in my drivers windshield alone and I fixed them all myself. And yes, you will probably get some paint chips out of the front of your rig. Such is life. If you want to keep it ''virgin'' stay home.........

NEXT THING. Look here on IRV2, JUST CONVERSATION and you will find other people that have asked the same questions you have and there are some wonderful people that will love to help you plan your trip.

OTHER NEXT...... Try the ''local foods''. Eat some moose meat, bear burgers, raindeer sausage with an Alka Selser to chase it. Eat some Halabut, and try some of the Salmon and some Crab Legs. Taste Alaska, it is really good. Dont eat the kangaroo, its kinda tough........

LAST ONE.... Go fishin' if you love to catch fish. Go to Valsease and catch all the salmon you can haul in and they will be jumpin'' in the bay when you can not pull another one in. been there and done that, twice

ANOTHER LAST ONE... take the glacier tours on the boats up there at valdese .

If this helps you must pay me ten cents the next time you see me and if you dont like your trip to Alaska and you dont have fun and you dont think it was worth the dust, and bumps, and frost heaves, and narrow roads, and the friendly people and all the wonders that God created a long time ago and we put a road thru it.............. Just let me know and I will give you a dollar the next time I see you.....

remember...... this is my opinion and I will show you my ''belly button'' later if you like............

May God bless our troops and keep them safe and bring them home to us 'cause we miss them.........

Thank a Vet for your freedoms ....... They earned them while you slept in a nice warm bed, safe and sound........... think about that....

Nuff Said for now.....
ps..... I throwed in kangaroos and '''peek-a-boos'' to see if you were reading this closely.......

Me. the sailor man .

Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2010, 08:25 PM   #2
Thank you!
Story here
MickBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote