Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-30-2013, 07:44 AM   #71
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
It was purple for crying out loud!

I rest my ...... I'll just rest.

Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2008 Winnebago Destination 39W
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2013, 07:59 AM   #72
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I just click on "New Posts" or "Todays Post" and either read and/or answer if I can. Don't really care what brand it is if I have a correct and beneficial answer, especially if no one else has responded. Am I doing it wrong?
I think you have it right. I don't even own a RV but have help many folks on this board with issues and have been thanked many times. I'm not an engine guy or a chassis guy or even a paint guy. I'm just me and I would like to share what knowledge I do have. You're always going to find the "alpha dog" that wants to impart their knowledge on you even if it's wrong because they believe it to be right. Those are the kind that scare me.

The Beer Man and Woman (Ray and Tabitha)
2013 Infiniti G37x
Future Entegra Owner & Semper Fi!!!
Whatnobeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:12 AM   #73
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by jamesgr81 View Post
I think that this needless anger and the need to strike out at anyone who disagrees is just the sign of the times. It's fueled by the endless media attacks on those who disagree. It's a constant us vs. them mentality.

It's just sad that we can't discuss anything nowdays without degrading to "you're any idiot", or worse. It seems that there is no more civil discourse. Politics and religion have always been divisive, but today we are paralyzed with an inability to agree on things that should be done for the common good. Even on how to enjoy our RV experience.

I don't want to argue about anything. Many people are so set in their thinking that they will not accept any other viewpoint.

This has filtered down to the weblog. People write just as they act in public. Mean, argumentative responses that are just not helpful. Why the rage?

One of my very best pals has become a very grumpy old man. He always gets so mad when he sees people doing things incorrectly or worse, doing things that are not the way he would do them. I always tell him, don't fret over things you cant control. Even his kids and grandkids have taken to calling him grumpy. I guess it's part of getting old for some people.

I agree.
Society is not getting better.

A few years ago I was working with a Psychologist and asked
him why people had such different personalities, as they got old.
I was observing people in a Nursing Home at the time.

Some were the sweet little old ladies and some were grumpier
and meaner than a junkyard dog.

He said they have found it relates to how they were all their life.
If the sweet little old lady was easy going and friendly, she
would be much more so as she got older.

If she was a mean, evil, straight razzor toten woman, then she
would very mean and hateful in old age.

The base personality seems to intensify with age for both
men and women.

Quiet, friendly, helpful, aggressive (verbally and physically),
bossy, opinionated, etc. all traits intensified.

Very few people ever went from being aggressive in younger
years to mellow in their older years.
We are K&K for Kathy & Ken - Both retired.
She accounting, he Law Enforcement
Oldme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:32 AM   #74

Entegra Owners Club
OK, so I'll accept culpability...I've been chastised for being "grumpy"..rightly so by the mods, and I try real hard to take a higher approach.

OTOH, it seems that many times the trouble comes when sometimes people provide an "answer" without considering the forum they are on. It would seem to be useful to look at the forum, consider the age and brand from which your experience comes from, and whether your input applies. Many cases, the advice will apply. But when issues are very coach specific, it would be useful to offer,,,JMHO. All have a right to respond to any post...I try to look at my response WRT does it add value...and it is a challenge for me; hopefully, I'm making progress. Unfortunately, I'm also getting older
Dave and Beth
2015 Cornerstone 45J
Ford F-150 and 2016 Polaris Razor
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:17 PM   #75
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
Perfect example of original post!
For your information, I am not one of the grumpy old men that the OP was referring to. This thread caught my attention because I was upset over several arrogant responses to a recent post of mine, where I was only trying to help a newcomer asking for opinions. Your post struck a nerve because quite frankly, I don't feel the need to fix the world. This entire internet forum and social media thing is probably not for me, because the younger people seem to be even grumpier and more outspoken.

I had this poem framed, after seeing it on the office wall of one of the finest persons I have ever met. I read and think of it often.

The Guy in the Glass

When you get what you want in your struggle for pelf,
And the world makes you King for a day,
Then go to the mirror and look at yourself,
And see what that guy has to say.
For it isn't your Father, or Mother, or Wife,
Who judgement upon you must pass.
The feller whose verdict counts most in your life
Is the guy staring back from the glass.
He's the feller to please, never mind all the rest,
For he's with you clear up to the end,
And you've passed your most dangerous, difficult test
If the guy in the glass is your friend.
You may be like Jack Horner and "chisel" a plum,
And think you're a wonderful guy,
But the man in the glass says you're only a bum
If you can't look him straight in the eye.
You can fool the whole world down the pathway of years,
And get pats on the back as you pass,
But your final reward will be heartaches and tears
If you've cheated the guy in the glass.

Dale Wimbrow 1895-1954
Air Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:44 PM   #76
Monaco Owners Club
If I was the one that gave you an arrogant reply to your post I didn't intend for it to come off that way. I have no need to fix the world or change it even if I could. I have always tried to give good info. to people looking for advice. After 40 years of trucking experience and maintaining these things I feel I can offer some advice on several of the systems on motor coaches. If I don't know I don't post.

I'm sorry if you feel the forum isn't for you. Good poem! I too,like the guy in the glass!
Dennis & Marcie & Hook The Jack Russell, 2001 HR Imperial 38wds 350 Cummins, 07 Chevy Trailblazer/Blue Ox/Ready Brake, 04 Dodge 3500 Cummins,
slickest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:45 PM   #77
Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
One should read what one wrote. good advice, if you follow it!
"If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all".
All people are not eloquent in their efforts to reply to A QUESTION OR QUERY. If you don't like an answer or a reply just delete it. Forget about it. Doubt if it was meant personally. And if it was meant personally, so what, delete it. Why let that person ruin your day! Lighten up, Forget about it. There is an old Scandinavian saying---"Argue with an A$$ and make thyself an A$$." Please don't go to name calling and accusations about "Grumpy Old Men! " Remember what you wrote! "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all". Enjoy IRV2... safe travels..ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:45 PM   #78
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Air Baron..........Good poem!!!!
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:51 AM   #79
Originally Posted by usinvestment View Post
I've found this forum to be very useful and user friendly. I've gained good insight to outfitting our class A coach. When providing constructive feedback and comments to "Help" others.

Too often there are the "Grumpy Old Men" that comment and slam myself and many others who truly are commenting in good faith to help. Most of their slams are not helpful or constructive, but more to take a personal jab at the commenter.

My point being to these grumpy old men, remember what your mother told you, if you can remember back that far. "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all".

I'm not here to argue or disagree but to help and learn from others and don't appreciate the grumpy old men pretending to be tough by slamming and putting other people down.

This is why I've refrained from posting much of anything lately, not even visiting the site much.
The one site/forum I visit ALL the time is marlinowners.com, you won't see any flaming or bashing there. They all seem to be very professional and hospitable toward each other.
malexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:43 AM   #80
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Wiki says:

"Flaming, also known as bashing, is hostile and insulting interaction between Internet users, often involving the use of profanity."

I don't think we see any of that on this forum. We see heated discussions that are based on trivial differences and emotional discussions. I don't remember seeing anyone on this forum that is a flamer, someone motivated to incite flaming. Many of the items that we see as remarks for someones post is caused by the lack of face to face communications that show social cues, like a smile, a smirk, a shrug of shoulders and many more that fact to face communications exhibit.

The moderators of this forum do a very good job of keeping flamers off, and linforming those that miscommunication of their wrongdoings either by PM or by poast. If you want to call it wrongdoing.

As published (Wikipedia), "...online conversations often involve a variety of assumptions and motives unique to each individual user. Without social context users are often helpless to know the intentions of their counterparts....the inherent lack of face-to-face communications online can encourage hostility..."
Old 10-31-2013, 08:50 AM   #81

Well said, MSgt. Semper Fi
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:53 AM   #82
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sorry for the mispelling. I type around 70 wpm and I guess I need to slow down.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:31 AM   #83
Fleetwood Owners Club
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Sorry for the mispelling. I type around 70 wpm and I guess I need to slow down.
I type 70 letters a minute. Lol.
so47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:49 AM   #84
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think I came here in 2004 when I bought the last new motorhome and this forum has been a great blessing for me. I think I qualify for the old part at age 82 but can't remember ever making a grumpy or sarcastic post. Most of mine are questions or thank you's, or sometimes just good information I have learned.
Some comment on being thick skinned but remember there is also thin skinned.
Best regards to all, Bebop Bill a NON Grumpy OLD MAN

Bill, Jann
2004 Rexhall Rexair, W22, 3250BSL, Vortec 8.1, Allison 5 speed, 2 slides, Saturn SC2 and 2013 Chev Sonic toads.
BEBOP is offline   Reply With Quote